GT500 Brake Swapping The R

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm really shocked theres no CCB option on a $100k Mustang tbh. Seems like a miss.
Seems like it. Wonder why they made that decision. Two guys I know with z28s complained about replacement costs. Slightly different story here but...
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Seems like it. Wonder why they made that decision. Two guys I know with z28s complained about replacement costs. Slightly different story here but...
Simple, carbon ceramic for track use and steel/OEM for street use. I agree, it would have been nice to have that option from the factory.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Ford probably considered it, but it may have been hard to get a supplier for them. CCRs would probably cut rotor weight at least 20 pounds per corner. That’s lots of rotating mass gone, quicker steering and way less inertia. If it was offered I’m sure some people would get it. But if you think about it, then you have to train Ford techs to service them, including how to tell when they are used up and to be very careful with them as you remove a wheel/tires not to chip them.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Simple, carbon ceramic for track use and steel/OEM for street use. I agree, it would have been nice to have that option from the factory.
If you could set aside cost and replacement expense, carbon brakes do have a place on the street as well.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I'm really shocked theres no CCB option on a $100k Mustang tbh. Seems like a miss.
2021 MY. No proof just a feeling it’ll be an upgrade in the near future.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If you could set aside cost and replacement expense, carbon brakes do have a place on the street as well.
Yes, if your goal is weight at any cost. I plan to use weight reduction for track and oem config for street. The usual weight reduction parts/components go hand in hand with typical mods that people like to see at cars and coffee and such. I dont do cars and coffee or shows, my interest in weight reduction is strictly for track performance.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Some might argue they are better on the street than the track. Obviously the weight loss matters more for the track, but based on Porsche experience, CCBs can really be nearly a "lifetime" part when only used for street driving, so the investment up-front is worth it. The lack of corrosion and other time-related wear is really nice for cars that are infrequently driven, as well. Lots of Porsche Turbo and GT3 owners whose cars came with CCBs swap to iron discs for track use, where the extra weight is a penalty but is offset by the far lower replacement cost. CCBs will wear out on track and the running costs get extremely high very quickly.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
... it may have been hard to get a supplier for them ...
The GT350 brakes are part of an OEM product line from Brembo that is basically a one stop shop for CCB's and iron rotors that are physically interchangeable. Rotors and pads are for the early ZR1 CCB's, the ACR-X CCB's and the GT350 iron brakes are very similar - close enough that some actually interchange. Don't be surprised if there's a direct-fit CCB replacement for the 2020 GT500 brakes that's in use on another product at this time.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The GT350 brakes are part of an OEM product line from Brembo that is basically a one stop shop for CCB's and iron rotors that are physically interchangeable. Rotors and pads are for the early ZR1 CCB's, the ACR-X CCB's and the GT350 iron brakes are very similar - close enough that some actually interchange. Don't be surprised if there's a direct-fit CCB replacement for the 2020 GT500 brakes that's in use on another product at this time.
Brembo couldn't get it done rotor-wise, hence the choice to use the better performing SHW rotor.

And I'd be shocked if there was a direct replacement CC rotor already being manufactured that matched the diameter, thickness, hat offset, and bolt circle for the GT500. It'd be nice if a Ford GT part fit but the price would still be fairly stupid.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The Brembo architecture spans multiple OEM applications, even if all the parts aren't Brembo. Rotor and caliper offsets, mounting styles and the exact pad shapes and materials are all up to the OEM, but the basic framework is all Brembo. The benefit for the OEM is that they can get all the science and engineering about longevity and capacity from Brembo without having to do the engineering themselves.

On the question of "is there a rotor like this out there already?", the Audi RS7 takes a 420x40 CCB front rotor and a 370x30 rear CCB rotor. Do the sizes sound familiar? CCB's are inherently modular - a friction ring and a hat bolted together. So, a pair of GT500-specific hats and new pads are all that's needed for a direct swap for the OEM GT500 rotors.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There's more to the story that I'm not at liberty to speak to but in this case Brembo was not as "forthcoming" about some of the data as Ford would have liked. They'd have preferred to have kept the entire brake module from one supplier, Brembo. Thankfully, SHW proved to be a viable alternative.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing it can't be done as it is indeed a modular setup. But an off the shelf, complete rotor, currently? I don't believe there is one.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There's more to the story that I'm not at liberty to speak to but in this case Brembo was not as "forthcoming" about some of the data as Ford would have liked. They'd have preferred to have kept the entire brake module from one supplier, Brembo. Thankfully, SHW proved to be a viable alternative.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing it can't be done as it is indeed a modular setup. But an off the shelf, complete rotor, currently? I don't believe there is one.
I assumed you knew more than you were saying, and I don't expect a reply on what I'm about to say (which is all idle speculation).

I think Ford went with Brembo's CCB architecture on the GT350 because of its high thermal capacity, and then switched to iron rotors from SHW because of cost. I still remember a very early reveal of a GT350 on a car show stage (2014 maybe?) that had CCB rotors.

The thing is, the brake system architecture choice worked out really well - the GT350 factory brakes are by far the most trackworthy factory brakes out there. They just work. So, when they got to the GT500, which is heavier and faster, they stayed with the same brake architecture and rotor strategy. But this time, they chose front and rear rotor sizes that are already available in the global supply chain as CCB's. The door's open to swapping front and rear if a customer wants to - all they need is a set of custom hats. This could be a great new product opportunity for a company that specializes in precision machined brake products ;-)

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Maybe Racing Brake will come out with something like that.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Imagine what kind of handling and acceleration the R model would have had with CCB and carbon fiber wheels !!!

I'd be interested in updating to CCB on my R if they made it available at a reasonable price point.
Sponsored