Sponsored

How did you break in your gt350

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
1) How many miles before first oil change? 1200. Next change at 4000 miles. Now sits at 5200.
2) How many miles before racing? Not tracked.
3) How many miles before dyno? N/A
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? Per manual after break in period, probably after 1000 miles.
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? "Reved" is vague. Pulls to 5000 rpms and over when temp is 190 degrees and over.
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? NO
7) Stock or modified? Stock; passenger side oil separator.
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? NA
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Monitored after every gas fill up. Consuming 1 quart every 1000-1200 miles.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I've noticed that if the markings of the dipstick are on the right when inserting it, the level is consistent and right on the top of the mark. Flip it and the level is way high. Don't know if that matters much but over time of running way high on oil level can't be none too good,
What is the typical damage that occurs with over filling oil by like a quart?
I noticed this im not sure what the right procedure is but I suspect alot of people who think they are low are not.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
1) How many miles before first oil change? Havent changed it yet, 490 miles
2) How many miles before racing? Haven't raced it yet
3) How many miles before dyno? No Dyno yet
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 150
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ I don't know, didn't used to pay much attention but I never free rev it and I usually don't beat on anything until it's warmed up a little while. Knowing it's an issue I won't now for sure
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? No, Sunoco high test so far
7) Stock or modified? Stock
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? Original
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Factory oil still
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Every tank of fuel,No oil added, right on the dot

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I noticed this im not sure what the right procedure is but I suspect alot of people who think they are low are not.
That's the thing I'm wondering, if we are all at the top with it the lettering on the bottom and then 1 quart over with lettering on the top, Maybe we're all driving with 1 extra quart in there. Maybe it would more wise for the lower reading to be a little from bottom and top reading a little from top vs top and way over.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
FWIW, I think cause of engine failure should be on our little "questionnaire"

Interesting cause of failure. It would seem like you'd need a decent sized piece of FOD to fail the phaser but I've never seen a phaser up close to know. I'm glad they got you up and running again, that's good to know.:cheers:

BTW, thanks for sharing.
I added another question.
11) If engine failure, please note cause.

Sponsored

rancherogt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 Track Pack, 07 Volvo V70, 82 f350
1) How many miles before first oil change? About 1200
2) How many miles before racing? I have not taken it to a road track yet. I did on a whim from a car show take it to my local drag strip was around 3000 miles I did discovered where the fuel cut was. :thumbsup: And was kicked off the track after a few passes because I ran to fast with out a helmet.
3) How many miles before dyno? No plans on dyno.
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? Around 700
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? No
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? Yes 90 octane on my trip back from Vegas last year in the Colorado Rocky Mountains highest available at altitude.
7) Stock or modified? Ford performance dual oil catch cans.
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? Original
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? 5w50 Motorcraft & filter.
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Once a week I just like to know where I am at. Add a quart about every 2000-2500 miles. I'am OK with that.

Currently the car is in winter storage but I have 13000+ miles on my Shelby.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Great guys! 28 responses so far!

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
1) How many miles before first oil change? 900
2) How many miles before racing? 250
3) How many miles before dyno? n/a
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 250
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? No
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? No
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Amsoil 5w50, OE filter
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Check level constantly, add a few drops when needed
11) If engine failure, please note cause. n/a

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That's the thing I'm wondering, if we are all at the top with it the lettering on the bottom and then 1 quart over with lettering on the top, Maybe we're all driving with 1 extra quart in there. Maybe it would more wise for the lower reading to be a little from bottom and top reading a little from top vs top and way over.
facing the right as in towards the driver?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
1) How many miles before first oil change?

2) How many miles before racing?

3) How many miles before dyno?

4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250?

5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ Maybe, but try not to

6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel?
No, 91 all the time

7) Stock or modified?
UPR oil catch cans

8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? N/A

9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use?
5w50 motorcraft

10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil?
started monitoring recently, after adding two quarts in ~6000 miles.

11) If engine failure, please note cause.
N/A

Now have 16,500 miles, two track days, and am waiting for oil lines (and dry weather) before doing more.

-T

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
facing the right as in towards the driver?

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
1) How many miles before first oil change? 1000
2) How many miles before racing? none
3) How many miles before dyno? none
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250? 1500
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ never
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? 93 octane always
7) Stock or modified? FP catch cans
8) If your engine was replaced, at how many miles were on the original engine? original
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Motorcraft 5w50, Motorcraft filter
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Monitor every 500 miles, seems to lose around 1/2 - 3/4 quart every 2000 miles

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I'm not sure which way the oil stick is supposed to face. But IIRC, the first time I pulled my oil stick the markings were facing up. Since then, I've always just kept it facing up. Seems counter intuitive to pull it and have it facing down, then needing to flip it to see the markings.

Your post made me curious, so I just checked my oil with the dipstick facing down. I didn't see a big difference. With the markings up, the oil is right at the top hash mark, which is where its been since my last oil change. With the markings down, it's at the top dot or maybe slightly below the top dot. This is kind of the opposite of what you're seeing, since you say yours reads higher with the markings facing up.

The manual says the oil level should be between the two dots, so if yours is much higher than the top dot one way or the other, it might be overfilled. :confused:

Last edited:

murdock2112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Black, 2015 GT, PP
1) How many miles before first oil change? 4200
2) How many miles before racing? Haven't
3) How many miles before dyno? Nope
4) How many miles before taking the RPM to 8250?:shrug:
5) Have you ever reved the engine before reaching operating temps? 180+ Maybe (reved to what?)
6) Have you used less than 91-93 octane fuel? Nope
9) If you changed or had the oil changed, what oil did you use? Will be motorcraft oil/filter
10) How often did you monitor your oil level or added oil? Every other fill up

Currently in storage but, will do the first oil change once I get it out actually probably after the oil line recall is completed.

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2009 BMW X6 50i, 2012 BMW K1300R
I have a question about the brake in METHOD! As a new GT350 owner, that looks forward to the delivery, I've read in parts of the net that there are basically 2 methods of engine brake-in:

NO 1: THE ORTHODOX WAY: As per manual.
NO 2: THE UNORTHODOX WAY: Drive it as you stole it from the get go (as low miles as possible). Meaning that after the complete engine warmup, do a couple of hard revs at different speeds, in order to force the sealing of certain parts in the engine :O Dunno if this is a myth or not, but I don't know if I could allow myself to mistreat the new car like that. Some even swear by this method as they say, this way will seal up lots of internals and minimise oil consumption in the future and 2 some even say the engine generates more powe afterwards compared to the classical method. Some even posted dyno charts of same cars broken in differently on the same dynos, and apparently there was a difference there (subtle but true).

So what do you guys think?
Sponsored