Sponsored

Ecoboost...tuned power numbers and long term needs/problems?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I've always wanted a V8, 5.0, GT Mustang. Just the big engine, raw power, sound, etc....along with the speed, look, and feel of the car. However, financially, I'd either have to buy a 13-14 GT or wait quite a while before a $35k car would be in my budget. An Ecoboost is a different story. I could buy one tomorrow if I wanted to. New they are $20-ish and used $16K-$18k all day.

I just never gave the Ecoboost much thought because it was the wimpy 4cyl faking the power with a turbo wheel instead of having the big NA engine doing it naturally. And I've been looking for 13-14 GT's so that I could finally have my Mustang and a 5.0. But I'd love to have the S550 for the styling and comfort among other amenities.

A few concerns with the Ecoboost...

How many horses can these be boosted to with nothing more than a simple tune...and no additional parts installed/swapped?

Same question but maybe adding a few parts not more than $1k worth....how many horses can it be pushed to?

What does tuning do to the car over time? Does it slowly destroy the trans, motor, diffs, etc.?

Long term, what costs am I looking at owning an Ecoboost vs. just oil changes for a 5.0? Replacing the turbo and other model-specific parts concerns me.

I saw a video today with some "unleashed" tuned EB keeping up with a GT w/ PP. Impressed the hell out of me, when the cost difference is considered. I'm not trying to impress anyone with a huge engine if I can go really fast with a smaller one.

Any info/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

Chez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Honestly, sounds like you won't be happy with an Eco. Save up and get the GT. Get what you really want the first time.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
You obviously want the GT.
Stop trying to rationalize and buy a used '15.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, sounds like you won't be happy with an Eco. Save up and get the GT. Get what you really want the first time.
Yesterday I'd have agreed. But I'd like to know the info I asked about to judge for myself if I'd be just as happy with a tuned EB.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday I'd have agreed. But I'd like to know the info I asked about to judge for myself if I'd be just as happy with a tuned EB.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Where do you stand on warranty?
Pro tuned ecoboost = denied engine warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where do you stand on warranty?
Pro tuned ecoboost = denied engine warranty.
Kinda how I stood on super charging a GT....wait until the warranty is up to do it.

Or is that a bad idea for some reason?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Chez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT

Thanks

-Emt1581

Ford performance tune gets you 335 HP/390 TQ. For $550 plus install.
OR
Find a used intercooler/accessport and have Tune+ tune it for around $1k.

I would recommend a catch can as well.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Get the GT and do not waste money on the Ecoboost.

I bought an Ecoboost and put 27k miles on it and enjoyed them for sure but I was never fully satisfied with it. I upgraded the intercooler, catback, intake, charge pipes, bov and tuning (all parts were top notch quality) but I was always afraid of it blowing up. The Ecoboost has practical advantages and it is fun to drive but it is not nearly as satisfying.

Invest in yourself and get a used GT. Otherwise I would recommend waiting until you can afford one. Even if you get an EB to be as fast as a GT it still isn't anything like one. Not in its power delivery, sound, reliability or road respect.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do an insurance comparison.
In certain states a gt is double.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do an insurance comparison.
In certain states a gt is double.
It'll cost me exactly $437 per year to add to our policy. :thumbsup:

-Emt1581

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
GT, you are knocking out any reasons to "settle" on a turbo.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, you are knocking out any reasons to "settle" on a turbo.
I just want to make sure I am making the most informed and best decision possible.

I'm not seeing a lot of replies raving about the advantages of the EB. So I guess the 13-14 GT is going to be what to continue focusing on. Then in the future I'll look at an S550 or whatever they are naming the next gen in 2020...I think the S650 if memory serves me.

-Emt1581

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Probably could get a used 2015 GT for 28-30k and won't be as dramatic on insurance since it is second hand. I'm starting to wish I held out one more year to do this.

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
The search function will help you significantly.

I personally love this car, but I also never liked Mustangs lol until the 2015's came out. If I wanted a tank of a v8, I would of got a Charger RT so I could have trucked my 3 kids and wife around more conveniently.

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
A few concerns with the Ecoboost...

How many horses can these be boosted to with nothing more than a simple tune...and no additional parts installed/swapped?
As someone already mentioned with the ford performance tune you can get 335 HP/390 TQ.. and retain factory warranty.

Same question but maybe adding a few parts not more than $1k worth....how many horses can it be pushed to?
For 1k you could get:

• Used map/levels intercooler on forums (300-500ish what I see them)
  • Used aem meth kit- 300-400ish
  • Tune+, unleashed, etc tune for meth probably like another 100-300 total

The above probably could help you creep closer to the 400 hp limit. Max safe limit on stock block is presumed like 450rwhp with meth or aux fuel.If you want more then that you got to start looking for forged bottom end which start going towards 3-5kish range.

What does tuning do to the car over time? Does it slowly destroy the trans, motor, diffs, etc.?
If you get a good tuner then should really be nothing.

Long term, what costs am I looking at owning an Ecoboost vs. just oil changes for a 5.0? Replacing the turbo and other model-specific parts concerns me.
Havent really read much about people having turbo issues
Sponsored