Sponsored

Guys, should I get the performance package?

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
No. Not even close. I checked this when I was deciding what to order.

18s < 20s < 19s, which surprised me a little. I was tempted on the 19" rims (non-PP) but decided to stick with the 18s. At the time I was driving 30k miles a year and it made a difference. I was NOT going to put a new $1200 set of tires on a six-month-old car.
4 Pirelli Zeros 235/50/18 cost $932 at Tirerack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...kipOver=true&minSpeedRating=W&minLoadRating=S

And the PP staggered set of 4 in 19" Pirelli zeros cost $908 at Tirerack

I know what I'm talking about...:headbang:

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I know what I'm talking about...:headbang:
You know one data point, I'll grant that. But those are not the tires on my car. Replacing my tires (P-Zero Neros) costs $608 at Tire Rack.

The fact that you don't want those tires is irrelevant.

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
they should last around 20k according to the treadle rating. of course that very mild driving

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Super sport fronts $265 30K http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...19&c=0&rf=true&dVeh=dVeh&sortBy=prca&fqs=true

Lots of other options also.

Super Sport Rears $305 30K http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...19&c=0&rf=true&dVeh=dVeh&sortBy=prca&fqs=true

I just dont see the big deal, folks want a performance car this is the price, try buying new tires for a 911.
My new tires for my aftermarket wheels are just a tick over $1500 with shipping and tax. The rears run me $800 a pair to replace:D

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I commute roughly 25k miles/year so I figure for the amount of years I'll likely have the car (5-6) I'll spend about 5k on tire replacements. It's a lot of money but even on my modest salary I can afford it.

Stang16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium PP
Why are 20" tires cheaper than 19"? Is it cause they are really low profile and use less material?

Kpod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Black
I've got 5200 miles on my gtpp and I couldn't tell they are worn unless I measured them. I don't baby it at all but 80% of the miles are highway cruising at 75.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I drove both a PP and non-PP 2015 Mustang before I placed my order. No comparison to me. After driving the PP car, I thought that non-PP felt pretty loose and sloppy. I ordered my car with the PP - and I love the suspension and brakes. Oil pressure and vacuum gauges were pretty cool too - although that wouldn't be the sole reason to get the PP... Good luck!

Reactions: 113

justindo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
I would definitely get the Performance Package, as it's a tremendous value and offers some nice upgrades, both functional and aesthetic.

The staggered wheels with summer tires (they aren't great, but they're better than the totally lousy all seasons; upgrade to some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer ASAP--$1500 tires for a $40,000 should not really be that much of a consideration), Brembos (they felt a little better than the standard GT brakes, but they also look great), Torsen rear axle, strut tower brace, and larger radiator, not to mention the sweet gauges and "engined turned aluminum" trim, really enhance the feel and looks of the car. I've driven both the Performance Package GT and the GT automatic with 3.55s and the 20" wheels and I definitely preferred the suspension on the Performance Package. (The standard GT suspension is too soft, in my opinion.) Even as a daily driver, one can appreciate the aesthetics, handling, and brake feel upgrades that come with the Performance Package. For $2,500, it's a no-brainer.

Sponsored

MattBassAce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Magnetic w/PP
I purchased a base gt with pp in Magnetic. The things that really sold me on it were the black 19" staggered wheels with wider rubber and the huge Brembo brakes up front that look amazing on this car. I was 100%set on Magnetic and the black gloss wheels make the car look like its in a whole different league. If you dont like the PP wheels than its probably not worth it for the average owner. The Magnetic with PP is the most aggressive look for the 15GTs imho. As for gas mileage im averaging 19mpg with mixed driving and plenty of 0-120 launches with highway miles as well. I can get 22on highway. The suspension setup is a perfect balance of sportiness and comfort imo. The car is so planted in turns it'll make you forget how heavy the car is. Either way you cant go wrong. Better to regret spendinf more $ on the upgrades than to regret not getting the PP and try to upgrade piece by piece.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
yep, i'm one of those who feel that the GTPP is the minimum you need for a mustang, then add premium pack and other options as you see fit.

MattBassAce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Magnetic w/PP
I would definitely get the Performance Package, as it's a tremendous value and offers some nice upgrades, both functional and aesthetic.

The staggered wheels with summer tires (they aren't great, but they're better than the totally lousy all seasons; upgrade to some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer ASAP--$1500 tires for a $40,000 should not really be that much of a consideration), Brembos (they felt a little better than the standard GT brakes, but they also look great), Torsen rear axle, strut tower brace, and larger radiator, not to mention the sweet gauges and "engined turned aluminum" trim, really enhance the feel and looks of the car. I've driven both the Performance Package GT and the GT automatic with 3.55s and the 20" wheels and I definitely preferred the suspension on the Performance Package. (The standard GT suspension is too soft, in my opinion.) Even as a daily driver, one can appreciate the aesthetics, handling, and brake feel upgrades that come with the Performance Package. For $2,500, it's a no-brainer.
I have the base PP and dont have the aluminum dash trim. Mine came with thr faux carbon fiber plastic. Was it a seperate option?

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
you should have the "engine turned" dash

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Unless the P Zero tires are directional and I don't think they are, you CAN rotate them (left to right and vice versa).

I will just give my impression of having a PP car. It is not my DD. I drive it to work once a week when the weather is nice and in the weekends here and there.

I've driven a car with coilovers and this car isn't that bad. A friend rode in mine and said the GT3 he rode in was much rougher. It has a performance suspension and either you like it or you don't. I've always modified my cars to handle better so I like it. I took a 700 mile trip in it and the ride was a non issue to me. I was more worried about having no spare tire. THAT is one caveat. I bought a high quality plug kit and a jack. Most of the time I just drive around town anyway.

The standard GTs I test drove just didn't do it for me. The 3.73 gear is like crack. Love the acceleration. I would have ended up doing a lot of mods to get my car to the level of a PP. Or maybe I would not! Who upgrades brakes and the radiator before doing some engine mods? Lol, you know who you are. Many people start a project and never carry it out to completion. For me, the PP car made sense. It a package that is well setup out of the box. I can just do some engine mods, maybe an x pipe and some dress up items and it will be exactly how I wanted it. Already did the whole lowered car thing. It's ok if you like bird dogging curbs, steep driveways and speed bumps.

For someone who wants complete control over mods and has the money to follow through with them, buy a nice GT (or Ecoboost) and mod it the way you want. That is perfectly legit (and fun). There is no "correct" decision. Do what you want.

In city driving I get 16 mpg. Mixed driving around 18. Hwy only up to 23 mpg.
Sponsored