Sponsored

GT350R VS ZL1 1LE On Track

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Stop believing what you read on the internet. The GT350R has never been to the nurburgring.

And Randy's test shows MT has flawwed methods when a slower ZL1 turned a faster time around Big Willow than a GT350R.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
LOL they are joking about the Ford GT video where the GT had a novice driver and the ZL1 was able to keep up with it. Per C6G the non-1LE ZL1 was faster than the Ford GT.
Novice driver or someone who didn't want to wad up $500k.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Novice driver or someone who didn't want to wad up $500k.
Might be a bit a both I think it was the first time they had the GT on the track if I remember correctly. Though it didn’t stop people from saying what they did :giggle:

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Stop believing what you read on the internet. The GT350R has never been to the nurburgring.

And Randy's test shows MT has flawwed methods when a slower ZL1 turned a faster time around Big Willow than a GT350R.
Not sure if this counts or not.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just droping this here

http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

ZL1 1LE Time: 7:16:00
ZL1 Time: 7:29:06
GT350R Time: 7:32:19

As i said earlier the ZL1 1LE is completely in a different league!
The 7:32 time isn't a real time, but if it was a real time, it's super close to the ZL1 with what, 125 more hp? The cars are close in road course performance. That is less than a 4% difference between the ZL1 1LE and the GT350R. It's funny that the ZL1 1LE has more power, but the long straights of the 'ring favor the R over it. The aero on the ZL1 1LE isn't very efficient and it limits the top speed of the car.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The 7:32 time isn't a real time, but if it was a real time, it's super close to the ZL1 with what, 125 more hp? The cars are close in road course performance. That is less than a 4% difference between the ZL1 1LE and the GT350R. It's funny that the ZL1 1LE has more power, but the long straights of the 'ring favor the R over it. The aero on the ZL1 1LE isn't very efficient and it limits the top speed of the car.
You can’t look at that 4% when comparing these two cars! If thats the case then Jesus the ZL1 1LE is performing as well as a 918 spider or Viper ACR Extreme! It doesn’t work that way. 16 seconds is a huge difference on a 15 mile (12.9 if its the shorter side) track.

Yes the aero and downforce hurts the 1LE. The gearing is different too if i remember right but the car is planted and it does what it’s intended to. If the GT350R was force fed things would have been different but again Ford would have increased the aero on it to give more control over the course. Can’t wait to see what the GT500 can do.

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
You guys are killing me.... "it isn't a real time", "R&T doesn't know how to test", "it's only 4%"... :crazy:

You sound like a bunch of 5th grader fanboys. The ZL1 is the civilized street version, and it's still faster than the GT350R. The ZL1 1LE will flat out spank the GT350R around a track.

Why can't you just deal with it, instead of coming up with childish excuses?

The GT350/R are fantastic cars, but the Camaro just has the better chassis at this point, and more power, and the result is that it's faster on track. I hope Ford hits a home run with the GT500... Competition is good for everyone, because it keeps pushing the state of the art, and gives us unbelievably fast cars to buy.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The car by itself just sits there, it doesn't spank anything.

On the road course I've passed many cars that are supposedly faster than mine. If the cars are close in capability it will come down to drivers. I've driven next to some Mustang PPs in my GT350 and they were close to the same as my GT350 - until we got to a tighter section of track and they fell behind. If they had better tires, a tune, even just a significantly better driver (I'm a novice) they probably would have walked away from me and their lap times would have been a few seconds faster than mine per lap. As it was, my lap times were several seconds faster.

Some people have no common sense and don't understand the real world. There was a ZL1 1LE at the track the last time I was there. He passed me once because I was held up by traffic and I was taking it somewhat easy. That was the only time all day he caught me. I did push harder in the later sessions. I'm not saying my regular GT350 is close to a ZL1 1LE in speed, but it wasn't fast enough to catch up to me a second time.

To be abundantly clear: when I say the cars are close I'm saying if you are in a GT350R and there is a ZL1 1LE on the track as well, you won't know whether you will be faster or not until you actually make some laps.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I live in magazine world.
Black and white magazines..

The sad thing is, the magazines usually do give you the greys, but the fanboys just read one number and they think that's the end of the story.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Black and white magazines..

The sad thing is, the magazines usually do give you the greys, but the fanboys just read one number and they think that's the end of the story.
Hopefully we can meet up at a track day next year :like:

Only S550 I've run with in the same group waved me by immediately, then spun out a few laps later. Of course, I also got smoked through the back section of DCTC by a little S2k..

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Hopefully we can meet up at a track day next year :like:

Only S550 I've run with in the same group waved me by immediately, then spun out a few laps later. Of course, I also got smoked through the back section of DCTC by a little S2k..

I feel like I would have more fun in a less powerful car on track like an S2k or Miata than a numbers car like a top tier mustang or camaro since I would be able to get it closer to 10/10ths before fear of wrecking comes to play. Of course at the same time I would absolutely no trouble waving by a faster driver regardless of what make/model they are driving.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I've become tired of repeating this, seems like people live in video games or something.
There is no one denying that an A driver can be faster than a B driver even though his car have lower specs than the other or not even meant for serious track duty. In real world the Driver takes the cake. It makes you feel amazing passing those expensive or better on the paper cars. Nobody is denying this. Its a win.

However, if we are comparing performance and capabilities of two cars, putting the A and B drivers back into the equation is utterly stupid and what is more stupid is adding feelings or everyday drivability into the equation. This has nothing to do with feelings or daily drivability but track performance with the same person trying to put down better lap times consistently with both cars. Otherwise how can you distinguish the capabilities of two different vehicles? I mean if people still don’t get it , then I am out of words! I feel like talking to little kids here!

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
There is no one denying that an A driver can be faster than a B driver even though his car have lower specs than the other or not even meant for serious track duty. In real world the Driver takes the cake. It makes you feel amazing passing those expensive or better on the paper cars. Nobody is denying this. Its a win.

However, if we are comparing performance and capabilities of two cars, putting the A and B drivers back into the equation is utterly stupid and what is more stupid is adding feelings or everyday drivability into the equation. This has nothing to do with feelings or daily drivability but track performance with the same person trying to put down better lap times consistently with both cars. Otherwise how can you distinguish the capabilities of two different vehicles? I mean if people still don’t get it , then I am out of words! I feel like talking to little kids here!

It seems like what people(like you) don't get is that it doesn't matter what a professional driver can do in your kind of car when you show up to a race track.
Sponsored