How did you break in your gt350

cmeany01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 Ford Edge, 2018 Honda Civic
Anyone from this vintage thread had a engine replaced?
Yes, my 2019 dropped a valve (per the Ford service department) at 1440 miles. Engine was replaced.

How many miles before first oil change? N/A

2) How many miles before racing? N/A

3) How many miles before dyno? N/A

4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? Around 400

5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ No

6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? No

7) Stock or modified? Stock

8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? 1440

9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? N/A

10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Every few days... no loss of oil at all before lockup
Sponsored

CRisolvato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
(1st car, long gone) '86 5.0 GT Jalapeno red. '20 HEP-R. The other cars don't really matter.
1) How many miles before first oil change? 1200 current...probably soon
2) How many miles before racing? Weather depending, 1300-1500 when I can get to a track
3) How many miles before dyno? Just found local shop which build race mustangs...will happen soon
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 25
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps (180+ F) No
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? No
7) Stock or modified? Stock (Oil separators don't count)
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? Original
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use?
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Checked at 950 miles; right on the dot
11) If engine failure, please note cause.

footnfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I am 61, I made a decision several years ago, that I wanted an R. Only problem, I had way too many cars. So I promised my loving wife, I'll reduce the herd, just give me time. I lost hope of finding my choice, but I kept going. I really wanted a pre 2018 car. I did not like the red panel on the seats, nor the solid rotors, nor the $$ price increase in the later cars. So, I sold several S351 R Saleens, a 1966 GT 350 real road race car, my beloved 2000 M5. All of the sudden, within a few days, poof, they were all gone! So I bought a wonderful 2011 V8 BMW M3 (30K miles in amazing condition) to drive every day ( crazy 8200 red line as well) and went on the hunt for an R, less than a million miles away. Days later, on a sat morning, it pops up on my search engine. 2017 R, 90 miles away, with 31 miles. 31! At a dealership owned by a famous NASCAR owner. Boom, call him, ask questions, get the VIN, get the car fax. Chat with the wife, call the dealer back, tell him here is my credit card, charge 5K, I'll be there within 5 days with a check. Boom, rent a car to drive there, get it, drive it home across alligator alley in several rain storms!

Now home, 325 miles, faux carbon fiber wheels installed with michelin 4S tires added for real world driving, life is good. I am kind to cars, I normally get 150-200K on a clutch, my M5 had 240K on the original clutch, and when I changed it, it was not nearly done. This R will have a nice life, and I will follow the full 1K break in period.

1) How many miles before first oil change? 200 or close to it
3) How many miles before dyno? Nothing less than 1,000, probably not
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? Not yet.
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? 93 only
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? Original
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Stock oil, first change at dealer
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Yep, twice thus far

Last edited:

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I am 61, I made a decision several years ago, that I wanted an R. Only problem, I had way too many cars. So I promised my loving wife, I'll reduce the herd, just give me time. I lost hope of finding my choice, but I kept going. I really wanted a pre 2018 car. I did not like the red panel on the seats, nor the solid rotors, nor the $$ price increase in the later cars. So, I sold several S351 R Saleens, a 1966 GT 350 real road race car, my beloved 2000 M5. All of the sudden, within a few days, poof, they were all gone! So I bought a wonderful 2011 V8 BMW M3 (30K miles in amazing condition) to drive every day ( crazy 8200 red line as well) and went on the hunt for an R, less than a million miles away. Days later, on a sat morning, it pops up on my search engine. 2017 R, 90 miles away, with 31 miles. 31! At a dealership owned by a famous NASCAR owner. Boom, call him, ask questions, get the VIN, get the car fax. Chat with the wife, call the dealer back, tell him here is my credit card, charge 5K, I'll be there within 5 days with a check. Boom, rent a car to drive there, get it, drive it home across alligator alley in several rain storms!

Now home, 325 miles, faux carbon fiber wheels installed with michelin 4S tires added for real world driving, life is good. I am kind to cars, I normally get 150-200K on a clutch, my M5 had 240K on the original clutch, and when I changed it, it was not nearly done. This R will have a nice life, and I will follow the full 1K break in period.

9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Stock oil, first change at dealer

I was a teenager in the mid to late 90s so I grew up on the SN95 Saleens. The first time I saw a 350R in person was on the freeway as I was driving behind it. The car had such a presence with the wing and the rear valance that it reminded me a lot of when I use to be behind an S351 back in the day. Having owned one yourself, I'm sure you'll get what I'm saying. Congrats on the purchase.

footnfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I was a teenager in the mid to late 90s so I grew up on the SN95 Saleens. The first time I saw a 350R in person was on the freeway as I was driving behind it. The car had such a presence with the wing and the rear valance that it reminded me a lot of when I use to be behind an S351 back in the day. Having owned one yourself, I'm sure you'll get what I'm saying. Congrats on the purchase.
Yep, totally get it. We had many S351's, including several 1 of 1's. Our last two were special. One with a built 351, one amazingly stock, after a 3 year effort to return it to its glory. It was a barn find, that had a ton of parts stolen from it. The built one, made 550 RWHP in an instant, and at 61, was beyond safety, I had owned it for over 20 years. Many great memories.

They are really amazing cars, mostly unloved. Torque monsters which is so able to be used. I miss the last two, but on we go.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

Nice find and congrats. Don't think I could part with that 66.

There is no red panel on the 2018 R seats. The rotors are drilled too. The changes along with the price increase you speak to happened in 2019. The real only meaningful change that happened for 2018 is new ring and piston packs were installed sometime in the 2nd half of production.

footnfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Nice find and congrats. Don't think I could part with that 66.

There is no red panel on the 2018 R seats. The rotors are drilled too. The changes along with the price increase you speak to happened in 2019. The real only meaningful change that happened for 2018 is new ring and piston packs were installed sometime in the 2nd half of production.
Thank you, I'm old and easily confused, about the red panel etc. On the 66, I had had it for 20+ years. The car deserved to be continued to be raced, and those days are not available for me now, so it found a good home. Nicest, strongest pulling engine I have ever experienced. I hope the 2017 will match it someday soon. I do LOVE the brakes on the new car, simply amazing.

Last edited:

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
How many miles before first oil change? 950

2) How many miles before racing? Not raced

3) How many miles before dyno? Not dyno'd

4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? I have never hit Redline and only 8k a couple times. Normal driving shifts are around 1st @ 3500. Gears 2,3,4 @ 4 -4500 warmed up. Usually down shift when approaching a stop or slower traffic. Hardly ever downshift as far as 1st.

5) Have you ever revved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ No. Always let the car warm to about 130 before leaving and never went over 3000 before reaching full temp

6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? No, 93 always

8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? N/A

9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? 3 oil changes to date. I do the work myself. Always Motorcraft 5-50

10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Every few days... no loss of oil @ 6700 miles

Tame Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
While I did not get a brand new GT350, I did just get a brand new engine replacement.
1) How many miles before first oil change? 720
2) How many miles before racing? 1100
3) How many miles before dyno? N/A
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 1100
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ Never
7) Stock or modified? Stock with Ford Performance AOS
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? N/A
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft 5W-50
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? I check it every few hundred miles and during and after track days. No oil added. I pulled ~15ml out of the passenger side AOS after 9 ~30 minute track sessions and ~300 street miles.

My break in procedure in was to minimize idling and coasting for the first ~500 miles. I broke it in during the Texas summer (100F+) so it got to operating temperature very quickly. Once at operating temperature (above 200F) I would go from ~45 to ~80 to ~45 in 3rd, then 4th, then 5th, over and over again; always on throttle or engine braking. I didn't go anywhere without varying the RPM from ~2000 to ~6500 over and over. From 500-1100 miles I just drove it normally, but stayed under ~7500 RPM.

I was surprised at how little metal came out of my engine at the 720 mile oil change; barely any shiny bits at all. I'm going to change the oil again around 2000 miles (1300 miles on the oil, plus two track days).

Did you break in the engine with the synthetic Motorcraft 5W-50? I was told engines should be broken in with conventional motor oil, and then synthetic after. Curious to know as I just had an engine replaced in my '17 GT350 due to oil consumption and pick it up tomorrow. Want to be sure I'm breaking it in properly!

Sponsored

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Maybe after COVID is over we will all have more important things to do that act like a very small percentage of engine failures is so uncommon. Each time I see this it reminds me some act like this is new and unbelievable. Try paying for any car where the brand has 0 problems. It's just that now you can easily jump on the web and act surprised. Like I said before, Ford has a better percentage than most get with marriage.

footnfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
OK, after about 9 months, I now have 940 miles on 2017 R HR271. I have a n opportunity to drive the car about 100 miles today, so I can go over 1000.

To date, bought the car with 32 miles, 9 months ago. Drove it the 150 miles home, varying engine speed a lot, up shifting and down shifting on Alligator Alley in Fl. .

I always let the oil hit at least 190 before I even approach 4K, which is a quick process in SW Florida!

Changed the oil at 200 miles. No shifts over 4K till 900 miles when I took it to 5K a couple of times on Sat date day with my lovely wife. No full throttle yet.

So, today I will be over 1000. I had planned to change the oil again but may not be able to.

So, I think I do several pulls till 6-7 K, maybe a couple of full throttle short pulls? Any additional advice , all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
OK, after about 9 months, I now have 940 miles on 2017 R HR271. I have a n opportunity to drive the car about 100 miles today, so I can go over 1000.

To date, bought the car with 32 miles, 9 months ago. Drove it the 150 miles home, varying engine speed a lot, up shifting and down shifting on Alligator Alley in Fl. .

I always let the oil hit at least 190 before I even approach 4K, which is a quick process in SW Florida!

Changed the oil at 200 miles. No shifts over 4K till 900 miles when I took it to 5K a couple of times on Sat date day with my lovely wife. No full throttle yet.

So, today I will be over 1000. I had planned to change the oil again but may not be able to.

So, I think I do several pulls till 6-7 K, maybe a couple of full throttle short pulls? Any additional advice , all advice is welcomed and appreciated.
I did similar on my 2019. Though I did 4-5k sooner than you. But in the beginning, I did a lot of acceleration/deceleration, which I believe is the most important factor to properly seat the rings. After 1,000 miles, I was pushing 6-7k revs. I did an oil change just recently at 1,750 miles. I never saw my oil level change at all, meaning no oil consumption. I'm now at almost 1,900 miles, and everything goes(after a proper warming up of the oil).

footnfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I did similar on my 2019. Though I did 4-5k sooner than you. But in the beginning, I did a lot of acceleration/deceleration, which I believe is the most important factor to properly seat the rings. After 1,000 miles, I was pushing 6-7k revs. I did an oil change just recently at 1,750 miles. I never saw my oil level change at all, meaning no oil consumption. I'm now at almost 1,900 miles, and everything goes(after a proper warming up of the oil).
Good point, I forgot to add that yes, I did rev it up to 4k, and then let it wind down on compression, especially on my original drive home. I too checked the oil this morning, and it was still full from the change at 200 miles.

Had some fun this afternoon, revving it too 6K, and frankly, I did not do well shifting quickly with the clutch shift combo, on try one, but did better on try two! The clutch is so light, I am used to my 66 race car and my S351 Saleens, with much heavier clutches, but I'll get it it! At 62, I don't need to prove anything, I just love the car for what it is! Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate it.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The more you drive it in a spirited manner, the better you will get at shifting.
I found in the beginning, the transmission is pretty tight. Only now(1900 miles) is it starting to loosen up and the shifting and clutching is getting easier.
After doing the GT350 Track Attack last week, I realized just how smooth the transmission and clutch will eventually get. You need to drive the car at some high rpms, and do some shifting in the 5-7k range. These cars are most happy in the high rpm range.
Sponsored