Sponsored

i can’t be the only one who runs regular in a GT right?

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Let me explain something about pumping your own gas. I lived in NJ for all of 65 years and I always pumped my own gas in my CJ Mustangs in the '60s because I was a regular and knew the owners. When I went outside my area I got out and watched the gas jockey pump in my cars that they usually admired. Now I live in NC and almost all the gas stations are convenience stores so you can also buy your beer and lottery tickets while your car is sitting at the pump taking up space where somebody just like me just wants gas. If it's raining or 20 degrees get out and pump your own gas. Pumping your own is highly overrated. BTW I only use reg in my 2021 GT
The moment I was old enough to manage it, my mom made me pump her gas. She had no desire to do it. I can understand why. (If you're curious, it was about age 12)
Sponsored

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I some times have to laugh at both sides of this debate, both have good points although some are a stretch. When I got my '18 GT I ran a series of street tests going thru 3-4 tankfuls of 87, then 3-4 tankfuls of 93. I ignored the first tankful of each series to make sure everything was cleaned out. For perspective my '18 is my fourth Mustang dating back to my first a '69 302, I grew up in high school hot rodding old school, distributers with points, manual timing, etc. Again this is street use only, not max performance or track.
I doubt that 99% of drivers including this forum could reliably and consistently under normal spirited street driving tell the difference between 87 and 93, yes during my testing I could at times notice a difference but again I was paying 100% attention to it and not enjoying the drive.
It really boils down to individual preference, you can't really go wrong either way.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
The moment I was old enough to manage it, my mom made me pump her gas. She had no desire to do it. I can understand why. (If you're curious, it was about age 12)
My wife waits to fill up util I'm driving somewhere with her. “Lets stop and get gas” i look down and she has half a tank.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
My wife waits to fill up util I'm driving somewhere with her. “Lets stop and get gas” i look down and she has half a tank.
Hello; Nearly all the time i get gas when my tank is around half a tank. Especially on an interstate drive and in the winter. Never hurts to have plenty of fuel on the interstate.
With the electric fuel pumps in the gas tanks it is the gasoline which cools the pump motors. My thinking is running a tank close to empty can over time hurt a fuel pump.

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I run 93 in everything. Any car I have owned including the Mustang, the wife's Pilot, the motorcycle, lawnmower, and chainsaw (obvs with 2-stroke mix). Firm believer in the higher octane mixes having better additive packages.

Anecdotal, I know, but I have never used Stabil or a similar product in anything stored for the winter (bike and lawnmower mostly) and each starts flawlessly every spring. The bike, mower, and chainsaw are all approaching 15 years old, and even with 10% ethanol as the only option... No fuel line rot, etc.

Lost of people say things like 'oil is cheap, engines are expensive' for stuff like Amsoil or 3k oil changes, etc. 93 octane for a couple bucks more per fillup is the same thing IMO.

Sponsored

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I run 93 in everything. Any car I have owned including the Mustang, the wife's Pilot, the motorcycle, lawnmower, and chainsaw (obvs with 2-stroke mix). Firm believer in the higher octane mixes having better additive packages.

Anecdotal, I know, but I have never used Stabil or a similar product in anything stored for the winter (bike and lawnmower mostly) and each starts flawlessly every spring. The bike, mower, and chainsaw are all approaching 15 years old, and even with 10% ethanol as the only option... No fuel line rot, etc.

Lost of people say things like 'oil is cheap, engines are expensive' for stuff like Amsoil or 3k oil changes, etc. 93 octane for a couple bucks more per fillup is the same thing IMO.
Yeah I thought the other pump options that post 87, 89 were just there for decoration.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My car is on its first (ever) tank of gas. It was filled up by the dealership. What are the chances it's not regular? hehe. I think about 0. But I won't be driving it hard during the first tank. Needs break-in.
I asked for 91 and they gave me 88, lmao. Oh well, good enough for puttering around.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt mustang shadow black 10 sp
i have been running 93 but i have a feeling with the cost of premium that people are not using it that much and it is sitting in tanks for much longer time getting stale.

MotoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford F150 XLT Supercab
I started running 93 octane COSTCO gas in my 2018 5.0 F150 about a year into ownership(when they built the COSTCO, was 93 QT before that), and the engine runs much better on it IMHO.

So, the GT I just got a month ago? 93 COSTCO for the win!

In my area, west GA, the 93 is about 14 cents higher than the corner Texaco 87 octane at convenience store. No problems with stale gas at the club, there is a line usually even with the 18 pumps they have.

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Hmmm I don't know about that around this area, as I see plenty of BMW M, Mercedes AMG, and other makes pumping it.

i have been running 93 but i have a feeling with the cost of premium that people are not using it that much and it is sitting in tanks for much longer time getting stale.

Sponsored

bossmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
lmao you guys act like i’m using all 460hp on streets with 50mph max in jersey with cops who are all over your ass for anything 🙄🙄🙄
bro i totally understand your situation. I used to live in Philly and drove to NYC like every week for work. The NJ cops are complete dushes and they are everywhere. I moved to houston, texas. Cops are barelly seen. When I see one, I get surprised, they are just NOT there. But everyone is driving like there is no tomorrow though :))))) A normal thing to see in houston, is someone making a 70mph on the shoulder, to skip a line in traffic. That is impossible to do in NJ without getting pulled over. In NJ you getting pulled over farting in your car.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
bro i totally understand your situation. I used to live in Philly and drove to NYC like every week for work. The NJ cops are complete dushes and they are everywhere. I moved to houston, texas. Cops are barelly seen. When I see one, I get surprised, they are just NOT there. But everyone is driving like there is no tomorrow though :))))) A normal thing to see in houston, is someone making a 70mph on the shoulder, to skip a line in traffic. That is impossible to do in NJ without getting pulled over. In NJ you getting pulled over farting in your car.
lmao, i try not to fart in the heated seats, just cooks it….🤣

been a while since i’ve posted! she’s been great. 3000miles now. a ton of rock chips on the hood i’ve had to touch up bc of that crap soft ford paint 🙄 but she’s amazing

however, for the first time since nov, now that i was driving with the windows down a few times in the nice weather, i’ve realized that unfortunately i do hear a SLIGHT couple knocks at each shift…so i clutch in, shift, and as i clutch out and give it gas, i hear a couple fast knocks. so i guess now i’m going to try the next grade up from 87 and see if that helps any…which blows because i’m pretty sure it’s 40 cents more than what it is, so i’ll probably be around $4.50/gal. yuck

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
lmao, i try not to fart in the heated seats, just cooks it….🤣

been a while since i’ve posted! she’s been great. 3000miles now. a ton of rock chips on the hood i’ve had to touch up bc of that crap soft ford paint 🙄 but she’s amazing

however, for the first time since nov, now that i was driving with the windows down a few times in the nice weather, i’ve realized that unfortunately i do hear a SLIGHT couple knocks at each shift…so i clutch in, shift, and as i clutch out and give it gas, i hear a couple fast knocks. so i guess now i’m going to try the next grade up from 87 and see if that helps any…which blows because i’m pretty sure it’s 40 cents more than what it is, so i’ll probably be around $4.50/gal. yuck
Wow. Im already at 6k but no rock chips yet thankfully.

The knocks, are they engine or trans? My 2019 had bad linkage rattle/knocks when shifting.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma

The knocks, are they engine or trans? My 2019 had bad linkage rattle/knocks when shifting.
it’s the engine, i used to hear the same style of clanky knocks in my old 2014 3.7 when i tuned it and ran 87…i had an 87 tune but i needed to run like 91 to make it not knock…MPT sucked lol. but when they edited the tune and retarded the timing, it stopped. so i have a feeling the timing is just being adjusted to stop the knock but doesn’t catch it all, so i prob need to run the next octane higher.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Rocks are heavier than air and don't bounce that well. If you can stay far enough behind the vehicle in front, any stones they throw up will have landed by the time you get there. Not easy to do in traffic and the more stones in the road, the more chips you get when you don't leave that much room. You drive on clean/uncrowded roads and/or have great discipline. 👍
Sponsored