How likely to be stolen

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I have a gps tracker in my car that runs on its own battery and a club to slow them down 30 seconds more :) The gps senses even a door being opened and closed and sends me a message before the car has even been moved. I keep the keys in a faraday pouch.

I know someone mentioned the thieves will take the car to a cooling off spot but I figure that’s fine I’ll just go to the address and get the sob back if they do that.

But I know there are no guarantees about retrieving it it’s just trying to improve the odds as best I can.
Sponsored

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Just like stolen GT350s and GT500s, if the thieves want a Mach 1 they'll go as far as possible to get it. I mean brand new GT500s were being stolen directly from Ford. That's crazy.

We just gotta make as tedious as possible for a thief to go after another target, kinda like if a bears chases two people, just be the fastest. Disabling the Intelligent Access does help, and thankfully, Ford randomizes the RF signal for the FOB (unlike Dodge). I have a GPS tracker installed, and I always use a steering wheel lock. However, I also don't daily drive my M1, and it's always inside a garage when parked.

I'm more concerned about a carjacking, than a stationary car theft. But for that I have a CCW permit, and I won't hesisate to use deadly force when necessary (I used to be in law enforcement).

Sadly, CA politicians have been bribed and blackmailed to sell out our beautiful state. And they're letting crime run rampant to introduce legislation to further removed our rights and freedoms. 🇺🇲
which steering wheel lock do you have? I have an old janky one but noticed it left marks on my leather steering wheel after leaving it on overnight

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
For my daily driver (not the Shelby) if someone wants to jack me, I'll hand em the keys. I always keep my sidearm with me in the car and readily available, and there was a time when I even had a 454 casull in the side pocket of my truck (to shoot through the door if necessary, until I realized, I pay for good insurance. I have no attachment to the vehicle, if they want it, I'll get another one better. I'll simply tell them to make sure they either drive it into a river or it burns up, but it better never come back.

The Shelby is different. Aside from the value, I have a personal attachment to the car in how much time/effort I've put into it (that can't be captured by insurance). Luckily armed carjacking isn't really a widespread problem in Florida (probably because we have high firearm ownership rates).

As far as protecting it from being stolen, I keep it in a garage. As long as I can be up and "at em" before they get it out of the garage, then that's addressed. But parking it out in public (for a trip to the movies or dinner or whatever) is still a risk. But most cars are stolen in late hours.

I had a Jeep with a manual (big plastic key) battery disconnect. I considered doing that, but then I realized, even that won't work if they tow it or if they're trying to strip it for parts, they won't really care if the vehicle functions or not (so passwords hobbling the car won't always be a deterrent).

I wish someone would sell a trunk monkey that could live in the car.

At the end of the day, outside of just being vigilant and not parking it over night exposed, there isn't a whole lot of foolproof options. "That's what insurance is for" is the mentality of law enforcement when it comes to auto theft. Unless they stumble upon it at a crime scene or they run plates that come up stolen, they just don't GAF. At least not enough to apply resources to effectively pursue it. It's curious to me that the insurance industry doesn't fight it as hard either. Like the catalytic converter rings, it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to walk these theft rings back to facilities and shut them all down, especially in urban areas where it's IMPOSSIBLE to move more than half a block without being caught on a recording device. Just takes someone with the TIME and the ACCESS to piece it all together.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
which steering wheel lock do you have? I have an old janky one but noticed it left marks on my leather steering wheel after leaving it on overnight
Tbh I can't remember the brand, I got it from Amazon. Any one of them will work fine, even the ones that attach to the seat belt harness or pedals, as long as they are visible. It's all about discouraging and adding multiple layers of security/annoyance. I don't even take the M1 to the dealership for oil changes, or anything (knock on wood). It's no Hellcat or GT500, but I know dealership employees contribute to Mopar thefts.

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Add an ignition kill switch and you’re golden. You can do it in cabin or under the hood.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I park my car outside everyday... Must be poor :p

Sponsored

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
If you get a manual the odds of it getting stolen are slim. Usually the idiots stealing cars can’t drive a manual lol
I have an apartment downtown Detroit (just for the water views ) I park it there in a structure sometimes. They steal Mopar because they’re trash 🚮 and very easy to steal . They steal so many chargers hellcats that they’re always on sale on the streets for 5k. A high percentage of them that are being driven around are re-tagged. Huge market here for that lol

OP
OP

DavesNotBored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
If you get a manual the odds of it getting stolen are slim. Usually the idiots stealing cars can’t drive a manual lol
I have an apartment downtown Detroit (just for the water views ) I park it there in a structure sometimes. They steal Mopar because they’re trash 🚮 and very easy to steal . They steal so many chargers hellcats that they’re always on sale on the streets for 5k. A high percentage of them that are being driven around are re-tagged. Huge market here for that lol
That's actually pretty funny! And if I get one, it will definitely be a manual.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
So, I live in Southern California, in a high end zip code. I do not own my own home, yet, and am renting an apartment. I am considering purchasing a new Mach 1, but it will have to be parked outside for the most part. Is this thing going to be a sitting duck for car thieves, or would it be reasonably safe?
No sure where exactly you are located but when I lived in Southern California street parking was not an issue. I was out in Palm Springs so a fancy mustang would not have attracted anyone out there. Thieves would probably be more interested in the classic mustang or Lamborghini parked next to you on the street.

Just make sure to lock your doors and hide any bags in the trunk. Don't be a dumb dumb.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
buy it…life is short. by the time you get outta dodge your only option will be a scooter or electric car. we all know biden “wins” again in 24….already been decided. if it get stolen buy another one.