Sponsored

Ecoboost...tuned power numbers and long term needs/problems?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
oops wrong thread...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I'm surprised that there seems to be not a single vote for the Ecoboost.

I absolutely love mine. I don't regret the choice even the tiniest bit.

I have tracked the car 7 times in 2016 and frequently passed GT's with relative ease and while their stopping for gas on the way home, I'm cruising home getting 30mpg. It is still a heavy pig, but the Ecoboost is significantly lighter on the front end.

My only disappointment is that the Ecoboost does sound a bit anemic in stock trim, but I honestly don't think the Coyote has all that great a V8 rumble, its much raspier than the Camaro's and similar push-rod V8's.

I will agree with what everyone else said, in that it sounds like you really want the V8. You need to find a way to afford what you really want. A wise man once told me that if you buy something and you hate it, it doesn't matter how little you paid for it, if you buy something and love it, it won't matter how much it costs.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'm surprised that there seems to be not a single vote for the Ecoboost.

I absolutely love mine. I don't regret the choice even the tiniest bit.

I have tracked the car 7 times in 2016 and frequently passed GT's with relative ease and while their stopping for gas on the way home, I'm cruising home getting 30mpg. It is still a heavy pig, but the Ecoboost is significantly lighter on the front end.

My only disappointment is that the Ecoboost does sound a bit anemic in stock trim, but I honestly don't think the Coyote has all that great a V8 rumble, its much raspier than the Camaro's and similar push-rod V8's.

I will agree with what everyone else said, in that it sounds like you really want the V8. You need to find a way to afford what you really want. A wise man once told me that if you buy something and you hate it, it doesn't matter how little you paid for it, if you buy something and love it, it won't matter how much it costs.
I get V8 envy from time to time. Partially because my exhaust is still stock, save for a resonator delete. I imagine a lot of EB owners - even those who love their cars - get that twinge from time when they hear a big 6.4L pushrod V8 rumble by.

People get so hung up on the V8 sound and say 4 cylinders sound bad. I have heard some amazing sounding WRX's and a Focus ST that sounded nothing like a 4cyl. You can make these engines sound great.

I think when looking at performance cars, you should be looking at what you want out of the car, what it's purpose is, and what your ultimate power goals are. V8's make more power out of the box, but they cost more. Turbo 4's can be built up to make serious power. UPR is in the 9's with their EB. If we're talking modding, it doesn't really matter what engine you start with. The aftermarket is there to get you to where you want to be power wise.

I get the V8 attraction. Especially on a pony car. And especially with it being the iconic 5.0. When it comes to pony cars and their engines, the V8 is the heart and soul of a pony car.

Still love my EB, though. And when I get done with her in a couple years, she will bathe in the tears of V8 owners. :headbang:

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I'll be putting $10k down. That's how I'm getting the $250-$300/mo x 36mos. :thumbsup:

At this point I'm still thinking the GT is the way to go. However, whatever I decide, I'll shop for a gray one, fly/drive to test it, and if it's a good deal...drive it home. Real shopping won't start until June.

Having a heck of a time finding them with the performance pack for under $20k. Even with a ton of miles (which I wouldn't buy) I'm still not seeing them for sale. I suppose I can always pay for the Brembo's and nice shocks and throw them on myself. No clue what that would cost but with the aftermarket these cars have I have no doubt it's possible.

Thanks

-Emt1581
You are putting 10k down?

Dude, just get the GT... I don't feel like hearing your whining over the next 100 years because you purchased an ecoboost.

Or worse, you will trade in your ecoboost in short order for a GT and then be salty about the loss and visit the eco forum and troll threads (make sure your car is not yellow).

I honestly believe you have to "want" the eco to be happy... I'm very happy with mine, but it is what I wanted from the start. If you want that V8, you won't be happy with the eco... trust me. And if you visit car meets, you will get reminded of the fact you don't have a V8 every time you want to leave... your car will sound like shit. Less than a man, you will be*. :eyebulge: :lol:

Get the V8... 10k down... a dealer will definitely work with you to get the numbers right, trust me....

*Just kidding... love the sound of my car, but if you hate the 4 (for all the reasons listed), you will hate your life. :)

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
You are putting 10k down?

Dude, just get the GT... I don't feel like hearing your whining over the next 100 years because you purchased an ecoboost.

Or worse, you will trade in your ecoboost in short order for a GT and then be salty about the loss and visit the eco forum and troll threads (make sure your car is not yellow).

I honestly believe you have to "want" the eco to be happy... I'm very happy with mine, but it is what I wanted from the start. If you want that V8, you won't be happy with the eco... trust me. And if you visit car meets, you will get reminded of the fact you don't have a V8 every time you want to leave... your car will sound like shit. Less than a man, you will be*. :eyebulge: :lol:

Get the V8... 10k down... a dealer will definitely work with you to get the numbers right, trust me....

*Just kidding... love the sound of my car, but if you hate the 4 (for all the reasons listed), you will hate your life. :)
You lost me....how does putting $10k mean the dealer will work with me? And what does that mean, that they'll lower pricing just due to me putting ~1/3 of the car's payment down? I've just never bought a new car before.

My thinking is if I buy the 13-14 GT I'll want it paid off in 2yrs. But if I buy a brand new GT I'll have 3 years of a warranty...maybe 4-5 if I add that on....and I'll give myself 5yrs or so to pay it off.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
You lost me....how does putting $10k mean the dealer will work with me? And what does that mean, that they'll lower pricing just due to me putting ~1/3 of the car's payment down? I've just never bought a new car before.

My thinking is if I buy the 13-14 GT I'll want it paid off in 2yrs. But if I buy a brand new GT I'll have 3 years of a warranty...maybe 4-5 if I add that on....and I'll give myself 5yrs or so to pay it off.

Thanks

-Emt1581
You are simply creating drama by limiting the focus on 13 to 14 GTs. Stop the drama.. you can get a certified GT 2015/16 for 25k.

You walk in with 10k to put down, with financing on top of that, and more than likely get it for less than 25k (I would research how much a dealer would trade for a 2015/16 and then start your offer there and negotiate on up).

Warranty on certified is longer than 3 years... but check the specifics, I'm not an expert on warranty matters.

Go get the GT and stop this... :love:

If you get the eco, please promise not to come here with your belly moaning about how you should have gotten the GT or "X" is wrong with the eco....

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Get whichever GT you can pay off in 2 years. You don't want the burden of car payments for 5 years. The interest on a full term loan will have you paying several thousand more for the car if you have to carry it for the full 5 years. That's several thousand you could put into go fast parts.

When I picked up my EB there was a new base GT on the lot for 28k. I"m positive you can find a used 15 GT for 25k or less if you look hard enough. Might not be a premium, but hey, at least you get the 5.0.
If not, the S197 Mustangs are nice, too. Not quite as nice, but still nice.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow! Just checked how much the used 15+ GT's are going for....WITH Perf Pack and 15k miles...under $25k!!

I had no idea they'd be $10k under new.

So that'll be my new goal....c'mon huge tax refund!!

Thanks

-Emt1581

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
Everything really depends on what trade-offs/sacrifices your willing to give up:

• If you really want 13/14 Mustang GT's then here is a couple around $21K with low miles:

• If you want a 15-17 GT with low miles and around $20K then thats like finding a needle in a haystack.

• If you just want the S550 style and have the ability to get stock V8 like power then you can certainly get that and more with the ecoboost.

Good luck with whatever options you choose.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Yeah, for 30 dollars more a month I could be driving a GT. Maybe another 80 or so a month for insurance. Gas likely evens out since it takes regular and I don't commute long to work.

Sponsored

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
How is this thread still a thing... *why did i spend 5 mins reading it*
You have a $10k deposit. buy the more expensive heavier car. lol the heart wants what the heart wants. Don't let your head do any of the thinking ;)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
$10k down on a car is throwing money away...

As soon as you drive the thing off the lot it takes a 30% hit in deprecation.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$10k down on a car is throwing money away...

As soon as you drive the thing off the lot it takes a 30% hit in deprecation.
Not understanding the logic here. $10k down vs. $0 down... unless you are able to make the 1.5-2.5% back in interest consistently over the course of the loan with that lump, what's the benefit in not putting it down to have significantly lower payments?

I'd love to know what investments you can make that kind of money with using such a small amount.

Thanks

-Emt1581

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Not understanding the logic here. $10k down vs. $0 down... unless you are able to make the 1.5-2.5% back in interest consistently over the course of the loan with that lump, what's the benefit in not putting it down to have significantly lower payments?

I'd love to know what investments you can make that kind of money with using such a small amount.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Well, that is the problem... no one can tell the future.

Had I known the market would be ON FIRE over the last couple of years, no way I'd paid down on my house and paid off my car.

Flip side is I'm old enough to have been on the other side... paid off my car and the market tanked.

No one can tell you what to do with your money... only you know your financials. I have more than enough in the market anyway (guess, technically, you can never have too much...)... I'm good for retirement, ahead of the game.

I'm just wondering in what universe does a used car drop 30% in depreciation driving off the lot... that is crazy, unless someone negotiated 0 dollars off... I sorta ignored her comment from that statement alone.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost

Thanks

-Emt1581
Depends on your level of acceptable risk (and keep in mind that savings accounts are compound interest while 99% of auto loans are simple interest)...

Ally savings account = guaranteed 1% interest. Compounded over 6 years = 10,618 in the account
$25k loan at 1.9% interest over 6 years = $1471.83 paid in interest ($367.66/mo)
Same loan as above over 4 years = $981.81 paid in interest ($541.29/mo)

$15k loan at 1.9% interest over 6 years = 883.10 paid in interest ($220.60/mo)
Same loan as above over 4 years = $589.09 paid in interest ($324.77/mo)

So, if you use a 6 year loan in this example, by paying $1471.83 in interest, but making $618 guaranteed over the same term, your interest cost effectively becomes $853.83, or $30 less than making the down payment and you still have access to that cash. Even at 4 years, your total effective interest would be $573.83 (based on $408 in accrued interest after 4 years).

If you are more of a risk taker, you could actually invest that 10k in the market, and possibly gain 10-15% over that time period, but with the potential to also lose that same amount. A good investor would advise you on a balance of funds that would give the best return potential, with little more risk than a normal savings account.

Just my $.02
Sponsored