Sponsored

How Much Weight in the Trunk for Snow Driving?

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
How much weight should I put in the trunk for driving in snow and slush? This is my first year with a RWD. Also, what do you guys use for the weight? Sand bags, kitty litter, etc. that won't take up a ton of space? If it matters, I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS all season tires on my EcoBoost Mustang.
Do you have a spare? If not you have a perfect place to throw in some 60 pound sand tubes.... you could probably fit in up to 300 pounds. But I'm not going to actually provide a recommendation.
Sponsored

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Well, I usually keep probably 100 pounds of emergency-repair stuff in the trunk all the time... Floor jack alone is probably 50 pounds, plus compressor, chocks, wrenches, clamps, rags, zip ties, duct tape, jump starter, jumper cables, few quarts of motor oil, gallon of anti-freeze, gallon of washer fluid, gallon of water funnels, etc.
Boy Scout?

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
No, the thread is about how much weight, if any, to add to the trunk GIVEN my current set of tires. I am not asking about the best tires for snow driving.

Also, I'm assuming you have no basis for saying the ExtremeContact DWS tires are good at nothing other than just generally hating on all seasons. Nearly 4,000 tirerack reviewers ranked this the #1 tire in its category and gave it excellent or superior marks in every category, including snow and ice traction.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS
Hi, Mustang Convert. I always run all seasons on my FWD cars because where I live in Pennsylvania FWD cars don't really need dedicated snows. And I put Conti ExtremeContact DWS tires on my 2007 Scion tC based on Tire Rack reviews and a Mustang A/S tire test in which they came out on top. They were not a good match for the tC.

I'm not sure where you live, but when I had my RX7 with a posi rear I kept 150 lbs of freeweights over the back axle, didn't do stupid things, and never had a problem in the snow. My daughter's 2000 Mustang convertible got three 60-pound bags of construction sand in her trunk, but still slid around - car had an open rear. Both had dedicated snow tires on the rear only.

That being said, in (very) light snow last month, my 2015 GT was fine with 19" factory all seasons and the traction control bumped up to the snow setting (all Mustangs have posi rears now), and other forum members here are saying the same thing.

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Well, I usually keep probably 100 pounds of emergency-repair stuff in the trunk all the time... Floor jack alone is probably 50 pounds, plus compressor, chocks, wrenches, clamps, rags, zip ties, duct tape, jump starter, jumper cables, few quarts of motor oil, gallon of anti-freeze, gallon of washer fluid, gallon of water funnels, etc.

Boy Scout?
No, he's just smart… or a parent. I have 3 kids who call when they get stuck at 1 AM, so I have most of what he has plus a blanket, extra sweatshirt and gloves. Did I mention the portable compressor/battery charger?
:D

Last edited:

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
You should have bought a 4X4. I'd never, ever, drive my Mustang in the snow!! Sorry, I wouldn't be able to even fathom it...all that salt trashing the undercarriage...makes me cringe just thinking about it.
I had a 2003 Mach 1 that I daily drove for 4 years in different weather conditions, including snow. The roads back then were only salted, but where I am located, we don't get that many significant snows. The undercarriage was quite alright. During the winter, I simply hosed off the salt.

I actually had more rusting problems in the engine bay when the car sat in my then not-so-great garage when it was no longer daily driven. I had to have parts of the engine bay re-freshened.

I sold that car after 8 years of ownership, and the undercarriage did not have rust on any part of the floor pan or major parts of the suspension. The differential was rusty, but they are designed to get a coating of surface rust.

I certainly understand the desire to keep your baby pristine, of course.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
With a full service shop in the trunk, where do you put your groceries? Just curious...Love to see a pic! Do you have it neatly organized like a trunk organizer or just thrown in and always hear stuff moving in the trunk?
Actually all fits in a duffell bag (along with a set of flares and reflector triangles, forgot about those) that I shove against the back of the rear seats, except the water and coolant and washer fluid jugs, which just roll around.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Boy Scout?
Nope, just have been stranded on enough roadsides with enough various types of breakdowns to know what I need to have on hand just in case.

FStephenMasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 '02 M-B c230K
How much weight should I put in the trunk for driving in snow and slush?
None. I drove in snow in St. Louis in a 1970 AMC AMX (automatic) and 1979 Pontiac Trans Am (manual). The key is to have two things: 1) A limited slip differential and 2) Dedicated snow tires on different wheels (with studs if allowed). You can put a Hippo. in the trunk and it won't help without the limited slip and snow tires. The AMXes have two seats, so are even lighter in back than the 2015 Mustang: http://amxdreamer.tripod.com/

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
None. I drove in snow in St. Louis in a 1970 AMC AMX (automatic) and 1979 Pontiac Trans Am (manual). The key is to have two things: 1) A limited slip differential and 2) Dedicated snow tires on different wheels (with studs if allowed). You can put a Hippo. in the trunk and it won't help without the limited slip and snow tires.
Note that helical diffs (like the Torsen) are not useful in zero-traction environments like ice or getting unstuck from a snowbank. Clutch-type LSD's are better there.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I don't have the new Mustang, so I can't comment on how much weight, but for my RWD cars, I do usually put a bag of oil-dry (kitty litter without perfumes, clumping agents, etc) in the trunk, or a sealable container of the basic kitty litter. I also put in a container of snow/ice melter (also in a sealed container).

I have (rarely) used these to get out of sticky situations where we had freezing rain or some above freezing temps followed by extreme cold and the surface of the lot is just a sheet of ice. Either will work, having both means extra insurance and the ability to get out of just about anything. Get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood (as long as you can fit in the trunk) and spray bedliner or paint it with textured paint for additional "get out of the snow bank" insurance along with a small shovel.

For those of use that live in cold weather areas, you should have a survival kit in your car unless the only place you drive are well populated and safe urban areas no matter what car you drive. Blankets/sleeping bag(s), tools, etc, plus a small supply of oil-dry/ice melter will do you for weight.

However, I would like to point out that unless you live in the "one snowfall a year or less" part of the world, you should really consider snow tires. I've seen WAY too many AWD/FWD/4WD vehicles in the ditch a couple miles after they passed me because they had too much confidence in their drive systems both here and in Illinois (where I lived for 30 years). Winter tires and good reasonable driving will keep you out of the ditch much better than almost anything else.

I used to be like you and had all season tires thinking it would be fine as long as I was prudent and had weight in my trunk (97 tbird at the time in rural northern illinois). When I hit the section of road with black ice (doing 25-30 MPH UNDER the 55 mph speed limit) and my car started to fishtail and ultimately spin, ending up on the shoulder 4 feet from a 20 foot dropoff, I changed my mind. Just something for you to think about.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Quote:

No, he's just smart… or a parent. I have 3 kids who call when they get stuck at 1 AM, so I have most of what he has plus a blanket, extra sweatshirt and gloves. Did I mention the portable compressor/battery charger?
:D
Welcome in the club! :D But I have my tools in the trunk. I have a tool box and everything else in the front corner if I am getting a call. But because of "juniors" big mouth last time - he has to call AMA next time and wait 4 hours until he gets help. I did pay the membership for him, gave him all "winter driving" and "what you need in the winter" flyers they support young drivers with and he never cared. Why I did that? Last time he stuck - I arrived and junior did "yell" at me why I needed 30 minutes to get to him at 2 AM Sunday morning. After that - he did take place in my car - without helping me to change his flat tire. I didn't say anything. My wife did see it when I came home without saying anything to her. She warned him right away. "Don't think that your Dad is coming next time again."

*Do I have to mention that I can't use my left hand after last years accident anymore.

So I am done with emergency rescues in the night. It is time that he gets the feeling of being lost on the road IMO before he starts checking his cars before driving. :paddle:

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Do you have a spare? If not you have a perfect place to throw in some 60 pound sand tubes.... you could probably fit in up to 300 pounds. But I'm not going to actually provide a recommendation.
That's a good idea, I actually have room since the 20" wheels do not come with a spare.

Are you worried I'll sue you if you provide a recommendation?

You should have bought a 4X4. I'd never, ever, drive my Mustang in the snow!! Sorry, I wouldn't be able to even fathom it...all that salt trashing the undercarriage...makes me cringe just thinking about it.
I did not buy the Mustang due to its snow handling capability. Although I live in Wisconsin, I'm in an urban area that is very diligent about plowing and salting and I rarely have to drive on unplowed snow. My commute is 6 miles and is pretty flat and is on streets with speed limits of 30 mph or less. Most errands I need to run are less than one mile from home. In the event I have to venture farther from home on a night or weekend, I can always use my wife's AWD SUV.

I don't think you'll need them, but if you find yourself slipping pull into a gas station, buy two bags of salt and put them over the rear tires. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how good the 2015 is in the snow. As for leaving it in the garage for 6 months out of the year, screw that. I bought it to drive it. It's a Mustang, not a trailer queen Vette.
I had my first driving experience in some residual slush today and was surprised at how well at handled, particularly in the parking garage at work where cars have to stop on an incline to get past the gate. The FWD Accord sedan in front of me was struggling to get up that incline (wheels spinning like crazy) and mine got up no problem with steady throttle input and snow mode on. That ramp is probably the toughest part of my commute as it can be really slick in the winter and is pretty steep. It wouldn't be a problem if you had some momentum going up it but you have to start from a complete stop at the gate.

FStephenMasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 '02 M-B c230K
For those of use that live in cold weather areas, you should have a survival kit in your car .... . I've seen WAY too many AWD/FWD/4WD vehicles in the ditch a couple miles after they passed me because they had too much confidence in their drive systems.... Winter tires and good reasonable driving will keep you out of the ditch much better than almost anything else.....I used to be like you and had all season tires thinking it would be fine as long as I was prudent and had weight in my trunk....When I hit the section of road with black ice (doing 25-30 MPH UNDER the 55 mph speed limit) and my car started to fishtail and ultimately spin, ending up on the shoulder 4 feet from a 20 foot dropoff, I changed my mind.
Excellent post! Anyone who can't afford snow tires and wheels has no business buying a new Mustang or new anything else. Those of us in places such as California and St. Louis with a high earthquake risk also need survival kits in our cars.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
first of all.. i am finding many of posts funny and also depicting lack of probably driving exp or people not using something "COMMON SENSE " while driving. I have driven all.. RWD/AWD/FWD in snow...Major major factor in all cars in using ur head...sonata elantra camry etc are FWD still end up in ditch.... Jeep AWD ends up in ditch why.. Bec its not the car but the drivers who are stubborn to thin oh i have FWD/AWD nothin can happen... bull crap....only 1 thing matters wen u drive.. u , ur head and ur car... how well u understand ur car

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
I didn't ask about which tires to put on it, but thanks.

I don't get this forum's hate of all season tires, but that's not the conversation I'm trying to have here. This comes up every time I make reference to the tires on my car.
With all do respect, once you get real tires for winter you won't believe the difference. All season tires are like wearing loafers all year; yea they kinda work, however boots work real well in winter.

If you shop carefully you can get modest priced wheels and tires for winter. No need for weight in the rear, no compromises and your summer rubber lasts that much longer.
Sponsored