Sponsored

how block replacements fix the tick

how many new blocks it took to fix the tick?

• 1 short block

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 2 short blocks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 or more short blocks

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 1 long block

• 2 long blocks

• 3 or more long blocks

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • a combination of short and long blocks

• new n-th block is ticking, the problem isnot solved yet

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • non block replacement fixed the tick

• non block replacement did not fix the tick

• Total voters

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
Injector noise isn't referred to as the BBQ tick. The BBQ tick is bottom end ticking which can be heard down low behind the front wheels.
non of that as of yet then
Sponsored

VelR5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 5.0, 2022 Mustang GT
I have personally heard of an individual that is on the 3rd engine! Ford performance specialized shop told me about it, so I doubt they lied to me as there is nothing to gain from it. If you ask me I think is disturbing that you can have 2 back to back bad engines! Actually, it's 3 since the engine that came in the car.

MyMustangTikz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang tick edition, 2004 bmw 545i
My 17 gt had the tick, was consuming oil and smoking at idle. The dealer replaced the short block and 1000 miles later its ticking again. Only from cold til full temp. However, it blue smokes 3 or 4 seconds after starting after it sets for more than 30 mins.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I have personally heard of an individual that is on the 3rd engine! Ford performance specialized shop told me about it, so I doubt they lied to me as there is nothing to gain from it. If you ask me I think is disturbing that you can have 2 back to back bad engines! Actually, it's 3 since the engine that came in the car.
3rd engine is just 2 new blocks. Several board members have that many.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
My 17 gt had the tick, was consuming oil and smoking at idle. The dealer replaced the short block and 1000 miles later its ticking again. Only from cold til full temp. However, it blue smokes 3 or 4 seconds after starting after it sets for more than 30 mins.
Ok, you actually had an issue with your engine, with it smoking and using oil. That’s legit.

How many ppl with these engine noises, ticks, etc are having any other symptoms beyond the noise? Much of what I have read involves a new noise, the dealer getting involved with various diagnosis, some of which lead to a complete engine replacement in an attempt to fix it. Likely why Ford issued a TSB regarding noises. Obviously, other issues that come up besides the noise are going to be investigated and can’t be waved off. Maybe they are hoping those “other issues” won’t happen until the warranty runs out? Possibly. It could also be possible they are trying to sort out real engine problems from audible gremlins. Mine ticked weird for maybe 30 seconds randomly about a week ago on startup. I have no idea what it was.

Sponsored

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know what is making the tick noise?
take down oil pan -grab big end of rod on crank and you can move the rod side to side on the crank and hear the same noise as when its running . thats the loud tick people hear that sounds like piston slap but is not ..thats the noise ..i figure the rod heats up and expands before the crank due to density then starts to make noise then when fully hot its closer to spec/tollerance and my noise is gone , for me it happens to start normal then 3 min in it starts to make noise then in 3 more min its gone and doesn't happen unless the car cools down for hours then it repeats ..

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
take down oil pan -grab big end of rod on crank and you can move the rod side to side on the crank and hear the same noise as when its running . thats the loud tick people hear that sounds like piston slap but is not ..thats the noise ..i figure the rod heats up and expands before the crank due to density then starts to make noise then when fully hot its closer to spec/tollerance and my noise is gone , for me it happens to start normal then 3 min in it starts to make noise then in 3 more min its gone and doesn't happen unless the car cools down for hours then it repeats ..
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gen-3-coyote-measurements.122096/

I guess your engine and tick is different than this post.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i never said i actually did this i saw a video on youtube titled coyote tick or something and assumed thats what I'm dealing with so maybe your correct .i saw the other thread you sent me so that was defiantly interesting and possibly promising but why do some have noise and others don't or why do some develop it with some miles ..do we all have the noise and some are just not worried about it

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I Don’t know! Your post seemed that you found the culprit.
Ford seems to know and says pay it no mind. Be nice if they’d ID the source.
GT Pony’s theory says everyone has loose big end rod / /crank clearance issues like you think.

Sponsored

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Don’t know! Your post seemed that you found the culprit.
Ford seems to know and says pay it no mind. Be nice if they’d ID the source.
GT Pony’s theory says everyone has loose big end rod / /crank clearance issues like you think.
i assume the big end at the crank is the culprit too in my opinion too .i feel as if its a tolerance issue and some are just worse than others . i guess time will tell .im going to boost mine soon and if it breaks i will build a short block for it .

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There's still data that shows excessive rod side clearance could be the cause - been some Gen2 Coyotes that definitely had bad ticking and were found to have rod side clearances out of factory spec. Ford replaced short blocks which fixed many of the tickers, and didn't on other tickers (so maybe another bad short block?). One guy's measurements don't blow the whole theory out of the water - it just muddies the waters.
Sponsored