How To Detect If A Tune Has Been Done?

Mongoose930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
427 Cobra
I am looking to purchase a GT350 and I will want to purchase a Ford extended warranty for peace of mind, especially if I purchase a car with a Gen 1 engine. I have already looked at a few cars, but they ended up having tunes which, based on my research, would preclude me from buying an extended warranty.

I called a Ford dealership about a car today and was told by the salesperson that no after-market parts had been put on the car when clearly the picture of the engine bay showed that not to be the case. I didn't even bother asking about a tune...

So my question is, is there a handheld tester that can quickly and easily tell if there has been a tune? I would hate to purchase a car and have the warranty be denied because of an existing tune that I was not aware of.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what your definition of handheld is. I was diagnosing something the other night, and there is a flashcount I believe in the PCM. You'd have to have some sort of OBD-to-USB dongle, and a laptop running something like Forscan, and the ability to turn the car at least onto accessory mode, and as it's pretty picky, I'm pretty sure the key needs to be in the cabin or you'll get a key not present error. I'm pretty sure that sitting in the driver seat with a laptop and cable would arise quite a lot of suspicion, especially if you ask them if they can bring you the key too.
However, depending on your ability to gab, perhaps you can talk them into somewhat of an extended test drive (which I doubt they'd do on a limited edition/numbers car) and have a buddy (or your car and backpack/laptop) a block away to help.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, it can be determined. Probably not by you, but any competent tech at a dealership could as well as any tuner. The previous post hit the nail on the head.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford IDS will immediately know if the dealer bothers to spend the 30 seconds to plug it in. Now, if it were tuned and flashed back, that requires looking at the flash counter.

OP
OP
Mongoose930

Mongoose930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
427 Cobra
I appreciate everyone's feedback. None of my "fun" cars over the years were modern enough where a tune was even possible. Also, I am not trying to sneak a tuned car past the warranty inspection, I just don't want to end up purchasing a car that would not qualify for a warranty because it has been tuned. I am going to have to be very careful...

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
While you are going down this path:
-ask the dealer to run a repair history to see if car already had repairs done, such as new engine.
-Ca. Plus 13 other states follow Ca smog laws. In Ca. An aftermarket tune, unless CARB approved will flunk emissions testing. So you doing your due diligence upfront is important, especially if you want the warranty.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think the CAI screams of a tune.

If it is being sold by a dealership, have them certify that the car has not been tuned and have them throw in a long term, high mileage bumper to bumper warranty.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I think the CAI screams of a tune.

If it is being sold by a dealership, have them certify that the car has not been tuned and have them throw in a long term, high mileage bumper to bumper warranty.
and if applicable have them Certify and Guarantee it will pass all State Inspection and Emissions laws too.

---
The report the other M6G Member was referring to as far as seeing any prior Warranty or Repair work is the Ford OASIS report. This report can be generated by any Ford Dealership that is selling a Ford product. That report contains everything about the car such as "As Built" components, Warranty or Non-Warranty work performed at ANY Ford Dealership, Warranty start date, any recalls; any Ford RAV Buy Back, etc. it contains quite a bit of info.

If the car is not being sold by a Ford Dealershio you can still call or go to your local Ford Dealer and ask if they will run an OASIS on the VIN. Some will, some won't. Some may charge for it and some don't.

There's also M6G Members on here who have access to running a Ford OASIS report, you just have to put out a post asking if anyone can help.

---
As far as the key counts:
"Key counts" are how many times the ignition button has been cycled. Every time the PCM is flashed due to an aftermarket tune, a Ford Performance Tune, or even a Dealership reflash due to X-software updates, the Key Count is reset to "0". It's quite obvious when the vehicle has accrued miles on the odometer and the Key Counts are abnormally low - or were recently reset. This can be viewed in Ford's IDS module and as far as I know to date, key counts can't be "tricked".

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Per Ford, key cycles are not an accurate method of determining aftermarket calibration status. As mentioned, IDS to verify if it currently has a tune but there is no reliable method at the dealer level or below to determine previous aftermarket calibrations

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate everyone's feedback. None of my "fun" cars over the years were modern enough where a tune was even possible. Also, I am not trying to sneak a tuned car past the warranty inspection, I just don't want to end up purchasing a car that would not qualify for a warranty because it has been tuned. I am going to have to be very careful...
It has been tuned if it has the JLT intake on it.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
That’s a huge aftermarket CAI, which would probably require a tune. JLT does. Go look again and see what brand it is.
Sponsored