I did it, 2020 F150 intake manifold on a GT

tw557

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Outstanding!
all the tq and then fall on its face when the coyote wants to rev past 5k LOL!
Maybe the gains aren't as much with the other chart because of both on e85. But with this chart with an old truck mamifold, it makes more power and a lot more at times up to 6700. I've got no problem with that on the street. You constantly busted on the op for afraid of 8000 rpm. Well I'll tell you, I am.

Screenshot_20210219-181736_Gallery.jpg

Advertisement

NotagainV2

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
LOL look at that graph. Its down almost 40hp on the big end it would get destroyed!

Look at the TQ difference on the big end too. Doubly Destroyed Haha.

After about 6700 its game over. Thats per gear every shift. Pair it with a 10 speed that keeps the car in the meat of the power band and drops less than 1k rpm per shift and itll be absolutely an embarassment.

That graph should show enough if its a gen3 F150 intake vs an Gen3 GT.

Momogt26

Reaction score
First Name
dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2012 mustang gt
LOL look at that graph. Its down almost 40hp on the big end it would get destroyed!

Look at the TQ difference on the big end too. Doubly Destroyed Haha.

After about 6700 its game over. Thats per gear every shift. Pair it with a 10 speed that keeps the car in the meat of the power band and drops less than 1k rpm per shift and itll be absolutely an embarassment.

That graph should show enough if its a gen3 F150 intake vs an Gen3 GT.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the 18 gt manifold isn't king over the f150 manifold its pretty clear. Again it's a comparison between the gen3 f150 intake and the Gen 2 mustang gt intake

tw557

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Notagainv2. Do you have a problem listening. Well actually you do. Many of us do not RACE our f'in car to and from work every day! Get over it. I, me, and others, not you, would rather have more power for 6500 rpm then 1000. I DO NOT CARE THAT I WILL LOSE A RACE. My racing years are in the past. You accomplished what you wanted. Just like a freaking toddler. You won't shut up until the adults give up and stop talking. I Assume you feel good and giggle that you screwed up our conversation.

Zelek

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP, 2018 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T
May as well get a Camaro or Challenger if you want the 6k redline. If you aren't taking this car to 7600-7700 rpm with an 18 manifold, you're missing out on a lot of fun.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
COYOTE
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Many of us do not RACE our f'in car to and from work every day!
And you make the smart decision to buy an ecoboost. Great choice for a DD !

I Bleed Ford Blue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 grabber blue GT PP1 convertible, 2018 blue metallic explorer sport
Notagainv2. Do you have a problem listening. Well actually you do. Many of us do not RACE our f'in car to and from work every day! Get over it. I, me, and others, not you, would rather have more power for 6500 rpm then 1000. I DO NOT CARE THAT I WILL LOSE A RACE. My racing years are in the past. You accomplished what you wanted. Just like a freaking toddler. You won't shut up until the adults give up and stop talking. I Assume you feel good and giggle that you screwed up our conversation.
Just put him on ignore then you will never have to see his posts anymore

NotagainV2

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
No this thread is the dumpster fire I just cant look away from.

The justification gymnastics in here make facebook forums look like the B team.

Last edited:

tw557

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
May as well get a Camaro or Challenger if you want the 6k redline. If you aren't taking this car to 7600-7700 rpm with an 18 manifold, you're missing out on a lot of fun.
You probably are right that I am missing out on fun hitting those RPM. I miss hitting redline thru the gears to 160 on the racebike at such places like Daytona. But that same bike was boring on the street. Then I get a big bore sportbike and the roll on torque was so much fun. Yeah, I do like the power of the other brands. But NOTHING about the other brands apeals to me. It really is sort of amazing that it literally deeply bothers people about what others like. And I'll admit it, maybe I'll miss the high rpm power and change to an 18+ intake too. One thing I learned the hard way in racing and engineering, you don't know what you don't know. The only way to find out is try it.

The ecoboost was a great daily driver. And the high rpm drop off was boring as crap at 5000. Reliability was a concern too. I have the funds for a GT, plan to keep it awhile and look forward to experimenting with it to get it just how "I" like it. And I'll be honest, once I get a good tune for what I have from probably PBD I might be completely satisfied. But the OP was simply doing an interesting experiment that had me thinking "hmm, I just might like this outcome. And then the close minded childish BS.

It has nothing to do with self justification. If we try and we like it fine, If not we switch it back. We are not shoving this down anyones throat. Unlike notagainv2, who knows all, knows what is best for everyone else, and really seems to need to justify his car.

Maybe I'll block soon or I guess I'll just start PMing the OP for some info since you guys lite the dumpster on fire and killed the thread anyway.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
COYOTE
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'll block soon or I guess I'll just start PMing the OP for some info since you guys lite the dumpster on fire and killed the thread anyway
With the truck 18 manifold there are slight gains below 6500 rpm vs the 15-17 GT manifold. WHich is great. Gains are gains cause both take a dump at 6500 or so.

That said, just got into when it was suggested it would be a better manifold than the 18+ GT version. Which is utter nonsense. The tune the OP is using is optimized for the original 17 manny with the exception of the CMCV delete or upping the voltage to the CMCV (I forget which one it was). VMP did the same, they didn't play around with the VCT, timing, or anything else to take advantage of the 18+ GT manifold. They just wanted to do a strict 'compare only'. Really you don't even need a tune if you go 18+ GT manny / boss manny / etc. on a 15-17 car because the added airflow is after the MAF so the engine really doesn't give a shit, but at the same time you're not taking advantage of the manny inherited design, which a good tune will.

The simplest explanation of different manifolds is that it'll take the power curve and either move it all to the left or all to the right from baseline. So yeah, you may give up a little bottom end with a 18+ GT manny and gain a little bottom end using the 18+ truck manny. So If I have a NA car for a DD with a 6r80 and 3.15 gears with 27.5 " tall tires (factory height) I may wanna use 18+ truck manny if I don't wanna change the rear gear ratio.

Now on the opposite end of the spectrum, I went with a 2020 intake on my 17, and I upped the gear ratio from 3.31 to 3.73. Do you really think I'm losing and bottom end vs a 3.15/3.31 geared 15-17 NA car with a 18+ truck intake ? No. Do the math and I'm actually making more torque. Yeah I changed the gear and that was an extra expense but you gotta pay to play. Cheers.

Momogt26

Reaction score
First Name
dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2012 mustang gt
With the truck 18 manifold there are slight gains below 6500 rpm vs the 15-17 GT manifold. WHich is great. Gains are gains cause both take a dump at 6500 or so.

That said, just got into when it was suggested it would be a better manifold than the 18+ GT version. Which is utter nonsense. The tune the OP is using is optimized for the original 17 manny with the exception of the CMCV delete or upping the voltage to the CMCV (I forget which one it was). VMP did the same, they didn't play around with the VCT, timing, or anything else to take advantage of the 18+ GT manifold. They just wanted to do a strict 'compare only'. Really you don't even need a tune if you go 18+ GT manny / boss manny / etc. on a 15-17 car because the added airflow is after the MAF so the engine really doesn't give a shit, but at the same time you're not taking advantage of the manny inherited design, which a good tune will.

The simplest explanation of different manifolds is that it'll take the power curve and either move it all to the left or all to the right from baseline. So yeah, you may give up a little bottom end with a 18+ GT manny and gain a little bottom end using the 18+ truck manny. So If I have a NA car for a DD with a 6r80 and 3.15 gears with 27.5 " tall tires (factory height) I may wanna use 18+ truck manny if I don't wanna change the rear gear ratio.

Now on the opposite end of the spectrum, I went with a 2020 intake on my 17, and I upped the gear ratio from 3.31 to 3.73. Do you really think I'm losing and bottom end vs a 3.15/3.31 geared 15-17 NA car with a 18+ truck intake ? No. Do the math and I'm actually making more torque. Yeah I changed the gear and that was an extra expense but you gotta pay to play. Cheers.
Well said makes sense thanks so much.

tw557

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Wildhorse, yeah I'm good with all stated for sure. I used to really enjoy setting up and tuning my race motors for different tracks and such. I learned so much about picking either top end, low end or somewhere in between. Especially since nothing I raced had VVT. Single speed kart racing I learned to lean towards torque. My 600 race bike I setup for a narrow peak power but damn if I missed power band out of a turn and pay the price. I generally learned over the years I didn't give torque enough credit and when in doubt setup for torque.

So what caught my attention here was I might only give up a 1000 rpm band up top of power loss compared to gaining for a band of 6700rpm. No real peak power loss but need to shift quicker. I do plan a couple autocross and hopefully a track day or 2 on my old bike tracks. Changing the gears certainly crossed my mind too. I'm at 3.55 now though. I will probably try an 18 gt manifold also. Will the 18 manifold CMCV valves work without any special tuning? And once I get my first tune next month I might be mostly satisfied, well for now anyway!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
COYOTE
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Will the 18 manifold CMCV valves work without any special tuning? And once I get my first tune next month I might be mostly satisfied, well for now anyway!
No. The voltages for the 18+ CMCV are higher than the 15-17 CMCV (even if you use the pigtails). So you'll get a CMCV stuck open code, so the voltage values need to be changed. I mean technically you can bolt it on and it will drive, it'll just throw that code.

tw557

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
OK. At least it looks like most tuners can seem to adjust for this. Vmp specifically seemed to mention they will adjust for the newer manifold needs. They didn't mention in detail but I didn't ask in detail. Now since I still have trying the 18+ Truck up my butt, did I inderstand that maybe the truck CMCV parameters are different then the 18+ gt. If they were the same I could get a tune for the 18+ gt manifold, get both manifolds and try with the same tune. Truck manifolds are dirt cheap.

Advertisement

19 - Diode Dynamics - 1

Advertisement