Sponsored

How did you break in your gt350

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
1) How many miles before first oil change? about 1200
2) How many miles before racing? I have never and will never race my car, but I had it at a local HPDE last summer at around 5,000 miles
3) How many miles before dyno? NA
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 1300
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ Yes all the time (assuming you are talking engine oil temp rather than cylinder head temp), because the engine oil doesn't reach 180+ in cool temperatures. I don't regularly wing it up close to the red line, though. I have red lined the car a few times when ambient temperatures were quite cold, but not often. Water will always be up to temp prior to revving or pushing it, though. I want the pistons to be fully warm.
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? heck no!
7) Stock or modified? Ford performance dual oil catch cans
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? Original
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? only use manufacturer's recommended replacement components
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? No oil added, right on the dot
Sponsored

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
2016 GT350R
1) How many miles before first oil change? 800 miles on the car - will do it at 1,000
2) How many miles before racing? Will not race this car... on the track haha
3) How many miles before dyno? Will not dyno this car
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 400ish
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? Yes, but only a rare occurrence for me
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? Hell no - mostly been a mix of 91,94,100
7) Stock or modified? Bone stock
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? Original
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? NA
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Every few times I drive

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
1) How many miles before first oil change? 1000
2) How many miles before racing? About 50
3) How many miles before dyno? Haven't yet
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? However many miles it took driving off the lot for the oil to reach 180, maybe 10.
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ No
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? 91. Its the best around me here in SoCal. Nearest E85 is 20 miles away
7) Stock or modified? Modified. Catless pipes from Lethal, JLT CAI and Lund tune
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft stuff from Ford
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Check it every time I drive it, use about 1 quart every 1000 miles.

Currently at 12,400 miles since I bought it in August and haven't had any issues luckily. I did not break my car in. I drove it straight off the lot and put 300 hard miles on it the first night.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Hey--- We have a lets be stupid on the internet thread. cool.

Nothing like posting this info on how you ignored the break-in instructions in your manual, admit to track use (especially with a Tech car), so that if you have an engine/tranny/rearend problem Ford has lots of data on you to mull over while deciding to accept or deny your warranty claim.

And yeah, bounding a car off the rev limiter (what-are some of you all of 16) is NOT a good idea. And exceeding red line to the point of fuel cut off is a continuation of that bad idea and lays the groundwork for Ford to claim driver abuse...

Your screen name does NOT provide you with the anonymity many of you think it does.

Last edited:

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase

Nothing like posting this info on how you ignored the break-in instructions in your manual, admit to track use (especially with a Tech car), so that if you have an engine/tranny/rearend problem Ford has lots of data on you to mull over while deciding to accept or deny your warranty claim.

And yeah, bounding a car off the rev limiter (what-are some of you all of 16) is NOT a good idea. And exceeding red line to the point of fuel cut off is a continuation of that bad idea and lays the groundwork for Ford to claim driver abuse...

Your screen name does NOT provide you with the anonymity many of you think it does.
Thank god you showed up otherwise it wouldn't be official :lol:

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Break In

With a reported 5 engine replacements on just this forum alone I'd like to know how you the owner have driven your car since taking ownership.
It seems that most owners that had their engines replaced had less than 5000 miles.

1) How many miles before first oil change? 200
2) How many miles before racing? Haven't reached 1000 yet
3) How many miles before dyno? 170
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 170
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ No
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? 93 first 170 miles 100 octane Sunoco 260GT since
7) Stock or modified? Ford performance dual oil catch cams. ARH & catless x pipe at 170 miles, Lund tune 180 miles
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Amsoil 5w50 motorcraft filter
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? No oil added, right on the dot

After my first oil change I opened up the oil filter and seen a lot of red/orange/blue sealant but no metal by the naked eye.
\

2) How many miles before racing? 0
3) How many miles before dyno? never
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? never
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ NO
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? NO
7) Stock or modified? Stock
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? NA
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil. Before every drive, none added 4000 miles on vehicle.

:ford::ford::ford::ford:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think the most important factor is operating temps. It's a high strung motor but when it's in its element, its in its element. I'm of the belief that you need to drive your car like you're going to drive your car. I'll be in a lot of high performance environments so you bet your ass I was beating on her like she denied me a blowie on my birthday.

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350

[ame]

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
2) How many miles before racing? No racing yet
3) How many miles before dyno? No dyno. Not a bench racer :)
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 150
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? No
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? No, Shell 93 only
7) Stock or modified? Resonator delete, dual catch cans
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? Original N/A
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft 5w-50
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Checked every few weeks, no additional oil needed

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum

What? Who broke the break in instructions? The owners manual clearly states that you should not get into high RPM's for the first 100 miles. While I try not to bounce off the limiter, doing so has no impact on your warranty. Why do you think there is a limiter? To stop idiots from over revving the engine.

HPDE events are NOT classified as race events and they are allowed under the Ford warranty. These cars have been marketed as Street/Track cars so using them at the track should pose no hazard to your warranty.

I 100% agree there is lots of stupid on the Internet.:crazy:

From your signature you don't even have a GT350 so what was to gain by your rant?

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

What?

First off, Ford Performance themselves were beating the snot out of their Track Tour cars. Right off the floor. Jamaal Hemeedi himself was beating on one for Matt Farah with only triple digit miles on it.

Second, the GT350's redline and fuel cutoff is the same RPM. And we don't have a rev limiter in these cars. That's why the fuel cutoff is where it's at. And even so, occasional rev limit bouncing isn't going to hurt anything. I have a friend with an S2000 with over 120,000 miles with 6 years of autocross rev limit bouncing on those 2nd gear runs. Engine runs like a champ.

Third, I don't care what my username tells anyone. Go ahead and google me. Creep.

sweetchuck2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, DIB, Tech package.
1) How many miles before first oil change? just under 1100
2) How many miles before racing? N/A
3) How many miles before dyno? N/A
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? probably 200 or so
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ Only a couple times, and no higher than 3-4k rpms.
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? 93 only
7) Stock or modified? UPR oil catch cans, trans oil temp gauge enabled, the rest is cosmetic.
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft 5w50
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Check the oil about every week during warmer months, maybe every 2 weeks in colder months as it isn't driven as much.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
What? Who broke the break in instructions? The owners manual clearly states that you should not get into high RPM's for the first 100 miles. While I try not to bounce off the limiter, doing so has no impact on your warranty. Why do you think there is a limiter? To stop idiots from over revving the engine.

HPDE events are NOT classified as race events and they are allowed under the Ford warranty. These cars have been marketed as Street/Track cars so using them at the track should pose no hazard to your warranty.

I 100% agree there is lots of stupid on the Internet.:crazy:

From your signature you don't even have a GT350 so what was to gain by your rant?
The owner manual doesn't state you can't go into high RPMs. It just says avoid extended WOT until the engine is broken in.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
2) How many miles before HPDE? 1200 Barber MSP
3) How many miles before dyno? never
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? uh!!!! once engine oil hit 189F
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? yes! Below 7k rpm in normal temp range. 8250 only at 189F
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? NO
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? 4503.3
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Check once a month, after track. Added after track

1500 miles on new motor and all is well...knock on wood!

Last edited:

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
1) How many miles before first oil change? 1150
2) How many miles before racing? 1400
3) How many miles before dyno? -
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 420
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ Rarely
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? No
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft 5w50 motorcraft filter
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Check every 2000 miles, No oil added

Currently at 11,400 miles and no issues
Sponsored