sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
@TorqueMan
While that's how ANC should work, how it really works with the mustang doesn't seem to be the same. The system is listening for very specific frequencies given off by the stock exhaust system. Aftermarket exhausts do not produce those same frequencies, at the same length or in the same RPM range, so it does not cancel the sound wave as it should. Regarding sub woofers, the microphone is not at all hearing the sub woofer and getting confused. How do I know this, because you can can turn the volume to absolute zero on the headset and it will still send the noise cancelling wave which you'll hear coming through the sub woffer. This signals the car might perhaps be sending 'some' pre-sampled waves as it tends to happen on specific RPM's in conjunction with also listening.
Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Ok, I've just tested all the settings in my car. I can confirm (for my car) that with the digit set to either "0" or "8" the fake engine noises AND active noise control are disabled. With the digit set to "A" both are enabled. It's pretty easy to tell if the fake engine noises are on/off, but the ANC is a bit more difficult. The way I tested was to compare perceived noise while driving on a roughly paved county road. With either 0 or 8 set, cabin noise is loud, and I can hear every bump in the road. With A set the cabin was considerably quieter, with the bumps almost dead quiet. YMMV.

I already confirmed the tweeters function no matter how the digit is set, so like Radiation Joe I suspect the F-150 data isn't an exact match for the Mustang.

If someone knows of a way to disable ESE without affecting ANC I believe that would be the perfect solution to exhaust drone. As it stands, I think you can reduce drone by disabling ESE, but you will also disable ANC which will considerably increase road noise. I would probably accept that solution because I couldn't imagine listening to exhaust drone for a 35-minute commute.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
@TorqueMan
While that's how ANC should work, how it really works with the mustang doesn't seem to be the same. The system is listening for very specific frequencies given off by the stock exhaust system. Aftermarket exhausts do not produce those same frequencies, at the same length or in the same RPM range, so it does not cancel the sound wave as it should.
The ANC will cancel out any sounds in the frequency range over which it operates. If the exhaust system is producing sound outside of the ANC's frequency range then it will not cancel it out. That doesn't mean that turning off ANC will reduce exhaust noise. It will, in fact, increase perceived noise in the frequency range it was previously cancelling.

Regarding sub woofers, the microphone is not at all hearing the sub woofer and getting confused. How do I know this, because you can can turn the volume to absolute zero on the headset and it will still send the noise cancelling wave which you'll hear coming through the sub woffer. This signals the car might perhaps be sending 'some' pre-sampled waves as it tends to happen on specific RPM's in conjunction with also listening.
Please clarify:

What headset are you referring to?

If you are saying you still hear the noise cancellation function operating despite having the stereo turned off, well that's how the system is supposed to work. With the stereo on it mixes the noise cancellation signal with the music signal; with the stereo off it still transmits a noise cancellation signal.

Just to be clear on my end, I'm not talking about factory-installed subwoofers. The sound system in the car is controlled by a digital sound processor. It's programmed to ensure the ANC system ignores sounds generated by the factory subwoofer. Interference between a sub and the ANC is only an issue with aftermarket subs. This is a documented problem that is not unique to our Mustangs.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
The ANC will cancel out any sounds in the frequency range over which it operates. If the exhaust system is producing sound outside of the ANC's frequency range then it will not cancel it out. That doesn't mean that turning off ANC will reduce exhaust noise. It will, in fact, increase perceived noise in the frequency range it was previously cancelling.
We're talking about drone, which is a resonate wave. Disconnecting the microphone does (effectively disabling ANC) does indeed make the resonance less because the two waves are no longer fighting with each other (incorrectly).

Please clarify:

What headset are you referring to?

If you are saying you still hear the noise cancellation function operating despite having the stereo turned off, well that's how the system is supposed to work. With the stereo on it mixes the noise cancellation signal with the music signal; with the stereo off it still transmits a noise cancellation signal.

Just to be clear on my end, I'm not talking about factory-installed subwoofers. The sound system in the car is controlled by a digital sound processor. It's programmed to ensure the ANC system ignores sounds generated by the factory subwoofer. Interference between a sub and the ANC is only an issue with aftermarket subs. This is a documented problem that is not unique to our Mustangs.
This jibes with stories from people who install aftermarket woofers in their Mustangs and have trouble with the ANC. Using the mic in the cabin, the ANC "hears" the sound produced by the aftermarket woofer as "noise" and attempts to cancel it out using the car's speakers. This pits the car speakers against the aftermarket subwoofer, which results in all sorts of strange behavior. The solution many use to "fix" this problem is to disconnect the cabin microphone, which has the effect of disabling the ANC. Since the ANC no longer "hears" anything from the disconnected mic it no longer produces any counter noise. This solves the problem of the two speaker systems fighting each other out, but also means you'll perceive more noise (engine, exhaust, road, wind, etc.) in the cabin.
Check your own comment.
Just to clarify, I meant radio off or on with volume at zero (both will produce the same behavior). Like I said, its not listening to the aftermarket sub woofer as you previously tried to assert.

I have both an aftermarket exhaust and aftermarket sub woofer. I have experienced the difference between unplugging the rear mic for both; I'm not pulling this our of my rear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
So to sum it up once again: If you have an A make it an 8, if you have a 2 make it a 0. I don't know whether the exhaust drone is gone because of the deactivation of the ANC or the ESE, but it works. If setting the digit to any value that equals "ANC absent" disables both the ANC AND the ESE, then I would also be interested to find out what would happen if we could change these systems independently of each other.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
We're talking about drone, which is a resonate wave. Disconnecting the microphone does (effectively disabling ANC) does indeed make the resonance less because the two waves are no longer fighting with each other (incorrectly).
Noise is noise; the ANC doesn't care if it's a droning noise or a tire impacting a pothole, if it's in the frequency range where the ANC operates the system will broadcast a cancellation signal. If you're drone frequency is outside of the ANC's frequency range it can't do anything about it.

I don't know enough about how the system is programmed to know for sure precisely how the ESE and ANC interact with each other, but it seems likely the processor may be programmed to ignore sounds generated by the ESE. That would make sense since you wouldn't want your ANC to cancel out noises you want the occupants to hear (more below).

I have both an aftermarket exhaust and aftermarket sub woofer. I have experienced the difference between unplugging the rear mic for both; I'm not pulling this our of my rear.
C'mon, who said you were pulling anything out of your rear? If you read the article that I linked to it discussed the issue of aftermarket subs interfering with the ANC is cars that employ both ANC and generated (fake) engine noises.

Physically disconnecting the microphones in a vehicle has become a popular way of dealing with this issue, not necessarily because it’s the easiest but it’s the one that works almost every time. The tricky part is making sure all the microphones are disconnected, the most popular locations include the headliner (front and rear of vehicle) and inside of the door panels (driver and passenger front doors).This works great for many of today's ANC systems, but vehicles that accentuate engine noises also use a signal generated by the motor to feed the processor in the noise cancellation system and this method would not address that issue.

For systems that cause interference even though the microphone is disconnected they recommend the following:

Disconnecting the signal wires at the factory radio, amplifier, or ANC module is a guaranteed way to stop the system from interfering with your upgraded audio system. Using different available programs, professionals can look up the wiring schematics of a vehicle to find where the microphone or engine RPM signal wires are going connected in relation to the ANC system. By interrupting these wires, we eliminate the possibility of the system damaging our audio signal.

So they are suggesting that you disable whatever system installed that generates fake engine noises in conjunction with disabling the ANC. It appears we have a convenient method to do both by modifying the as-built data in the ACM module. When you disconnected the microphone in your car did you also modify the ACM module setting in the computer to turn off the fake engine sounds?

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
I too am still searching for a way to disable ESE but retain ANC.

My experience differs from @TorqueMan, so I will explain here.

Pulling the microphones may disable ANC, but it does not disable ESE in my car. So I tried to disable ESE via FORSCAN:

The stock code in ACM 727-01-01 (for a 2016MY UK Ecoboost with custom pack) was:
9C50 BA00 441A (A=FT present & CS: North American & ANC present & USB absent)

Upon changing this to an '8', the ESE noise was not removed in my vehicle:
9C50 B800 441A (8=FT present & CS: North American & ANC absent & USB absent)
perhaps ANC was removed but I don't have a conclusive way to test this (and I was anyway looking to retain ANC)

For reference, changing to the following also did NOT disable ESE:
9C50 B000 441A (0=FT absent & CS: North American & ANC absent & USB absent)

The only bit I could change to remove ESE (and ANC) was:
9C00 BA00 44CA (which effectively tricks the car into thinking it is non-shaker spec, ie sending speaker level outputs to the amp (disabling the amp, ANC and ESE). This degrades audio quality and is sub-optimal, so although I lived with this for a while, I eventually took the approach to de-pin the ANC and ESE wires to the amp connector. This is the only way I've found to disable ESE whilst maintaining normal stereo quality.

Any change to the ACM 727-01-01 coding will result in the speakers 'popping'.

@TorqueMan, how are you so sure you have disabled ESE with bit set to 0? When I tried this I still had ESE

Last edited:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Any change to the ACM 727-01-01 coding will result in the speakers 'popping'.
I agree with this. No matter what digit I use the speakers thump when I write the change.

@TorqueMan, how are you so sure you have disabled ESE with bit set to 0? When I tried this I still had ESE
I live in a fairly rural area, so I have some rarely used county roads nearby. I connected my laptop to my OBDII scanner, booted up Forscan and had it sitting the passenger seat. In this way I was able to change the setting and immediatly drive the car for comparison. When you can do on/off comparisons seconds apart it's pretty easy to hear the difference. Without ESE you cannot hear any exhaust sound in the cabin (if you still have the stock exhaust system).

I would assume there are differences in as-built data between North American and European versions of the car.

Last edited:

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
I eventually took the approach to de-pin the ANC and ESE wires to the amp connector. This is the only way I've found to disable ESE whilst maintaining normal stereo quality.
Please explain this further.

What ive done on my is disconnect the rear mic, run my rear channel as a input to the amp sub and front speakers, and run the front channel to the amp rear channel.
If i didnt reverse it i was still getting engine noise or garbage out the sub despite the rear mic being disconnected. The downside if my bluetooth phone plays through the rear speakers...but ive had to live with that.

Id pretty much given up since i didnt want to mess with the ECU, ive had enough problems with this car already the last thing i wanted was a bricked ECU.

Sponsored

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
Sorry, the link in my previous post was broken - I've updated it and it should send you to the thread which explains explains how to disable ANC and ESE by de-pinning (or cutting; not advised) the wires between the amps (in the footwell, assuming you have the SHAKER optional system) :)
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ctive-noise-control.78455/page-6#post-1995171

Please explain this further.

What ive done on my is disconnect the rear mic, run my rear channel as a input to the amp sub and front speakers, and run the front channel to the amp rear channel.
If i didnt reverse it i was still getting engine noise or garbage out the sub despite the rear mic being disconnected. The downside if my bluetooth phone plays through the rear speakers...but ive had to live with that.

Id pretty much given up since i didnt want to mess with the ECU, ive had enough problems with this car already the last thing i wanted was a bricked ECU.

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
I have a Mishimoto catback exhaust that adds a nice rumble to my overall driving. I wouldnt say I have a drone but im curious to see what different I hear if I subtract 2 from the value in forscan. I will make the change and report back

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
I have a Mishimoto catback exhaust that adds a nice rumble to my overall driving. I wouldnt say I have a drone but im curious to see what different I hear if I subtract 2 from the value in forscan. I will make the change and report back
As you will see earlier in this thread, this is exactly what I have done and my MBRP Race exhausts sound fantastic :wink: