Sponsored

How safe is it to run nitrous on a stock 2 gen coyote?

arellanosbb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt ,2000 mustang gt
I have a 2017 mustang gt everything is stock but I want to know if I need to do anything to the engine before running nitrous?
Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Do a little dance :)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm pretty sure a 100 HP wet shot is safe. Dry I'd want LU47 injectors 150 HP I'd want to widen the ring gap.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The problem with a wet shot is that neither the nitrous system nor the pcm have complete control over fueling. There are at least 20 different reasons the pcm could decide to cut fuel. This is safe because no fuel means no problem. But if the wet shot continues supplying fuel then you wind up with an extreme lean condition.

Traction control, over-rev, speed limiter, shift torque reduction, etc are just a few examples of reasons it might cut fuel.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with a wet shot is that neither the nitrous system nor the pcm have complete control over fueling. There are at least 20 different reasons the pcm could decide to cut fuel. This is safe because no fuel means no problem. But if the wet shot continues supplying fuel then you wind up with an extreme lean condition.

Traction control, over-rev, speed limiter, shift torque reduction, etc are just a few examples of reasons it might cut fuel.
That's what nitrous controllers are for. I wouldn't worry about a 100 wet shot & no tune. 200+wet shot w/ tune I'd better hope all the stars are lining up & the octane Gods are smiling upon me.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
Check out the Nitrous Coyotes facebook group. General consensus there is 100 Wet shot is fine on stock motor/fuel system. At 150+, its recommended to look at a secondary fuel system to supply the nitrous kit. Theory being it starts to pull too much fuel from the rails to supply the fuel solenoid possibly leading to a lean condition.

Edit - with proper tuning.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
That's what nitrous controllers are for.
Maybe I’m not following but let’s say you’re at 5000 rpm and everything is fat and happy. Then the pcm decides to cut off fuel to 3 cylinders for any of 20 possible reasons to do so. Now you’re still getting fuel from the wet shot into those 3 cylinders but about 1/5 of the fuel you need. How does a nitrous controller help you in that situation?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Edit - with proper tuning.
That’s the thing about the torque reduction strategy…if it can’t get the desired torque reduction with timing retard, it will start cutting fuel to cylinders. There’s no practical option to turn off fuel cut and as long as it’s a possibility then bad things can happen.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I’m not following but let’s say you’re at 5000 rpm and everything is fat and happy. Then the pcm decides to cut off fuel to 3 cylinders for any of 20 possible reasons to do so. Now you’re still getting fuel from the wet shot into those 3 cylinders but about 1/5 of the fuel you need. How does a nitrous controller help you in that situation?
When the throttle is cut, it'll turn off. Low fuel pressure same deal. You are talking stock tune.. so unless your racinging on the street with radial TA's and all the nannies on.. You shouldn't have a problem. Also how will it cut fuel to just 3 cylinders on a coyote ? AFAIK they're either all on, or all off.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
That’s the problem…fuel pressure and throttle are fine but the pcm decides to cut the fuel injector then the nitrous kit doesn’t know it.

For instance, the pcm might cut torque during a wot upshift. First option is to retard timing. If it can’t get the desired torque reduction with timing retard, it will move on to enleanment. However, most fords in the last 5 years have enleanment torque reduction disabled. So the next step is cutting fuel injectors. It will absolutely cut torque using individual cylinder fuel cut, in 12.5% increments obviously. I have logs showing this exact behavior. Of course you can try to avoid it by commanding full torque during the shifts in the tune, but there are 19 other reasons for it to cut torque.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
Can nitrous be safely run on a stock gen 2? Yes. It will require quite several supporting add ons if you want to run it with confidence, which can start adding up. That being said, you mentioned your car being stock; I assume this is just a street car/weekend warrior? There are less complex and more desirable options I'd consider first if that's the case. What's the overall goal in mind?
Sponsored