Sponsored

I drove a 911 992 S yesterday and I genuinely think my 22 mustang gt is better!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Anyway, I didn't think much about the 911 that passed me but I noticed it said Carrera Turbo S (it was a convertible). As we got on the freeway, he floored it, and my reaction was overshadowed by my wife and son both saying, "holy shit that things fast".. Hell, I have trouble cutting a sub 3.5 second 0-60 so I knew I couldn't keep up off the line. I was impressed so when he slowed down, I invited him to the strip for roll racing night.

He was quick off the line but from a roll he couldn't keep up from 40 to about 120 and would fall a few cars behind me.. After 120 though he started to creep up and would eventually gain the ground back and pass me. I'm guessing that's the aerodynamics and 1000 pound weight difference (car alone is 500lb I think). If you count the drivers and track staff members in the car with each of us it's close to 1000lb. The ragazine numbers put the convertible at something like a 10.3@135 and 640 horse. I may have an additional 100hp at 750 with the blower but I can only hit 135mph at the strip in January when it's 60 outside.

The AWD launches and power to weight ratio for the Turbo S make it a car I want to drive, but I'll never own one or be able to afford one. I have to agree with the bug comments, for the price it costs, It could use a facelift. No denying that porsche knows how to create a driver's car though. I had to look up all this up after what happened though because most of the time the Porsche guys are like the C8 guys... Just cruising along ignoring me. I'll keep my Mustang :)
There is no Carrera Turbo S. It's either Carrera S or Turbo S. You probably didn't race a 992 911 Turbo S which smashes even a S550 GT500 from a roll (unless you are significantly quicker than a GT500). Also, weight is less of a factor as speeds climb, where aerodynamics are more critical. So yeah, the 911 is more aerodynamic than the Mustang so that helped the 911's cause at higher speeds. Besides, Mustang GTs have so much lift at high speeds they get lighter the faster you go.

I really hope the OP meant a Carrera 4s. Unless his Mustang is FI and has seriously good traction on the street, it is not anywhere in the realm of a Turbo S. Its a neck snapping AWD launch and runs 10.3 easy.

if i could have one $300k car it would be a Turbo S with an intake, upgraded intercoolers, high flow cats, an M Engineering Pro Tune and a PDK tune. Thats a car that will run low/mid 9s and out brake and out handle about everything within reason.

It is probably borderline impossible to mod an S550 to do all the things as well as a stage 2 Turbo S will do them and still be able to drive in the rain if you want and go run a couple errands if you want.
I'm sure the OP meant Carrera S or 4S. There's no way anyone confuses a GT's acceleration with a 911 Turbo S (esp a 992 Turbo S) unless it's a heavily boosted GT. But even still, a 992 Carrera S is also quicker than a regular GT.
Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
As much I like new 911s, I like my Mustang more, it has more "soul", its an american muscle car. But if someone wants to trade a brand new, souped up 911, I am all in 😂

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I own a Cayman (best handling Porsche according to some) and I can attest that the GT350 is more fun to drive and the handling is comparable with the Sport Cup 2’s. The exhaust is what tips the scales…. Porscha - Smorscha…!!!

Fit & finish is better from Stuttgart, but overall thrill in driving experience is definitely won by Ford Performance.
Well comparing a GT350 to a normal Cayman is like comparing a Cayman GT4 to an Ecoboost 'Stang: not really fair.

My GT4 is definitely a more connected and mechanical experience than even my Mach 1 (let alone a base GT). Overall performance wise, the GT4 definitely wins. I've yet to encounter a Mustang that was faster on track, including a small handful of GT350s... Of course, with a better meatbag behind the wheel, who knows, but I'm not that fast, either.

Sound wise, it's actually really close, stock for stock... But I think the GT4 has it beat. That Voodoo might have the matchup by a hair, though.

... All that said, I still prefer the Mach 1's personality on the street, partly because it doesn't beat the shit out of me or make me terrified of tiny potholes. But its interior actually is nicer and more comfortable, and it actually has more and better standard interior amenities than a GT4. And of course, it still offers plenty of smiles per gallon when I'm not trying to set lap times.

Last edited:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I understand the engine sound thing. My Supra 3.0 is fun to drive, lightweight, responsive and by most accounts a decent sounding non V8 engine (inline 6), but it's got nothing on a Coyote or esp. the LT4 in my ZL1.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I'm sure the OP meant Carrera S or 4S. There's no way anyone confuses a GT's acceleration with a 911 Turbo S (esp a 992 Turbo S) unless it's a heavily boosted GT. But even still, a 992 Carrera S is also quicker than a regular GT.
Even a base Carrera will be faster than any stock Mustang (except maybe a GT500) in a straight line... at least until you get to high enough speeds where the Mustang's power advantage might start to matter.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
There is no Carrera Turbo S. It's either Carrera S or Turbo S. You probably didn't race a 992 911 Turbo S which smashes even a S550 GT500 from a roll (unless you are significantly quicker than a GT500). Also, weight is less of a factor as speeds climb, where aerodynamics are more critical. So yeah, the 911 is more aerodynamic than the Mustang so that helped the 911's cause at higher speeds. Besides, Mustang GTs have so much lift at high speeds they get lighter the faster you go.

License plate was not on car. Temp tags identified it as a 2024. It was a convertible. How many Porsches say Turbo S on the back? I don't worry about too many cars on the street to say the least and this was faster than anything I've raced from a stop. It said Turbo S... What else could it say? 911? I don't know the difference between one turbo S and another but it sure looked like every other Porsche 911 I've seen. I know the GT-3's are slow and have seen GT-2's run mid 11's...

I was impressed by whatever 2024 Turbo S it was. The AWD was what killed my "heavily boosted" Mustang from a roll though IMO... it was fast AF off the line... But at 40 "in a straight line" he couldn't keep up with a family car GT :p

1714538094411-ke.png

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Would I prefer a 992 GTS, absolutely, BUT no manual transmission here so is a no no for me but my Bullitt, with aIl it’s FORD foibles was A$86k whereas the Porsche is A$400k so that has sealed the deal for all time. However I saw my first Ferrari 296 on the road yesterday. Holy sh..t. What a fabulous car! https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ferrari/296-gtb BUT costs $650k so even further away than the Porsche but again, no manual transmission. 😩
de-ferrari-296-gtb-intro-mob?width=768&height=1024.jpg

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
I find this thread very interesting, and the different perspectives interesting. I’ve considered one of the 911 variants on multiple occasions, but have always ended up going a different direction for one reason or another. (Still plan to own one, one of these days.)

I’ve owned/leased roughly 35 cars in my lifetime, including 10 different mustangs spanning almost every generation. (More than some I’m sure, but less than others I’m guessing.)

I’ve driven a really wide variety of cars, Mustangs, S2000, Focus ST/RS, BMW, Lexus RCF, 370.if it was a performance car in its particular era, I probably tired it.

With that said, I always found the German cars to be unbelievably capable. Really well sorted, amazing fit and finish, and just next level good overall. (Ever wonder why BMW drivers seem like jerks? Because BMWs are so good at what they do even an idiot can drive them well really fast.)

The one Porsche I drove was a Boxster S. Amazing car. Totally get the Porsches mystique just from a short drive in one.

But here’s the deal; with all due respect to the Porsche enthusiasts and lineage, my impression of all the German cars I’ve ever driven (Porsche, Mercedes, VW, BMW) is they’re almost too good at what they do.

They seem like soulless, precision instruments, designed to do a job, and they do that job extremely well.

If you’re looking for a car that’s the “best” at what it does, it’s really hard to find better than a 911, M4, E63 AMG. But if you want something with character, a soul, and of course the quirks/flaws that go with it, you’ll be hard pressed to find something better than a Mustang. (Even the modern cars posses a certain something that just makes them different. Which is probably part of the reason they march on while the Camaro and Hellcats are done.)

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
now if we were talking about the 718 Cayman GTS4, that's just incredible value for the price. but then obviously everybody and their brother would say 'well how come you didn't just get the 911???'

i think ppl in general have ruined half of what being a car enthusiast should be. why cant you just be happy for the guy when he's not driving around in a honda element and happy as can be in a honda civic Si coupe? if he's excited about the sound it makes, and that he's tuning it up to make it faster or look more appealing, then just be happy for that bro.

i wrestle with myself all the time over an audi S4 or RS5 vs my car, and almost every time, it comes back to my car is just such a better value overall. sure ppl would stop making stupid jokes about killin crowds and ppl might be like 'hey, nice audi' but after paying a repair bill or two, and not being scared to death when i gave it the beans in or out of a corner, i'd probably just be bored and mad at how much it's costing me.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just thought I would take this opportunity to post a picture of my brothers garage queen :like:

May I introduce his 1980's 'beetle' :

1714554293445-pb.jpg

Compared to most other 80's cars, it friggin awesome when you compare build quility / fit and finish / fun factor etc etc.

The only problem I can see is that the wheel is on the wrong side, but you guys may like that ... :giggle: (I believe in that era, the LHD cars were better to drive than the RHD equivalents - I think it was something to do with the pedal and rack setup being compromised in the RHD ?).

We've done the 1200 mile road trip to Lemans multiple times in that car (temporarily getting our passports confiscated on one occasion ...), I don't think there are many 80's cars that would have coped with those trips quite as well as his old beetle ...

I believe that when comparing same era to same era, they still compare favorably to most other cars, and model dependant, they are a supercar for everyday use :like:

WD :like:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
always found the German cars to be unbelievably capable. Really well sorted, amazing fit and finish, and just next level good overall.
Same with my 3012 s5 Audi. V8 and 6mt. It only has 340hp but drives so well. The mustang is raw boisterous no question.