Sponsored

Guys, should I get the performance package?

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I never thought I could afford a fun car but life can be surprising sometimes when it comes to coming into sudden money.

My DD is an 05 Corolla 6-speed manual. No torque, lots of shifting, actually a fun little car (don't laugh ;) )

This will be a fun (not daily driver) car that will be in a city that sees a lot of rain and has some hills. Won't be relying on it in the rain but may have to drive it in the rain or want the option to in case I'd like to take it out. Will mostly be used on highways and for road trips and whatnot.

What's this car like to live with?
How's the low-end torque compared to the stock 3.31 gears? That stoplight to stoplight torque?
Does it spin too high at highway speeds and hinder city MPG compared to the 3.31 6-speed? A lot worse city and highway mileage?

I like the idea of a sportier suspension for winding road drives, but also want something that's not impossible to live with, too. I'm not planning to do any track driving.

My alternative choice would be a GT 6-speed with the stock 3.31s and 20" wheels. I know these cars aren't economy cars, but on a road trip it would be nice to get decent highway mpg and have it not rev too high when in 6th gear and cruising along. At the same time I want something that's gonna be able to have fun on winding roads and really get up and gallop at stoplights.

Plus I'll admit that I love the PP aluminum trim and gauges.
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Go to the stealership and then go to other stealerships and drive everything you can before making your decision.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Test drive both or all three if you find one with 3.55 gears. The GTPP 3.73 gears are a bit of work but some skip gears for better fuel economy in the GTPP manual. It handles better and is a bit more ideal for track use but other than that its up too you. The upgraded brakes have a good firm bit to them and are fairly touchy at first, but the standard brakes work just fine for daily and perhaps light track use. I was sold on the performance pack as a whole. Black rims, brembo brakes, upgraded radiator, center dash gauges, 3.73 gears for GT, chassis improvement's, strut bar, upper k brace. Truth be told I won't be on a track for some time but I plan on keeping it for the long run. So is 2500 worth it too you? You might just end up going aftermarket for some other parts and finance a premium GT instead. After I test drove both it was night and day between the two, standard and performance pack.

Reactions: 113

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Yes on the PP, well worth the money.

Sponsored

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
I have the 3.31 gears and 20' wheels. I am happy. The car still has gobs of torque and flat out flies. The 20's are my favorite wheel design and I like the fact I can rotate the tires normally. Some people may not realize that the PP cars have 2 different size tires on them and will thus go through tires quicker.

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Yes. You will regret it if you do not.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
the Torsen diff is $900 + expensive install, brakes are $1800 seperately. PP is $2500

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
PP in Canada is $3700. Probably still worth it for the amount of stuff you get with it, including the Torsen LSD (instead of the Traction-Lok LSDs), Brembos, additional braces etc. Now is also a good time to get a Mustang, it seems, with employee pricing discounts.

Sponsored

venomisback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
There are other mustangs available without the PP?? PP was the only option in my eyes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bigb996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 89 wrangler Sahara
I don't regret upgrading to the pp but I used it for occasional track time and mountain rides. The best I've seen gas mileage wise is 20 and that's majority hwy not getting on it so don't expect it to be a great hwy car

StangMan04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
If you plan to use the parts that come with the PP, get it. Most people get the PP but don't even track their car, except maybe the drag strip which isn't what the parts were intended for. If you just DD your car, it probably isn't worth it. IMO the brakes and 3.73s are the only good part about the package, the rest I would go aftermarket first.

Budnr22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Oxford - Tech Pack
All personal preference. Drive them and pick the one you like best. I have PP and will probably never take it to the track or push it hard enough to justify the PP. However, those brakes look cool, the wheels are awesome, the gauges make the interior like a race car, the strut tower brace makes the engine bay perfect, the radiator makes me feel better on a real hot day, and the 3:73 make first gear basically optional. It is all in what you like and plan on doing. Either way, you are going to have a blast every time you push that button.
Sponsored