Sponsored

Guys, how important is the “Shelby” name to the enjoyment of your car?

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I feel in love with the GT350 when one blasted past me on the Staten Island expressway in 2016. It looked great from every angle and sounded fantastic. I would not have cared if it was that year's version of the 5.0 or if was called a "Shelby," it just checked every box I had for a car to enjoy: looked great, sounded great, was able to handle a little track work without a zillion modifications, and it had a manual trans. I have heard more than a few times, "now that's what a Mustang should look like," or something very close to that.

I found out after some research that everything forward of the A pillar was unique to this car and that there was more to the Shelby name than just some Mustangs that could do great quarter mile times.

Now, for me, the Shelby name and associated stories, have been great at car shows, cars n coffees, and just on the street. I get a kick out of telling the story around Terlingua, the 5.2 liter FPC engine, and then to some of the original Shelbys from the 60s.

So I hope this goes to the OP's question, the nameplate didn't attract me but it has certainly added to the enjoyment of the GT350 I drive every day.
Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Well, I thought it was an interesting question. Let's do a bit of a mind experiment. Let's imagine that Ford offered the car we know as a GT350 in two versions - one called GT350 with Shelby's name and one called Mustang Super GT without Shelby's name. Only difference in construction is the badging. How big a difference would there be in price for the new ones, and more importantly, how big a price difference in the used market? I suspect the difference wouldn't be "zero".
I tend to agree with you, buy why? Back to the op's question; clearly there's something in a name. At this point maybe it's just great marketing. It might not add to the driving experience, but there seems to be some level of intrinsic value in the legacy.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Well, I thought it was an interesting question. Let's do a bit of a mind experiment. Let's imagine that Ford offered the car we know as a GT350 in two versions - one called GT350 with Shelby's name and one called Mustang Super GT without Shelby's name. Only difference in construction is the badging. How big a difference would there be in price for the new ones, and more importantly, how big a price difference in the used market? I suspect the difference wouldn't be "zero".
I’d guess the market itself would take care of the price difference and you’re right, it wouldn’t be zero by a long shot. Look at what used 2016-2022 Shelbys are still doing in the marketplace today!

I tend to agree with you, buy why? Back to the op's question; clearly there's something in a name. At this point maybe it's just great marketing. It might not add to the driving experience, but there seems to be some level of intrinsic value in the legacy.
You‘re on to it here. Definitely there’s intrinsic value in the legacy but clearly there’s an enhanced driving experience as well.

Sixtus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sixto
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2016 GT Convertible, 2015 Ecoboost PP
I bought my GT500 cause my balls feel funny when I shift a DCT with tons of power from a sonorous powerhouse and making both of my heads explode from the brutality of it all. I have always dreamed of a DCT in a mustang and it came true so had to get it. If Shelby America found a way to swap in a dct into their GTs they mod to create their supersnakes I might have gotten that and honestly being the real shelby, they should have but ford performance beat them on that.
I put the value of my car on how it makes me feel and how it drives regardless if it’s a Shelby or not. To me it’s a super muscle car that competes with super cars. It’s an affordable peak mustang cough* GTD cough*

And what about the GTD name, will it reduce the GT500 name?

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
"Approval" is the word. Neither Mr. Shelby nor anyone working for him did any engineering or manufacturing for that car. He simply gave Ford permission to use his name again.
The S197 GT500 was designed and built by Ford SVT, same as the GT350 after it.
You can also look at the 06/07 SHELBY GT as well as the Super Snakes and their carious variations that were done in house by Shelby and the Las Vegas crew, just like what was done in Venice way back in the day

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
And what about the GTD name, will it reduce the GT500 name?
I would say probably not. Two totally different cars. GTD is basically the GT3 race car in street form. It’s more along the lines of the Ford GT. Different from that car too but same application process to get one, limited number being built, street version of a race car, etc.

The GT500 is obviously a very capable car, but I don’t think it will get compared to the GTD. Could be wrong though.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I would love to know how much value do you think it adds having Shelby on it? if Ford produced two identical cars and the only difference was that one had "Shelby" on it how much more would you pay? And maybe more importantly would you fork over the extra cash for the cool factor of a name?
The closet comparison is a Stage 3 Roush and a Shelby. The Roush is classified as a modified GT and the Shelby is a specified trim level. Roush values reflect that. So yes the 'Shelby' name holds more value and clearly people are buying.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
The closet comparison is a Stage 3 Roush and a Shelby. The Roush is classified as a modified GT and the Shelby is a specified trim level. Roush values reflect that. So yes the 'Shelby' name holds more value and clearly people are buying.
But that's not the question. The question was if Ford produced two identical cars and 1 said Shelby and other didn't how much more would you pay for the pleasure of seeing Shelby on one? Would you pay $5000 more than an identical car knowing the only difference was the name Shelby? Or would it be less? My guess is it would be way less, but what that true amount is only Ford's marketing team really knows.

Ford knows they didn't have to add "Shelby" to either the GT350 or GT500. The name didn't change anything on these fantastic vehicles except the markup they could command. From a manufacturing point of view it was simply a money grab.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Interesting take.

To that end, there are weirdos like me out there that like sleepers and wish that you could option Mustangs like you could back in the '60s. Any plain wrapper car could have been spec'd with the same drivetrain as the GT500s at the time.

My ultimate daydream factory-built S550 scenario would have been a option/package on a GT consisting of essentially the PP1-level items, with the GT500 engine and DCT (or A10?). Maybe a different/unique hood with better heat extraction than the stock GT and 5.2 badges would be all that would give it away on the street, and less track-centric cooling to pare a little weight and cost. Priced smack in the middle between a regular GT and the GT500.

Sponsored

Revan9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruan
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Maybe not a direct comparison, but look at the Jordan example. The shoes with his name/logo on them don’t perform any better than a regular Nike shoe yet they get a premium because it’s Michael Jordan’s name/logo. So names (and marketing around said names) do matter, at least to a good chunk of people otherwise they wouldn’t be able to get the pricing they do.

It’s probably a little more difficult to do with Shelby vs non-Shelby because the Shelby’s do come better equipped for performance than a standard Mustang. I think your closest comp might be the Mach 1 HP vs the GT350, but even then, the GT350 has certain parts that are unique/special to that car that adds to the overall performance vs the Mach. Both are great cars in their own right, but also different.

But like anything, I’m sure there’s a segment that will pay extra just because of the Shelby name/badging no matter the difference in performance. It becomes more of a prestige thing. I’m sure others will have different opinions but that’s my take.
Air Jordans from design to technology were often a cut above mainline Nike basketball products. The Jordan Brand line outside of Air Jordans were more typical of their Nike counterparts.

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Bringing the GTD into this conversation is just silly…I’m sorry, but it is. Does the Porsche GT3 RS make a base 911 irrelevant? What about non-RS GT3? Or a Cayman GT4? Don’t forget about the GT2 RS after all either…Theres a better Porsche out there though, right?

You can’t compare these things, they are radically different machines at insanely different price points (like multiple hundreds of thousands more)…this conversation goes completely off the rails if we start bringing the GTD into it…seemingly magnificent machine, completely different class, no more needs to be said there.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Actually, that’s not correct. The money grab reference. The only way Ford was actually able to produce the Gt350 and the 500, at the price points they were sold at was due to how many regular mustangs were produced and sold. It was also one of the negatives. The 350 and 500’s were aimed at cars several times there msrp‘s. Those cars were produced in many cases as hand built, the motors for sure. The 350 utilized Ford’s normal supply chain for what was in essence a hand built motor. The 350’s and 500’s for Ford as a manufacturer were not profitable in the sense from a financial standpoint, but they were very profitable for elevating the brand. It’s not to say that Ford lost money, but these cars helped drive sales for other models. You could see evidence of that with how many dealers would gladly sit on the cars as a way to draw buyers in the door.
The Shelby name was just a cherry on the top in my opinion.

But that's not the question. The question was if Ford produced two identical cars and 1 said Shelby and other didn't how much more would you pay for the pleasure of seeing Shelby on one? Would you pay $5000 more than an identical car knowing the only difference was the name Shelby? Or would it be less? My guess is it would be way less, but what that true amount is only Ford's marketing team really knows.

Ford knows they didn't have to add "Shelby" to either the GT350 or GT500. The name didn't change anything on these fantastic vehicles except the markup they could command. From a manufacturing point of view it was simply a money grab.