Sponsored

How to tell if a car has PP1 + Magneride?

ing3nious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mom mobile
Hi everyone, I'm very interested in getting a GT PP1 + magneride sometime next year. I've found that while its quite easy to spot PP1 cars due to the rims, it is near impossible to find out if they have magneride. This post has some great ideas, (window sticker, dash UI for the strut setting, looking at the struts for a wiring harness) and then this one was the holy grail listing the SPR for the various cars. Still, window stickers and door jam VIN stickers are not available on most listings, is there anything else that's visible in the engine bay or passenger compartment that is a give away for Magneride?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rocketeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A PP
Magneride GTs (ecoboosts too?) sit 1/2in lower than regular shock versions do over rear wheels.

20211112_135018.jpg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
is there anything else that's visible in the engine bay or passenger compartment that is a give away for Magneride?
No. Easiest way to verify this without taking the wheels off is to look at the rear strut - wiring is on top of the strut but you likely will have to jack up the rear side of the car.
Other way - take off plastic panel in the trunk (no tool needed), lift the carpet up on the right side (looking towards front of the car) and check if car has VDM (Vehicle Dynamics Module - suspension controller).

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
Test drive both without and with magneride, find a nasty road. You will definitely know ,One rides like shit compared to the one that has it .

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You can't rely on a PP1 GT being a true PP1 GT either by just assuming so because it has PP1 rims... That's a sure way to being duped into something it possibly isn't. Anyone can buy PP1 or PP2 rims and slap them on any S550. Be careful when you're looking for your S550.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Test drive both without and with magneride, find a nasty road. You will definitely know ,One rides like shit compared to the one that has it .
OP is asking how to identify one from pictures. If you're driving the car you can just look in the menus.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No, there's no way to identify a Magneride just from pictures. There's no giveaway either in the engine compartment or in the cabin. The only way to find out without having access to the car itself is by VIN or window sticker.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
A VIN number or window sticker is your best bet. But even then, you can't trust the info in some ads. See the car in person to physically inspect to be absolutely sure.

Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you are looking for used Mustangs online there is virtually no way to tell w/o a window sticker or running the VIN. In fact, I bought my 2018 used from a Chevy dealership. It wasn't advertised with Magnaride nor was it properly priced (compared to other Mustangs I found that were advertised with Magnaride). I wasn't really wanting Magnaride but on the test drive and subsequent drive home I noticed it rode considerably better than my previous 2015 PP1. So when I got home I jacked up the rear and found the sensors on top of the rear shocks which is the tell-tale sign of Magnaride. So I got a $1700 option for free!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So when I got home I jacked up the rear and found the sensors on top of the rear shocks which is the tell-tale sign of Magnaride. So I got a $1700 option for free!
There are no sensors on top of rear shocks - just wiring. Ride height sensors in the rear are on lower control arms.
Sponsored