Sponsored

Help, Shop header install fail

DeepakGTCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 J7 California Special
Got my headers installed from a shop, was happy until I noticed an exhaust leak somewhere 3 days later, went back and left the car with them for the day. 1 day goes by I get a call and they say everything is good bolts have been tightened down. Seems good, hop in the car and drive home so far so good, car was at temperature. Shop worker said that I may need new clamps for my x pipe, okay no problem. Go home and order some off summit racing. Park the car for 3 hours get back in and start the car and theres a leak I heard previously. Hop out and reach down the passenger side of the engine bay and feel large plumes of air shooting out. I found the suspected leak. Seems like the shop may have not done the work properly as they stated and lied. I am disappointed and it looks as if one of my bolts for the header is bent. Contacted the shop owner and he promised me they checked every bolt, sent him the picture and his story changed, saying he would fix it 100% after I told him I'd go to another shop and have them look at it. What would you do? Would you try and fix it yourself?
Screenshot_20181007-121806_Video Player.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

coyote-ugly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt premium
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice..... I think I would find another shop. You're going to see that they probably buggered up the threads on the head.

OP
OP
DeepakGTCS

DeepakGTCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice..... I think I would find another shop. You're going to see that they probably buggered up the threads on the head.
I know, I'm so mad. I don't know what to do since I paid these guys a good chunk of change to install them.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
If I'm not mistaken it also looks like the bolt closest to the camera isn't doing anything, threads are still visible between the head of the bolt and the header flange?

OP
OP
DeepakGTCS

DeepakGTCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I'm not mistaken it also looks like the bolt closest to the camera isn't doing anything, threads are still visible between the head of the bolt and the header flange?
It's in there just needs to be tightened down, If I have time tonight ill back the bent one out and tighten the one thats loose.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Might be worth checking bolt length first, could be they used a bolt that was too long and when they couldn't turn it any more because it's bottomed out in the hole they assumed it was tight on the flange. If so, any further force could strip the thread.

OP
OP
DeepakGTCS

DeepakGTCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are all the same length bolts from the pypes kit

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
I wouldn't touch it. Let them look at it again. Have the shop owner do it himself. Whatever tech did that may have stripped some threads in the head. If that's the case, it's going to need more than new bolts. If you haven't touched it, they cannot put any blame on you.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
After seeing the pictures, for your safety, double check the engine mounts and the other fasteners.

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The one bolt definitely looks cross threaded. That’s all bad if it is

Sponsored

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Op where are you located?

1TUFF_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP. 2001 Mustang GT Cam’d & Vortech’d
Sucks big time!! Hope the shop straightens everything out for you man.

Stroked89coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
S550
I would expect at a minimum of an explanation on how they were going to correct the issue with the cross threaded bolt to ensure they were going to do it the right way. That would be my main concern. I mean honestly, depending on a few things like how far the bolt was cross threaded into the head, they may just be able to re-tap it with the same thread pitch and type and be ok. Just really depends.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yikes. I would be livid....

That top bolt in the pic is almost definitely cross threaded. I'd wager that hole is beyond tapping and might require a Helicoil. As to why the lower one isn't seated against the flange is a mystery since it appears to be going in straight. Unless any misalignment of the flange caused by the "top" bolt being botched made the "lower" one bind before it seated. Not good....
Sponsored