N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'll block soon or I guess I'll just start PMing the OP for some info since you guys lite the dumpster on fire and killed the thread anyway
With the truck 18 manifold there are slight gains below 6500 rpm vs the 15-17 GT manifold. WHich is great. Gains are gains cause both take a dump at 6500 or so.

That said, just got into when it was suggested it would be a better manifold than the 18+ GT version. Which is utter nonsense. The tune the OP is using is optimized for the original 17 manny with the exception of the CMCV delete or upping the voltage to the CMCV (I forget which one it was). VMP did the same, they didn't play around with the VCT, timing, or anything else to take advantage of the 18+ GT manifold. They just wanted to do a strict 'compare only'. Really you don't even need a tune if you go 18+ GT manny / boss manny / etc. on a 15-17 car because the added airflow is after the MAF so the engine really doesn't give a shit, but at the same time you're not taking advantage of the manny inherited design, which a good tune will.

The simplest explanation of different manifolds is that it'll take the power curve and either move it all to the left or all to the right from baseline. So yeah, you may give up a little bottom end with a 18+ GT manny and gain a little bottom end using the 18+ truck manny. So If I have a NA car for a DD with a 6r80 and 3.15 gears with 27.5 " tall tires (factory height) I may wanna use 18+ truck manny if I don't wanna change the rear gear ratio.

Now on the opposite end of the spectrum, I went with a 2020 intake on my 17, and I upped the gear ratio from 3.31 to 3.73. Do you really think I'm losing and bottom end vs a 3.15/3.31 geared 15-17 NA car with a 18+ truck intake ? No. Do the math and I'm actually making more torque. Yeah I changed the gear and that was an extra expense but you gotta pay to play. Cheers.
Sponsored

Momogt26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
With the truck 18 manifold there are slight gains below 6500 rpm vs the 15-17 GT manifold. WHich is great. Gains are gains cause both take a dump at 6500 or so.

That said, just got into when it was suggested it would be a better manifold than the 18+ GT version. Which is utter nonsense. The tune the OP is using is optimized for the original 17 manny with the exception of the CMCV delete or upping the voltage to the CMCV (I forget which one it was). VMP did the same, they didn't play around with the VCT, timing, or anything else to take advantage of the 18+ GT manifold. They just wanted to do a strict 'compare only'. Really you don't even need a tune if you go 18+ GT manny / boss manny / etc. on a 15-17 car because the added airflow is after the MAF so the engine really doesn't give a shit, but at the same time you're not taking advantage of the manny inherited design, which a good tune will.

The simplest explanation of different manifolds is that it'll take the power curve and either move it all to the left or all to the right from baseline. So yeah, you may give up a little bottom end with a 18+ GT manny and gain a little bottom end using the 18+ truck manny. So If I have a NA car for a DD with a 6r80 and 3.15 gears with 27.5 " tall tires (factory height) I may wanna use 18+ truck manny if I don't wanna change the rear gear ratio.

Now on the opposite end of the spectrum, I went with a 2020 intake on my 17, and I upped the gear ratio from 3.31 to 3.73. Do you really think I'm losing and bottom end vs a 3.15/3.31 geared 15-17 NA car with a 18+ truck intake ? No. Do the math and I'm actually making more torque. Yeah I changed the gear and that was an extra expense but you gotta pay to play. Cheers.
Well said makes sense thanks so much.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Wildhorse, yeah I'm good with all stated for sure. I used to really enjoy setting up and tuning my race motors for different tracks and such. I learned so much about picking either top end, low end or somewhere in between. Especially since nothing I raced had VVT. Single speed kart racing I learned to lean towards torque. My 600 race bike I setup for a narrow peak power but damn if I missed power band out of a turn and pay the price. I generally learned over the years I didn't give torque enough credit and when in doubt setup for torque.

So what caught my attention here was I might only give up a 1000 rpm band up top of power loss compared to gaining for a band of 6700rpm. No real peak power loss but need to shift quicker. I do plan a couple autocross and hopefully a track day or 2 on my old bike tracks. Changing the gears certainly crossed my mind too. I'm at 3.55 now though. I will probably try an 18 gt manifold also. Will the 18 manifold CMCV valves work without any special tuning? And once I get my first tune next month I might be mostly satisfied, well for now anyway!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Will the 18 manifold CMCV valves work without any special tuning? And once I get my first tune next month I might be mostly satisfied, well for now anyway!
No. The voltages for the 18+ CMCV are higher than the 15-17 CMCV (even if you use the pigtails). So you'll get a CMCV stuck open code, so the voltage values need to be changed. I mean technically you can bolt it on and it will drive, it'll just throw that code.

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
OK. At least it looks like most tuners can seem to adjust for this. Vmp specifically seemed to mention they will adjust for the newer manifold needs. They didn't mention in detail but I didn't ask in detail. Now since I still have trying the 18+ Truck up my butt, did I inderstand that maybe the truck CMCV parameters are different then the 18+ gt. If they were the same I could get a tune for the 18+ gt manifold, get both manifolds and try with the same tune. Truck manifolds are dirt cheap.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Now since I still have trying the 18+ Truck up my butt, did I inderstand that maybe the truck CMCV parameters are different then the 18+ gt. If they were the same I could get a tune for the 18+ gt manifold, get both manifolds and try with the same tune.
I have no clue. You'd have to ask VMP.

Momogt26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The truck manifold setting are different op posted the parameters I have hp tuner I got stock tune for 2019 gt and f150

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Vmp did get back to me and said they would be able to make changes to make whichever intake I choose to work.

Sponsored
OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I said I would update this, so here it is.

After changing cam timing my 1/8 mile MPH is the same as with the 17 GT manifold. Without changing the cam timing it was .25 MPH slower. Don't know about ET as I could not get any traction. I am thinking about getting a dyno pull or two.

I don't want to wait till April for an open Drag strip.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I don't think runs on the street are a true measure. Especially with cold temps and variability in the launch among other things.

Need to do a dyno with both intakes on the same day on the same dyno. Multiple runs for each intake and take the average.

Also why only 1/8th mile? Seems like you're tailoring this to get the results you want to see.

What was the ambient temperature and the DA of the air on the day that you use the stock manifold versus the day you use the truck manifold? What was your tire temperature? Was the tire pressure the same? Did you have the same amount of gas in the tank? Was the car intake air temperature the same for both runs?

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Need to do a dyno with both intakes on the same day on the same dyno. Multiple runs for each intake and take the average.
^^ this. Today my car makes 545 Flywheel HP with the DA / TEMP / HUMIDITY. No way I'm making that in the middle of July.
Sponsored