First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
1) How many miles before first oil change? 1000
2) How many miles before HPDE? 1200 Barber MSP
3) How many miles before dyno? never
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? uh!!!! once engine oil hit 189F
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? yes! Below 7k rpm in normal temp range. 8250 only at 189F
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? NO
7) Stock or modified? Stock
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? 4503.3
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Check once a month, after track. Added after track

1500 miles on new motor and all is well...knock on wood!
What was the failure that caused engine replacement?
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Just like the owners manual said to do!!

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
1) How many miles before first oil change? ~250 Still have the original filter but haven't opened it yet to see what's in there.
2) How many miles before racing? Haven't raced, but had ~1,000 before my first track day.
3) How many miles before dyno? Never been on a dyno.
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? Not sure I've ever hit 8,250 -- sorry!
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? Not sure what revs we're talking about here, but I keep the motor at 4K until temps are up to operating range.
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? As said by others, "Hell no!"
7) Stock or modified? Other than the recommended catch cans, stock.
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? Original
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft 5/50 and OE filter.
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? All the time, but I've had a failed sending unit that caused a significant leak, so I cannot accurately measure whether I had oil loss because of consumption or some other internal reason.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
1) How many miles before first oil change? 1000
2) How many miles before racing? NA-600 miles before a spirited canyon run
3) How many miles before dyno? NA
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 250ish
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ REv to redline? No Rev to 4-5k? Yes
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? No. Second tank was 98
7) Stock or modified? Ford performance dual oil catch cans
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? Original
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? 3k miles since first oil change, oil has dropped to the second dot.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
What was the failure that caused engine replacement?
Initial symptom was severe knocking and hard start with Engine code for bank 1 failed exhuast cam phaser. Phaser was replaced and engine still exhibited strong knock. Filter pulled and metal found. Engine replaced. I think the phaser failed from FOD due to either a failed rod or main bearing which is what I believe was causing the knock.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Initial symptom was severe knocking and hard start with Engine code for bank 1 failed exhuast cam phaser. Phaser was replaced and engine still exhibited strong knock. Filter pulled and metal found. Engine replaced. I think the phaser failed from FOD due to either a failed rod or main bearing which is what I believe was causing the knock.
No way, everyone knows it was really the OPG:ninja:

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
1) How many miles before first oil change? 1000 or so
2) How many miles before racing? 4500
3) How many miles before dyno? No dyno yet
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 10 or 11
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ A little
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? 91 only
7) Stock or modified? Ford performance dual oil catch cams. BMR jacking rails. Caliperfexion caliper studs pending. Baldstig tow hook pending.
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Amsoil Motorcraft 5w50 Motorcraft filter
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? No oil added, right on the dot

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I think cause of engine failure should be on our little "questionnaire"

Interesting cause of failure. It would seem like you'd need a decent sized piece of FOD to fail the phaser but I've never seen a phaser up close to know. I'm glad they got you up and running again, that's good to know.:cheers:

BTW, thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1) How many miles before first oil change? 950
2) How many miles before racing? HPDE event at 1200
3) How many miles before dyno? Never have
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 1200
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? Not before 190
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? No
7) Stock or modified? UPR oil catch cans pass. and driver
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft 5w50 motorcraft filter
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? No oil added, right on the dot all the time, no usage.

Current mileage 4300 and car has had two oil changes.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
FWIW, I think cause of engine failure should be on our little "questionnaire"

Interesting cause of failure. It would seem like you'd need a decent sized piece of FOD to fail the phaser but I've never seen a phaser up close to know. I'm glad they got you up and running again, that's good to know.:cheers:

BTW, thanks for sharing.
No worries! I think adding a symptom to the questionnaire is a great suggestion. It would not take much to internally lock up a phaser actually.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
1) How many miles before first oil change? 330

2) How many miles before racing?
Not yet

3) How many miles before dyno?
Not yet
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250?
Not yet
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps?
Not high revs, only 3 to 4k after 4 or 5 minutes warm up.
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? 91 premium, was thinking of 93 ethanol, it's all that's available.
7) Stock or modified? Bobs catch cans
8) not replaced - yet
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? motorcraft filter and 5w50 motorcraft
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Check oil after every time I drive. When checking, I always make sure dot is facing down when I place the dipstick in and check. If I reverse it the level is way too high.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I've noticed that if the markings of the dipstick are on the right when inserting it, the level is consistent and right on the top of the mark. Flip it and the level is way high. Don't know if that matters much but over time of running way high on oil level can't be none too good,
What is the typical damage that occurs with over filling oil too high?
Sponsored