smokescreens

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Ok, sorry to you to. I guess it happens. Honestly hard water should not effect a quality ceramic coatings lifespan. Water spotting should also not really be an issue as water should be beading off your car pretty quickly. You should also be drying your car immediately after rinsing.

I would suggest have a pro look at it before adding anything more. Once you know what you have you can move forward.
Also part of the learning curve. Nowhere for shade and in direct sunlight in the heat. Looking at a car port or at least a pop up tent for those sunny days.

This is my first car i can afford to splurge on and is not a daily. Dad at 17 and two sons kept my pockets empty for a number of years. Had nice vehicles for the most part but never really cared outside of basic wash/wax. Now i can have a pleasure car and enjoy playing.

20210419_115242.png
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
In general, what I consider a professional-level coating, applied by a detailing-type shop, will last several years. The detailer I'll be using for some PPF work advised a complete car ceramic coating would take several days to apply and cure, last several years and cost around $3K.

Over-the-counter products work well and cost significantly less, but generally last one season. They will not provide the same level of protection or coverage as the above.

I gained a lot of insight by touring a few shops and chatting them up about what they had to offer and their price points; they can also advise how to best care for any work being accomplished. If-possible, in-person is great. You get a feel for the crew and the shop for the work being done.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
In general, what I consider a professional-level coating, applied by a detailing-type shop, will last several years. The detailer I'll be using for some PPF work advised a complete car ceramic coating would take several days to apply and cure, last several years and cost around $3K.

Over-the-counter products work well and cost significantly less, but generally last one season. They will not provide the same level of protection or coverage as the above.

I gained a lot of insight by touring a few shops and chatting them up about what they had to offer and their price points; they can also advise how to best care for any work being accomplished. If-possible, in-person is great. You get a feel for the crew and the shop for the work being done.
Good post and excellent advise. I would also search member @DFB5.0 as his insight will be invaluable to everyone here.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
The coating itself isn’t the expensive part nor is it hard to do. It’s all the work and time you put into prep before the ceramic can be applied. That’s what a majority of the cost is. Mcs- as for stripping mine. Unsure yet. Longitivity will all depend on washes, rain or daily driver. And maintaining the ceramic. Mine never sees rain and is not my daily and I apply a coat of reload atleast once a month. Atleast until I redo to the new stuff. But man, the prep can be a ball buster. More so on darker colors.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
A couple of things to clear up and unpack here.

-Not all coatings are super long term. Some ceramic coatings can last 3-5-7 years, others can last 1 year, such as CarPro Lite or Gyeon Q2 ONE.

-Ceramic coatings are often sold as the best product for long term durability, as well as to people who want something that will be quick and easy to clean. Yes, ceramic coatings do achieve that, but..............................

-Ceramic coating need to be maintained! I feel that people (and I'm not pointing fingers here, just an observation) believe that these products are indestructible and therefore treat them as such. To achieve the quoted longevity claims, the coating need to be washed regularly, decontaminated regularly and topped regularly with a maintenance coating. Coatings in some ways are just as, if not more time consuming over their life as applying a traditional wax or sealant every 6 months.

-Ceramic coatings become "clogged" over time and as such need to be cleansed of those contaminants to maintain or revive their water repellency.

The above might come across as if I'm anti-ceramic coatings. Not true, they have their place and have their benefits. I do however believe they are being wrongly sold to people who don't understand the work that comes with them to achieve their potential.

To the OP, I would urge you to do a decontamination wash first before applying a new coating. Firstly, wash the car with a product like CarPro Descale, this soap was designed to revive ceramic coatings. I would then follow up Descale with an iron remover like CarPro IronX or P&S Iron Buster. From there, you would apply a Si02 based product like CarPro Reload or Gtechniq C2v3 to help protect and extend the base layer coating. Those actions may save you from going out and spending up on a new coating.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I am really loving the new cquartz SIC ceramic. I did my new hood in it but the rest of the car was done in the cquartz euro which requires you to apply a coat of the reload every now and again. But the new SIC formula doesn't require it since it is actually slicker than the reload. Its a night and day difference in slickness. I am planning to redo the whole car in the SIC stuff. Not sure how long it will last but very happy with the results thus far.
Do you us the 30 or the 50? Why?

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
-Ceramic coatings become "clogged" over time and as such need to be cleansed of those contaminants to maintain or revive their water repellency.
This is on my list of stuff to do next! Once the new hood is on the plan is to decontaminate everything else, see about removing the previous "coating" and then do everything all at once with a professional, and local, detail shop that works with higher-end cars.

OP
OP
smokescreens

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
A couple of things to clear up and unpack here.

-Not all coatings are super long term. Some ceramic coatings can last 3-5-7 years, others can last 1 year, such as CarPro Lite or Gyeon Q2 ONE.

-Ceramic coatings are often sold as the best product for long term durability, as well as to people who want something that will be quick and easy to clean. Yes, ceramic coatings do achieve that, but..............................

-Ceramic coating need to be maintained! I feel that people (and I'm not pointing fingers here, just an observation) believe that these products are indestructible and therefore treat them as such. To achieve the quoted longevity claims, the coating need to be washed regularly, decontaminated regularly and topped regularly with a maintenance coating. Coatings in some ways are just as, if not more time consuming over their life as applying a traditional wax or sealant every 6 months.

The above might come across as if I'm anti-ceramic coatings. Not true, they have their place and have their benefits. I do however believe they are being wrongly sold to people who don't understand the work that comes with them to achieve their potential.

To the OP, I would urge you to do a decontamination wash first before applying a new coating. Firstly, wash the car with a product like CarPro Descale, this soap was designed to revive ceramic coatings. I would then follow up Descale with an iron remover like CarPro IronX or P&S Iron Buster. From there, you would apply a Si02 based product like CarPro Reload or Gtechniq C2v3 to help protect and extend the base layer coating. Those actions may save you from going out and spending up on a new coating.
Thank you. I was not aware the coating can clog up. Just ordered the descale, ironx, eraser and reload.

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I got a year at best out of my ceramic coating. Had a guy do it and im not sure what he used. That being said im wondering what brands are recommended by the community here? Going to mustang week in myrtle beach in 2 months and want to get it redone before then.
Why do you say you need another one?

If you really had a ceramic coating done. It really should at minimum last a couple years. I'd say you probably have a clogged coating. Buy Carpro descale and wash your vehicle with it. See how it does.

Also if you have time and patience, you can do it yourself. It cost me about 1k for all the stuff to do it, but it will only cost me the product for now on.
Richard

20220227_191416.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokescreens

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
Why do you say you need another one?

If you really had a ceramic coating done. It really should at minimum last a couple years. I'd say you probably have a clogged coating. Buy Carpro descale and wash your vehicle with it. See how it does.

Also if you have time and patience, you can do it yourself. It cost me about 1k for all the stuff to do it, but it will only cost me the product for now on.
Richard

20220227_191416.jpg
Thank you. New to ceramic coatings i Wasn't aware it can clog up nor that it needs maintenance. After previous reply by dfb5.0 i ordered descale, ironx, eraser, and reload. I will give it a go when it comes in.

Sponsored

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Thank you. New to ceramic coatings i Wasn't aware it can clog up nor that it needs maintenance. After previous reply by dfb5.0 i ordered descale, ironx, eraser, and reload. I will give it a go when it comes in.
Oh, yea, they know their stuff, have read many of his posts. Good stuff to order listed.

Take your time and best of luck.

Richard

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
There goes more crap into my Amazon cart LOL I just did some tire care stuff last week and now comes the rest of the body!

OP
OP
smokescreens

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
There goes more crap into my Amazon cart LOL I just did some tire care stuff last week and now comes the rest of the body!
I always say i will make more money tomorrow, lol.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Carpro descale
Booooo... Amazon.ca doesn't have this! They have TRIX and INTENSIVE CARE but not DESCALE

I always say i will make more money tomorrow, lol.
Ain't that the truth? Except the girlfriend wants to go to Portugal next year and she's fancy so it'll cost a lot!
Sponsored