Headliner gap after new windshield

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Maybe it's always been there and I never noticed, but there's a gap between the headliner and the windshield now. I used Safelite and got an OEM windshield, and went back right away to ask about it. The guy reassured me they didn't touch the headliner, and infact the headliner begins securing to the roof about 2 inches in.

I did confirm my rear windshield also has a gap with the headliner, but its a smaller gap.

I'm more worried about issues down the line than cosmetics, but now that im aware of it I'm a little bothered now lol

Edit - if I had to guess, the gap is about half inch to an inch, but don't think it's quite an inch

20220514_145517.jpg

20220514_145237.jpg

20220514_145240.jpg
Sponsored

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Maybe it's always been there and I never noticed, but there's a gap between the headliner and the windshield now. I used Safelite and got an OEM windshield, and went back right away to ask about it. The guy reassured me they didn't touch the headliner, and infact the headliner begins securing to the roof about 2 inches in.

I did confirm my rear windshield also has a gap with the headliner, but its a smaller gap.

I'm more worried about issues down the line than cosmetics, but now that im aware of it I'm a little bothered now lol

Edit - if I had to guess, the gap is about half inch to an inch, but don't think it's quite an inch

20220514_145517.jpg

20220514_145237.jpg

20220514_145240.jpg
It seems to be the norm with the way Ford has designed the headliner in these cars...
The headliner is a one piece item and if it is not perfectly shaped, it sags and/or doesn't fit snugly against the front and back glass. It is held in place by magnets. Sometimes if you pull it loose at the magnets and reattach it while pushing up on the sag it corrects some of the poor fit. There are threads on this forum that discuss this issue in detail. I took a black Sharpie and colored the edge of the headliner and even though it still sags a little in some places, it kind of disappears behind the glass now. I chose that solution over going to a dealer and letting them "manhandle" my headliner...

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It seems to be the norm with the way Ford has designed the headliner in these cars...
The headliner is a one piece item and if it is not perfectly shaped, it sags and/or doesn't fit snugly against the front and back glass. It is held in place by magnets. Sometimes if you pull it loose at the magnets and reattach it while pushing up on the sag it corrects some of the poor fit. There are threads on this forum that discuss this issue in detail. I took a black Sharpie and colored the edge of the headliner and even though it still sags a little in some places, it kind of disappears behind the glass now. I chose that solution over going to a dealer and letting them "manhandle" my headliner...
Okay, yeah if this is just how it is then I'm blessed to have only realized after having the car for 3 years! Having my windshield replaced put all my attention to that area and I finally realized I guess. I'll dig around the forums and see what else I can find out. I'm always afraid of making an issue worse, especially one that's really a non-issue lol. My last car ended up having a headliner failure that sagged everywhere ... now THAT would be a real issue.

Perhaps I'll go at it with a sharpie :p

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Okay, yeah if this is just how it is then I'm blessed to have only realized after having the car for 3 years! Having my windshield replaced put all my attention to that area and I finally realized I guess. I'll dig around the forums and see what else I can find out. I'm always afraid of making an issue worse, especially one that's really a non-issue lol. My last car ended up having a headliner failure that sagged everywhere ... now THAT would be a real issue.

Perhaps I'll go at it with a sharpie :p
Here's a thread that discusses the problem in more detail:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/headliner.146408/

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
True story for your enjoyment...

I was reading this and thought I should go check to see if I have a gap there.
Then I remembered I have a convertible. I think senility may be setting in...

Sponsored

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
Cripes already! Headliner gaps? Headiner sag? That lack of quality, and quality control, is disturbing. Can't Ford build ANYTHING with consistent high quality?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra