Sponsored

Guys, should I get the performance package?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I went through the same anguish. Plus the anguish of automatic versus manual.

With the PP I suppose you could try to trade half the PP wheels with someone else that also wants to go square. But one of you ends up with wider tires, and the speedo/odo will be off.

If you skip the PP option, you may find yourself going DIY for most of the same upgrades. Ultimately you could spend more than double the cost.

BUT...

You get any wheels you want - appearance, size, weight
You get any tires you want - summer, all season, brand
You can go square on them for rotating
Your spare will fit at all corners (but beware of stagger issues on the LSD diff)
You will have two sets of wheels. You can replace the OEM tires with winter tires if you want.

My first upgrade will be new wheel/tires. Still deciding what I want. Those alone are about the same price as the PP option. THEN the other mods begin, and they cost that much again.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So I've made my decision. I'm going with the performance package.
I had a really nice local member show me his. I was on the fence about the factory black wheels but after seeing some photos of it with the race red, I am going with that. I have an appointment at 7 PM tomorrow to put an order for a '16 with the nice sales girl at the local Ford dealership.

I made the decision based on the fact that
1. I actually like the 3.73 gears around town, to get up to speed and have more low end. I figure the ability to drive in a higher gear and have less effort to get up to speed is really nice.
2. The MPG penalty on the highway is something I have decided to live with. My daily driver is a Corolla XRS (not as economical as the regular Corolla since it has a high-revving Celica GT-S engine instead of a Corolla engine) which gets mid 20's around town and low 30's on the highway. The Mustang will not be my daily driver. I can handle the reduction in MPG's.
3. I gotta admit, the different aluminum dash on the PP with the central gauges is straight up beautiful.

The PP is a 3,700 option in Canada so not AS good of a deal but our dollar is doing terribly as of late so, whatever.

Reactions: 113

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
So I've made my decision. I'm going with the performance package.
I had a really nice local member show me his. I was on the fence about the factory black wheels but after seeing some photos of it with the race red, I am going with that. I have an appointment at 7 PM tomorrow to put an order for a '16 with the nice sales girl at the local Ford dealership.

I made the decision based on the fact that
1. I actually like the 3.73 gears around town, to get up to speed and have more low end. I figure the ability to drive in a higher gear and have less effort to get up to speed is really nice.
2. The MPG penalty on the highway is something I have decided to live with. My daily driver is a Corolla XRS (not as economical as the regular Corolla since it has a high-revving Celica GT-S engine instead of a Corolla engine) which gets mid 20's around town and low 30's on the highway. The Mustang will not be my daily driver. I can handle the reduction in MPG's.
3. I gotta admit, the different aluminum dash on the PP with the central gauges is straight up beautiful.

The PP is a 3,700 option in Canada so not AS good of a deal but our dollar is doing terribly as of late so, whatever.
Great choice. You will be a happy camper when it arrives. Mine is 8.5 months old and I am still on the honeymoon with it. Just a fantastic car.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
But it's too harsh!!! Waaaahhhhhh

The best is all the non PP putting brembo stickers on their brakes.
you forgot shifting with 3.73 too :headbonk:

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Are the rears Brembo too?
Also, black or that new nickel color wheel for '16 for the wheels on a race red PP?
I'm leaning black right now.

Sponsored

SubZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 401A
Also, black or that new nickel color wheel for '16 for the wheels on a race red PP?
When I was first looking at the new mustangs I liked the black wheels quite a bit and then came online and everyone seemed to say they were ugly but on this forum people seem to like them and most of the people going aftermarket put black wheels on anyway. I think for most colors the black looks better. It also depends on the wheel. The silver 20" wheels look great to me on any color, but I just don't like the nickel PP wheels.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I'm sure you'll love your car with PP. I didn't like the black wheels so I sold them. Bought Forgestar brushed titanium wheels, sold the OE black wheels but kept the Pirrelli tires. Love the look. The one thing many of us don't like is the quiet exhaust on the GT. I have the Ford Racing Touring exhaust and am pretty happy with it. Lots of compliments on the sound. Good luck with your order - now the toughest part - the wait!

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion here:

If you are like me, and this is the first Mustang you've ever really wanted because of how different it is from prior generations (IRS and the handling that comes with it, vastly improved interior, and modern, truly sports car styling), I'd suggest the performance pack. It is the only regret I have. I was fortunate to have some extended time in a PP GT after owning mine for about a month, and it was an eye opening experience. It's a different car. That's how much sharper, controlled and grippier it is. To my amazement, the overall ride quality is better than the non PP. You feel more of the road, but bumps are much better controlled and don't upset the car as much.

I use mine as a DD. I did not buy the car looking for or expecting good fuel economy, but didnt want a literal gas guzzler either. I've been very surprised at how good the fuel economy is with the manual and 3.31 gears (can hit 28+ regularly on the highway at 75 mph). The performance pack certainly would drop that about 2 mpg or so, but to me it would be worth it. Test drive both and see if it's worth it to you. Out of the box, the PP car is a very competent handling car for autocross or road course driving, or even just for back road corner carving. The non PP car is only decent for the back roads and I was very underwhelmed with its stock performance in autocross. If any of that is important to you, get the PP.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
The rears are not brembo and I can see why. When I'm approaching a stop now in the gt I brake way late because the front brembo's are that great and reliable..I always wanted to gunmetal powercoat my pp wheels.. Silver pp wheels look too chryslerish ;)
Sponsored