Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Hans
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Interested if anybody has / had done a db sound reading on GTs with catless headers.
I did a search and it looks like @gundam83 had a very similar question to me previously, but didn't think it was resolved.

Headed to Thunder Hill soon, and just realized it's 103db. :headbang: Had I known I probably would have stuck to the SoCal tracks (Chuckwalla, Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow all had no limit).

My setup is: SW catless long tubes -> Magnaflow Tru-X resonator -> Roush Axlebacks.

Hopefully I'll be okay? Just wanted the group's feedback. It's hard for me to stick an OEM catback back on because I don't have it anymore and I have the MP concepts GT350 diffuser that spits out as quad tips... :'(
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well my stock header / catted / h-pipe / single chamber run way above 103 db so I'm guessing the tech guys aren't gonna be happy.

EDIT: Nevermind missed the true-x part. You should be good.

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
MF Tru X actually kills majority of the volume so despite the catless headers it may still be ok.

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
Back when I had catless headers + x-pipe + rtr comp axleback, the cops measured 113dB.

Anyways, your setup will probaby be right around the 103dB mark I bet. Just don't be an asshole and they probably won't say anything. Or try to short shift.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Your saving grace is that Tru-X. Otherwise you'd be way over

Sponsored

OP
OP
hson10

hson10

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Hans
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all. Yeah I totally agree with everybody - the tru-x really brought the sound down a ton.

I used to have catless headers to h pipe to roush ab and it was so unbearably loud. The tru-x made it waaay quieter, but still pretty loud WOT.

I'm thinking if I don't go WOT past the sound booths I should be okay? @Jmtoast @vincentjm @AZ18yote you guys really easing my mind a bit haha

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
You may try out some of those cellphone app decibel readers, though we would allow a 1-2 decibel buffer to be safe because chances are they're going to read differently than the tech official's meter at the track.

Worst case, you can always run some Laguna pipes. :giggle:

678621130752_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=85a577&_nc_ohc=yTOTVJhabjUAX8B_4rg&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

OP
OP
hson10

hson10

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Hans
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You may try out some of those cellphone app decibel readers, though we would allow a 1-2 decibel buffer to be safe because chances are they're going to read differently than the tech official's meter at the track.

Worst case, you can always run some Laguna pipes. :giggle:

678621130752_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=85a577&_nc_ohc=yTOTVJhabjUAX8B_4rg&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg
Yeah, definitely thought about running some Laguna pipes! But I think I should be okay as long as I don't blow past the sound booth.. not sure how strict they are up at Thunder Hill

Sponsored
OP
OP
hson10

hson10

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Hans
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
If you’re referring to the 3 or 5 mile events, the mic is right after turn 15 (very beginning of the main straight). Stay in a taller gear coming out of that turn and you should be fine. I’ve been black flagged for 104db. I’ll be there on 9/5 myself.

OP
OP
hson10

hson10

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Hans
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re referring to the 3 or 5 mile events, the mic is right after turn 15 (very beginning of the main straight). Stay in a taller gear coming out of that turn and you should be fine. I’ve been black flagged for 104db. I’ll be there on 9/5 myself.
Do you happen to know where the sound booth is for the CCW config? (2mi course) - hoping it's just in one same area as the 3/5 mi course

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
The best thing to do would be to try to get some quieter mufflers or maybe weld in a resonator before you go. It would be terrible to go all the way up there and you waste your time being pulled for db readings

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Do you happen to know where the sound booth is for the CCW config? (2mi course) - hoping it's just in one same area as the 3/5 mi course
i actually don’t as I’ve never run the 2 mile course except for when they run the 5 mile day and I don’t think they use that one for it. Logic would expect it to be in the short main straight after the hairpin as that’s where you would be doing the most acceleration. You should be able to see the location of the mic when you stage in that paddock for the 2 mile day.
Sponsored