Sponsored

Highest mileage ecoboost and long term durability

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
Not high, but I'm right at 50k with a Livernois tune since day one, CAI and therm. Finally considering a downpipe maybe.

This car was bought strictly for good mileage and fun driving commuting and occasional weekend trips with the wife. It has been 100% flawless, not a single issue other than blowing the rack out by an on track oh shit maneuver. I don't want a loud exhaust and want it to be mostly stock (suspension has been swapped as well) appearance and just an easy cruiser. I'm a super aggressive driver and my brakes are just now needing replaced. So far so good with the car.
Sponsored

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
Ford performance tune at 25k miles, currently at 52k. I had the oil analyzed after my most recent oil change and it came back with possible coolant in the oil. If true, I attribute that to the open block used with the 2.3 liter engines.
Realistically, I anticipate the 2.3 in the Bronco to be fully capable of going 200k with good maintenance. My biggest worry would be head gaskets. Not the end of the world.
All that said, this is definitely not one of my favorite engines. It's buzzy, vibrates and is designed to satisfy Ma and Pa grocery getters with automatic transmissions that never see 5000 rpm. In that application, I think it's tits.

Bigstang16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red EB
Ford performance tune at 25k miles, currently at 52k. I had the oil analyzed after my most recent oil change and it came back with possible coolant in the oil. If true, I attribute that to the open block used with the 2.3 liter engines.
Realistically, I anticipate the 2.3 in the Bronco to be fully capable of going 200k with good maintenance. My biggest worry would be head gaskets. Not the end of the world.
All that said, this is definitely not one of my favorite engines. It's buzzy, vibrates and is designed to satisfy Ma and Pa grocery getters with automatic transmissions that never see 5000 rpm. In that application, I think it's tits.
how do you have the oil tested? Is it expensive?

c90369739

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tichu
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost premium white
I own a 2015 EB Manual transmission, bought brand new.

I change engine oil every 5K miles intervals, and got a stage 1 tune when it reach 49K miles two years ago. It currently have 59K miles.
I replaced the spark plug when once, but it was because I read the Ford didn't have consistent gap from factory.

Refill the A/C coolant once after 5 years of ownership.
I took the car to gymkhana in the summer once, didn't overheat.

Sponsored

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Something happened on the way to work this morning...

20201229_083129.jpg

I bought the car new from a dealership in February of 2015 and she has been my daily driver ever since.

I have loved this car the moment I bought. She's just gorgeous.

In 2016, I took her to a road course, the first time for me in any car and I actually shared her with my nephew for the day. I did:
7 track days in 2016
8 track days in 2017
10 track days in 2018
3 track days in 2019 &
4 track days this year.
In 2017 the Mod bug hit. Some have worked pretty well, others have been a disappointment.
What worked: Intercooler, Cat Back Exhaust, Project6GR wheels, Cobb Accessport V3 (worth every penny), 6 piston Brembo Brake Upgrade, MGW short shifter.
What wasn't so great:
Single Piece Driveshaft...$800 I really wish I could get back.
Steeda Supension Mods...The car is fast on the track, but man there are so many clunks and rattles now. Mishimoto Cold air intake and charge pipes, I don't think they've added a lick of performance, but they sure look pretty.
I have had 3 accidents with this car...I was rear ended on the freeway once (pretty minor) and 2 parking lot incidents, both of which impacted the passenger rear quarter panel. Thank goodness for insurance.

I have had zero maintenance issues with this car. I has been completely problem free. There have been 2 recalls, only one of which I've taken care of, still have to get the door latches replaced.
I've changed the oil...A LOT! The year I did 10 track days, I must have changed the oil 5 times.
On Labor Day 2019, I got her on a dyno for the first time. I thought she did remarkably well considering the limited bolt-on and I was using the Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune (all I've ever used).
20190901_131628.jpg

Dyno Pull.jpg

Fairly impressive...I say.

I've done all this, and I still have 2 more payments to make before she's all mine. The plan is to retire her from daily duty and make her track only in 2021. But that means finding her replacement. I'm open to suggestions.
The 2015 Ecoboost Mustang has been an excellent car. The only other car I've owed since new was a Honda Civic, and ya know, I've had fewer problems with the Mustang. I'm thinking of getting a Blue Oval tattooed on my bicep soon.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hey friends!

I’m joining y’all today from the Bronco6G forums. I’m actually a mod over there, and there are some pretty common questions/ concerns people have over the 2.3. I figured since y’all have experience with these engines for a few years now, we might be able to glean some info and help assuage some fears! The biggest questions we get relate more to high-mileage ecoboost owners. People are planning on keeping their Broncos for 200k+ and are concerned about long term reliability when getting to that high of mileage. Concerns just with a turbo 4 cylinder and the complexity that comes with it, and carbon buildup are the two biggest ones I see. Any comment on reliability with tunes is appreciated as well, since the stick shift is only available with the 2.3 a significant portion of members are planning on tuning. And lastly, is there any specific maintenance or servicing that these engines need at higher mileage?

Thanks for the help. I know a lot of these questions have been sort of answered before but I haven’t seen a whole lot of talk about high mileage ecoboosts yet, a lot of talk about 40k-80k mileage and I was hoping to see some larger numbers! Thanks for your time guys.
You just need to keep up with the maintenance and drive it normally. Most engine failures are from ragging on these little motors.

RedEcoJet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost - Pre-Production #280 Product Planning & Styling Vehicle
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like an old post, but for those interested, I've got 194k miles on my EB Premium. Auto with 3.31 gears. Only mods are a catch can, Airaid tube, Green filter, colder plugs, MSD coils, aluminum water pump pulley. 2014 Spanish engine.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would like to know if Grafanton did make his Ecoboost a track only car in 2021. RedEcoJet , I would like to see a picture of your Ecoboost.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I would like to know if Grafanton did make his Ecoboost a track only car in 2021. RedEcoJet , I would like to see a picture of your Ecoboost.
Nope...still my daily driver.
Took it to the track 5 times this year, though. Just passed 112,000 miles on my way to work this morning. I have a bad driver's side rear wheel bearing that I plan on replacing over the holiday weekend.
As much as I love it, to be honest, it's not a great track car. The consumables, brake pads & tires, are kind of expensive. And considering what I pay for those consumables, I just don't have enough power. Something smaller and lighter that's easier on its tires like a Miata or a Focus would probably be a more economical choice or a C5 or C6 Corvette would get me a lot more speed for not a lot of more money and cheaper consumables. I getting married this year, so for now those choices are going to have to wait until I hit the lottery. In the mean time I'll keep beating on the Ecoboost until something major breaks.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Thanks for your reply. Now my curiosity is put to rest. Looks like the mileage is adding up nicely.
Sponsored