Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
  • Banned
Hey guys, just wondering for you guys who have catted headers, when you got the high flow catted headers over stock, did they make the car a lot louder? How much louder are catless headers from catted?

Is there a very big noticeable difference from one to the other? I would like to increase the sound of the engine, however I don't want to void my warranty with catless headers
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, just wondering for you guys who have catted headers, when you got the high flow catted headers over stock, did they make the car a lot louder? How much louder are catless headers from catted?

Is there a very big noticeable difference from one to the other? I would like to increase the sound of the engine, however I don't want to void my warranty with catless headers
Both are significantly louder. The high flow cats available for most headers don't go a lot for volume, but control rasp some.

If you don't want to have a warranty issue, don't do significant power mods. Buy a louder catback exhaust. The AWE Touring, Corsa Xtreme and Borla ATAK are all very loud.

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Yes catted is still a lot louder. Both sound great though.. Get an exhaust first to start off, should be plenty loud for the time being..

We ship to Canada, we can get you pricing on Borla, Kooks, AWE Tuning, Corsa, Stainless Works, etc..

-Josh

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP

ALL headers will void your warranty...

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
If you're in an emissions state, stay with a high flow catted setup, there won't be a significant difference power for you. In terms of sound, both will sound great with catless only being slightly louder. Hit me up and I can take care of you on any exhaust setup.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
There's only a few decibel difference between high-flow cats and no cats. You get high-flow cats to help pass emissions and clean up the smell a bit. Like said above, they don't last nearly as long as your stock cats.

OP
OP
Coyotes55086

Coyotes55086

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
  • Banned
In Canada we don't have emissions testing anymore. But I was told that catless headers with void my warranty. They did say that I could do headers though in that that wouldn't affect my warranty apparently. So I have to go high flow catted.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
In Canada we don't have emissions testing anymore. But I was told that catless headers with void my warranty. They did say that I could do headers though in that that wouldn't affect my warranty apparently. So I have to go high flow catted.
Headers won't void your warranty? Dang, Canada is the place to be for a car enthusiast then. You better get that in writing though. Something said verbally isn't worth a hill of beans.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't believe that for a second. Honestly, just get a loud catback and be done. Headers are expensive, total PITA to install and require a tune, even catted (which also puts your warranty into jeopardy)

OP
OP
Coyotes55086

Coyotes55086

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Maybe you guys are right. Maybe I should just forget about the headers right now

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
You want sound? Just do a cat back exhaust. Getting rid of a magna flow comp cat back BC its too loud. Don't take the cats off. Your exhaust will smell a lot worse than it does now and you'll choke in the garage. Spend an hour or so behind my 66 corvette and you'll see what I mean. You can smell catless car exhaust a few cars back.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Those high flow cats don't help you pass emissions one bit. The only thing they may help you with is a visual inspection. That's it. This is coming from someone who has both catted and catless lead pipes to my ARH headers.

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Those high flow cats don't help you pass emissions one bit. The only thing they may help you with is a visual inspection. That's it. This is coming from someone who has both catted and catless lead pipes to my ARH headers.
I have catless ARH now and I'm wanting to add cats. Mostly due to rasp/drone but also maybe a little bit of volume reduction. Was there a noticeable difference with the cats?

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
I have the AWE Touring catback and it is a head turner from my experience. I am not kidding when I say that on a daily basis I will see heads turn when I go by at anything above 3K rpm. If its just sound you want, all you need is a decent catback. @BmacIL is right in that LTH's don't give much versus what a PITA they are to install. The only way I will do headers is if I go supercharger and even then, the supercharger install will be easier than the header install, just takes longer (maybe).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have the AWE Touring catback and it is a head turner from my experience. I am not kidding when I say that on a daily basis I will see heads turn when I go by at anything above 3K rpm. If its just sound you want, all you need is a decent catback. @BmacIL is right in that LTH's don't give much versus what a PITA they are to install. The only way I will do headers is if I go supercharger and even then, the supercharger install will be easier than the header install, just takes longer (maybe).
I recently installed the AWE touring axleback with an X-pipe and it is definitely the loudest thing I've had (louder than Corsa Xtreme and Borla ATAK). The other day I swapped the X for the Borla resonator, which is a resonated H-pipe, and it's much calmer. I might try to do a regular H-pipe with bottles resonators like AWE has on their catback, essentially making a 2.5" version.
Sponsored