frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my struts from Roush after waiting almost 2 months. Easy install but the passenger side is now higher 1/16th of an inch. Undid the install and the hood is fine. I really like these struts so I emailed Roush to see if I got the new ones after the change from alleron's comment above. Will post what's going on.

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Just got my struts from Roush after waiting almost 2 months. Easy install but the passenger side is now higher 1/16th of an inch. Undid the install and the hood is fine. I really like these struts so I emailed Roush to see if I got the new ones after the change from alleron's comment above. Will post what's going on.
It was the passenger side that was about 1/16" too high on mine too. Crazy that Roush sent out another too tall set, after warning me to check the hood clearance. I looked for huge Plastigage, or kid's Playdough but the best I could come up with was a piece of cheese as a "witness gage" of hood clearance to the top of the fender bracket.

You can deal with Roush, or spend 5 minutes with a grinder or file and easily fix the problem. I do understand, however, how irritating it is to purchase the most expensive (and best designed) hood strut system, only to have a stupid clearance problem. Grrrr.

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Amen to that. You got a great price I paid $149 for mine and then for this to happen....ug!

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Amen to that. You got a great price I paid $149 for mine and then for this to happen....ug!
That is why I stuck with redline because I was very familiar with the install due to other installs in the past and the customer service is outstanding. I would wait for them to send you the replacement as that is what you paid for to start with and not cleaning up their problems. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Contacted Roush and was given a RMA number for return. I tried 3 times but the hood on the passenger side was 1/16th too high, ug. Roush was very nice about all this but could not explain why. Rumor was that they were going to redesign the strut brackets to eliminate the hight problem. So did I get old stock???
Back to the drawing board.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Contacted Roush and was given a RMA number for return. I tried 3 times but the hood on the passenger side was 1/16th too high, ug. Roush was very nice about all this but could not explain why. Rumor was that they were going to redesign the strut brackets to eliminate the hight problem. So did I get old stock???
Back to the drawing board.
Go with Redilne!..

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Got the Redline and they work fine. The only problem is that the drivers side hood line is slightly lower than the fender. Also, step 6 says to make sure the red attachment, like a nut, on the fender is in the proper position before tightening. Yeh well you can't see what position it's in the bracket covers the hole, there's nowhere to see.
But the work fine and will stay on till the end..

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Got the Redline and they work fine. The only problem is that the drivers side hood line is slightly lower than the fender. Also, step 6 says to make sure the red attachment, like a nut, on the fender is in the proper position before tightening. Yeh well you can't see what position it's in the bracket covers the hole, there's nowhere to see.
But the work fine and will stay on till the end..
Once you have the red insert in the proper position if you keep enough pressure while tightening it will stay in the proper position until tightened. As for the hood being lower, I am assuming that may have to do with the fender itself and not the strut. Hard to say without seeing it in person. I see that you are local. Maybe someday we can meet up and compare. I am not far from Crossroads Ford in Cary.

Sponsored

jedblanks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Installed ford performance hood struts, caused hood to bow /flex in the middle and stuck up more than stock. Removed because I didn't like the look and don't want to cause damage to hood.

CJ pony parts wants me to cover return shipping on a part that doesn't fit so I guess I'm out $20 on a $60 part.

Can't recommend the Ford performance hood struts.

I did get some nice scuff marks on the panted inside of the hood and hold where the mounts go so at least all isn't lost.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Installed ford performance hood struts, caused hood to bow /flex in the middle and stuck up more than stock. Removed because I didn't like the look and don't want to cause damage to hood.

CJ pony parts wants me to cover return shipping on a part that doesn't fit so I guess I'm out $20 on a $60 part.

Can't recommend the Ford performance hood struts.

I did get some nice scuff marks on the panted inside of the hood and hold where the mounts go so at least all isn't lost.
I would ask them to replace it with the Redline as Ford Performance one could be defective that way they should cover the cost.

jedblanks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thats exactly what I asked -- to exchange them for redline. Response from vendor was "usually not a problem with stock hood - is yours stock? Here is your RMA number. Return to this address. Shipping is at your expense. Refund will be issued with original payment upon receipt and approval." Yes its a stock hood, on a car with 121 miles on it.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Thats exactly what I asked -- to exchange them for redline. Response from vendor was "usually not a problem with stock hood - is yours stock? Here is your RMA number. Return to this address. Shipping is at your expense. Refund will be issued with original payment upon receipt and approval." Yes its a stock hood, on a car with 121 miles on it.
it sounds like one of those situations where you have to call and speak to someone else. I purchased the Steeda IRS Subframe some time ago that was defective and never had an issue. Good luck!

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
CJ's customer service leaves a lot to be desired. At least when I returned a deck lid panel they payed for the shipping. (long story with that though) Strange they wouldn't pay for it on such a small part. Also, $20 seems pretty high.
Sponsored