Sponsored

I am on the verge of selling my Mustang guys...

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
The buyer is picking her up mid next week. I am very melancholy over it, I sold it for a fair price. I am not going to have a car for a while. I am either considering a new S650 or a BMW M2. I am torn...
M2 yesssssss.......

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
only because you A10 drivers can't admit/abide the truthiness of the assertion. :)
10 speeds of disappointment 😎

Honestly who cares what's more reliable in the long term, if he likes a car and have the money to fix it he will, lol.

Probably should lease an M2 and then if you don't like it you can get an S650 at any time.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Everyone commenting on the reliability of BMWs. Sorry it is falling on deaf ears, as Ford has a huge amount of its own problems as well.

BMW ranks so much higher than Ford in this regard, please lets don't go down this road. Once again you are talking to someone who has owned 8 of them including 3 of them out of warranty including my 2013 M3 which I owned for almost 8 yrs. and 4 of those years out of warranty.

Reliability is not the reason I am selling my Mustang though. I had my share of recalls though.
Reliability and COST of repairs............ My wife drove BMW's exclusively for 20 years, and I owned an E36 M3 for 18 years.

I would NEVER vouch for Ford reliability, as this is my first and only Ford, but I can tell you that in the 4 years I have owned it, it has been flawless, and 3 of my friends (including my brother) with BMW's are always in the shop. Only my brother still has his because it is a lease. I absolutely LOVE his car, it is the Twin Turbo V8 M6 Grand Coupe (I think) Amazing performance, but so overly complex. Something is always getting tripped.

Don't get me wrong, I love the cars, but you can not overlook the cost of maintaining any Euro Sports car over an American. Even down to routine maintenance, or 'expected' failures. Price out a new Starter, Alternator, Water Pump,, AC components, brake rotors, calipers, Radiator, etc. The Mustang is pennies on the dollar for these out of warranty repairs compared to any BMW.

I REALLY wanted an M2 Competition, and almost went for it, but looking at the long term cost of ownership and retirement (THIS SUMMER!) The Mustang won out...... Yet here I am considering a 911! LOL............... The 991 fell through, so I am still in the hunt, and am regretting pulling the Steeda Shocks and Struts out of the car. I wil ikely end up putting them back in. THey are that much better than the FOrd Stuff.......

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/chevrolet-icon-tr-2/
Reliability and COST of repairs............ My wife drove BMW's exclusively for 20 years, and I owned an E36 M3 for 18 years.

I would NEVER vouch for Ford reliability, as this is my first and only Ford, but I can tell you that in the 4 years I have owned it, it has been flawless, and 3 of my friends (including my brother) with BMW's are always in the shop. Only my brother still has his because it is a lease. I absolutely LOVE his car, it is the Twin Turbo V8 M6 Grand Coupe (I think) Amazing performance, but so overly complex. Something is always getting tripped.

Don't get me wrong, I love the cars, but you can not overlook the cost of maintaining any Euro Sports car over an American. Even down to routine maintenance, or 'expected' failures. Price out a new Starter, Alternator, Water Pump,, AC components, brake rotors, calipers, Radiator, etc. The Mustang is pennies on the dollar for these out of warranty repairs compared to any BMW.

I REALLY wanted an M2 Competition, and almost went for it, but looking at the long term cost of ownership and retirement (THIS SUMMER!) The Mustang won out...... Yet here I am considering a 911! LOL............... The 991 fell through, so I am still in the hunt, and am regretting pulling the Steeda Shocks and Struts out of the car. I wil ikely end up putting them back in. THey are that much better than the FOrd Stuff.......
The M6 or M8 or any BMW with the V8 is much more likely to require expensive repairs than the recent inline 6 models. The turbo charger placement retains too much heat and causes a variety of problems. V8 models also tend to have a list of luxury options not found in other models, which means more stuff to break.

I am a huge Porsche fan as well a BMW. I chose the Z4 M40i for peace of mind over the 997.2 I owned. I would have bought a 991.2 if I could have afforded it, but they are double what the Z4 cost me. I will not own another 997.2 or 991.1. The block is an open deck and cylinder walls are aluminum, so bore scoring is a real possibility, as is a failure with the PDK due to a sensor. The likelihood of failure isn't real high but the repair costs could run over $50k and take a year or more. The 991.2 has a closed deck design with sprayed metal liners and improvements to the PDK. I chose the Z4 because the B58 engine and ZF 8 speed are basically bulletproof.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

an M2 is a bargain to maintain compared to that 911 you're considering. My coworker had one with the intention of doing headers and an exhaust. Those two parts were $7k each before labor. Ended up selling the car for a ZL1 but for unrelated reasons.

The truth of the matter is however, if you're using the dealer as your source of maintenance costs you're not doing it right. If you're out of warranty the dealer is not your friend, an M2 is not exotic enough to warrant brining it to the dealer for service/repairs after the warranty is expired. its a 2 series, any dedicated performance or euro shop can do it.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Well I secured an allocation for the M2. Car is scheduled to be built at the end of April, I'm lucky to get it by the end of July. The S650 on order won't probably be here until the end of June. I will make a decision then

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Well I secured an allocation for the M2. Car is scheduled to be built at the end of April, I'm lucky to get it by the end of July. The S650 on order won't probably be here until the end of June. I will make a decision then
A lot depends on if they can go through the Panama Canal or not. They have had drought problems and low water levels for some time, so it's iffy.

Mach Daddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Are you going for the power potential of the car or do you actually think that monstrosity looks good??? Saw one in black today and man it's ugly and boxy. But the M3 and M4 are phenomenal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
A lot depends on if they can go through the Panama Canal or not. They have had drought problems and low water levels for some time, so it's iffy.
They don't have to go around the Panama Canal, they are built in Mexico. BMW built a state of the art factory there.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
They don't have to go around the Panama Canal, they are built in Mexico. BMW built a state of the art factory there.
Dave, wish you the best in your next car and I’d love to hear your comparison to the Mach 1. Here’s a picture of my Mach next to the M2 I was contemplating on buying off the lot.
Mach 1 is just so much better looking imo!

IMG_2933.jpeg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Damn! I'm hoping that price will go down a little as inflation hopefully does too
Don't count on prices going down. Inflation is actually still very high, and the Fed is talking about cutting rates anyway. Probably we will see even more inflation in the near future.

And remember, even if inflation is zero, that just means prices stay constant. I doubt we will see prices go down for a while.

You just aren't going to change people minds, no matter what. I spent more on repairs on my 2018 Mustang GT with 18k miles than on any BMW I owned. You have to know which models to buy and which ones to avoid.
When did your 2018 Mustang go out of warranty and what happened? You must have sold it very recently?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Dave, wish you the best in your next car and I’d love to hear your comparison to the Mach 1. Here’s a picture of my Mach next to the M2 I was contemplating on buying off the lot.
Mach 1 is just so much better looking imo!

IMG_2933.jpeg
The BMW doesn't look too bad from that angle. The rear is where it gets weird in my opinion.

Edit: is it just me, or have our S550s started to look a little dated?

Mach Daddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
The BMW doesn't look too bad from that angle. The rear is where it gets weird in my opinion.

Edit: is it just me, or have our S550s started to look a little dated?
I just picked up my Mach 1 and traded in my 22 supra for it. The Mach is a good looking car, the regular base 5.0 looks boring to me though

20230521_101012.jpg

20240317_131857.jpg
Sponsored