Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Vehicle(s)
Dikov
Hello Guys,
Unfortunately I blew up my 2017 Mustang with Roush/VMP 2.3 TVS

I really need suggestions on my next steps and to be honest I want to keep it simple and cheap if possible. Also if there are 2.3 roush/vmp owners that can take a look on the setup and let me know if they see anything wrong with it

After only 1000 miles with the supercharger(79mm pulley) I received a misfire code P0300 and P0303. We opened the engine and saw that the piston on cylinder 3 was gone, luckily the block and the walls were okay. It was close after or during a WOT with a 93 octane from a gas station that was quite suspicious.

My mechanic says that for him it lookes like it was injectors fault (ID1000s) which were used before and they are old, got em from a friend but were tested prior installing.. you can see how piston 3 and actually the one next to it seems washed and the other two are dark as it should be.

I will buy new 1050x just to be safe. Then I have the following 2 options:

Buy:
- 5.0L Coyote Manley Pistons / Manley H-
Beam Connecting Rods Combo

- Buy single piston/rod or get a used one from a mustang thats totaled nearby

Also I will attach photos of some vacuums in the intake manifold that I sealed + some strange breather that we had to installed, not sure if we installed everything properly, could a vacuum leak cause this?

No access to E85 in my country or at least I can buy in jugs from 200 miles away and I'm not sure if I need more power than what I have Right now.

Screenshot_20230926-191929.png

Screenshot_20230819-233656~2.png

PXL_20230923_154440239.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230923_153224949.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230923_153214497.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230923_153214497.NIGHT.jpg
Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Cheapest is single piston and clean up hone.

Block has to come out regardless. Would pass on used. Fords not that expensive usually

Any logs or copy of the tune?

OP
OP
Angel Dikov

Angel Dikov

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Vehicle(s)
Dikov
Where I can buy new single piston and a rod just in case? Thinking of buying studs but not sure if head studs only or something else, I already have OPGs, sprocket and crank saver stud, bot sure if it will be good to build or rather go the cheap route, especially when I'm at this power level and keeping it there.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Ford. Or get a used long block and install or even new long /short block.

I wouldn't do anything but the bare necessities if replacing one piston. Not worth upgrading anything else. Stock will hold assuming tune and fuel is adequate for boost and that bore is undamaged.

If your going to upgrade things then build it vs piecing this and that onto a hurt stock motor. There are not a lot of weak links in a gen2 for 10psi. Studs are a waste.

My20 gt500 injectors are perfect for this power level. $800 less than id1050x too.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
If your going wot on suspicious pump gas you may want to concider adding octane booster.

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Where I can buy new single piston and a rod just in case? Thinking of buying studs but not sure if head studs only or something else, I already have OPGs, sprocket and crank saver stud, bot sure if it will be good to build or rather go the cheap route, especially when I'm at this power level and keeping it there.
i have 7 rods and pistons from my gen2 engine failure… you can have them for free , just pay shipping from australia. 100+ euro maybe.

I decided to do a forged build on my engine. Spend once cry once so to speak Hahaha. I went mahle pistons , callies rods , and also sleeving the motor + all the other common upgrades.
I figured I’m going boosted and might as well build a reliable 1000+++ hp motor and run it at a safe 750-800 rwhp a not worry I’m pushing it limit.
for me being in australia total all in… back in the car running I’ll be $15,0000 AUD That’s very cheap for a built engine. A stock new engine is $20,000+ , maybe $12 to 15K for a second hand motor. importing a built FFR engine is $30,000…… a brand new aluminator is $25,000. Just crazy money.
so it taken a bit longer but I’ll have a really great motor for not much money. I’m getting block and bottom end built and I’m doing the rest. I’m also replacing lifters and rockers as they all had metal in them as well , as my bore was toast , Metal went thought everything.

let me know if I can help with piston/rods etc.

cheers

Tim

Lonniesgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lonnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Not too familiar but these marks on the block. Is this gasket material or damage to the block?

Screenshot_20230928_094404_Chrome.jpg

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Not too familiar but these marks on the block. Is this gasket material or damage to the block?

Screenshot_20230928_094404_Chrome.jpg
That’s severe detonation. Arcing etching between the cylinders once the fire ring in the head gasket is torched.

OP
OP
Angel Dikov

Angel Dikov

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Vehicle(s)
Dikov
Thank you everyone for your help guys, I'm still not sure how to proceed. My mechanic is saying that I should buy 1 piston / 1 rod to be safe and call it a day. But also I'm in Europe and I do not even want to open the motor again and even risk the block or the heads next time, because I'm lucky with this one.

I'm planning to add meth injection and the tuner is okay with that, so I can use it to reduce knock and potential damage from bad gas.

@
Timbuck
Really kind of your side, I'm just thinking if I should go your route and do meth injection. What other mods besides rods and pistons you did, that are a must?

Also if anyone can tell me where I can find a brand new rod and a piston or even send links for the forged one so I can see if it is worth it to build it or stay stock with new injectors and meth injection combo.

I'm sorry if I sound cheap guys, but I just installed the whole supercharger setup + coilovers, sync 3, set of new wheels and tires and a ton of other mods just to end up with a failure so I'm still thinking if I need to spend the rest of my savings on this or not..
1695915126760.png

Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
That’s severe detonation. Arcing etching between the cylinders once the fire ring in the head gasket is torched.
That’s what I’m thinking…. Can’t tell but that might need to be flycut to clean up

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
If your bore is fine , throwing a stock piston/rod combo back in with water/meth is a reasonable option If you have no so perfect fuel.

IMG_6428.png

IMG_6427.png

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
I did all timming chains, tensioners , secondary chain revers bracket , new guides , OP gears , boundry oil pump , crank spoket , head studs , cams bolts…. Pretty much all the coyote fail points.
a million hrs reading and guidance from other peoples builds on here.

OP
OP
Angel Dikov

Angel Dikov

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Vehicle(s)
Dikov
Thank you for the information guys. I was just about to buy stock piston and rings for my gen 2 but then I saw this post and wanted to ask you if you think its worth it to buy them for 600 usd? Also will they fit my gen 2 should I watch out for something?

Screenshot_20230930-203810.png