Sponsored

Gt350 Shift Knob retrofit

northstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT MT Carbon Gray 401A / Past: 15 V6 MT Guard
The lockout does hang up some, but drops well enough for me. And like you said, with wear, I'm not worried. Besides I don't shift from R to 1st quickly enough to cause concern.

I really like this knob's feel so I hope there is a quick solution..
Sponsored

Travler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT PP
I agree, I really like the look and the feel of it. I hope to hear back soon.

bill@cjpp

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
All the Mustangs
Guys send an email to [email protected] so he can look up your accounts and we can figure out what the issue is with these knobs and get you taken care of. We have sold a lot of these knobs and this is the first I have heard of an issue so we want to figure it out.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
I thought most guys that did this retrofit early on found that if you remove the black plastic in the underside of the knob it allows more turns to be taken and the reverse lockout operates more smoothly. Don't quite me on that but I feel that's what I read.

Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
I tapped the threads all the way. When I put the knob on it sat just like the other picture with a gap between the reverse lockout. That gap would drive me crazy everyday, so there had to be a fix. I ended up pulling out the black rubber piece on the bottom side and the metal ring. After that it fits and works just like the original.

I would post more pictures but they keep loading sideways?
Here is a picture of what the bottom looks like now on the inside.
Here you go I knew I wasn't crazy.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I thought most guys that did this retrofit early on found that if you remove the black plastic in the underside of the knob it allows more turns to be taken and the reverse lockout operates more smoothly. Don't quite me on that but I feel that's what I read.
Correct.

bill@cjpp

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
All the Mustangs
Taking out the plastic trim will allow you to thread down farther but in many cases it is too low for the reverse lockout to function. It didn't allow the lockout to move any smoother in my case either.

Travler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT PP
Bill do you suggest just backing off the knob a few turns until reverse lockout can function?

cameleon1267

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT premium
Bill do you suggest just backing off the knob a few turns until reverse lockout can function?
I'm curious with that too. I jsut tried to install mine after looking at the video. If I thread it all the way to the bottom (I removed the metal ring as shown in the cj ponyvideo) then back off to align the pattern the reverse collar does not work and I had to back it out quite a lot to get the reverse to engage to the point where the shift knob is rotating freely. Now waiting for the blue threadlock to harden and I'll see if it is sturdy enough

Sponsored

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A
Sounds like they are threading the knobs too deep when they tap them

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like they are threading the knobs too deep when they tap them
That's what she said...
Sorry I'm an idiot and couldn't resist [emoji16]

northstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT MT Carbon Gray 401A / Past: 15 V6 MT Guard
From my post 161
Threads fit great out of the box, clears reverse lockout diameter after taking out inner ring, but threading it all the way down only allows the lockout to move up a very small amount - not even on the edge of getting to reverse.

So I can back the knob up a ways to get into reverse, but then less than half the threads are engaged and the whole knob isn't very secure (not like the OEM one).

All other parts are factory.
Some photos of my experience - OEM and GT350 knob all the way down that prevents reverse lockout from lifting all the way up.

I got out my caliper and measured the full depth of the threads to the outer exterior edge diameter (where the reverse lockout hits).

OEM knob: ~34mm
GT350 knob: ~41 mm

So that's why the GT350 knob sits lower on mine.

I appreciate your quick responses CJ. I'll get in touch.
rsz_img_1128.jpg
rsz_img_1129.jpg

bill@cjpp

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
All the Mustangs
Most aftermarket knobs will thread down too far and the reverse lockout will not work properly. That is why they use loctite. Put the car in reverse and thread the knob down and then back it out and double check reverse works properly. Let the loctite harden and you will be fine, Ford has used this many times with factory knobs. This knob was not designed to work on the GT/V6/EB cars, we simply made a modification many owners would not want to do on their own so the knob can be installed.
Sponsored