Gt350 Shift Knob retrofit

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost
Hello guys! I believe (I may be mistaken) that I am the first on the forum to retrofit the gt350 shift knob onto a mustang with the m82 transmission. After posting my picture in the forum's shift knob thread it arose many questions on how to do it. The process is actually a lot easier than it appears. If you like the look of the gt350 knob, but are nervous about trying to get it to fit into your mustang don't! The only thing you will need is a tap and die set with the measurement of 12 x 1.25 mm. Finding the right size tap in a store was the hardest thing about it! All you have to do is use the tap and die until it fits down into the shifter!:headbang:
It really is as simple as I'm making it out to be. I think it looks great in the car! The only complaint I have is that the knob sits up higher than the standard 8 ball we have, so there is a gap in between the reverse lockout and the shift knob itself. This is only a minor problem, but I will eventually try to fix, but to me it isn't that big of a deal. The knob itself is heavier than the stock 8 ball, and it fits better in the palm of my hand! Hopefully this helps some people who are on the fence about a new shift knob!

Pros: Heavier than stock, Better shape (in my opinion), good grip, out of the ordinary
Cons: having to retrofit, not fitting completely flush with reverse lock out

I now any aftermarket shift knob will give you originality, but seeing the gt350 shift knob in person I knew I had to have it in my car! There are plenty of great aftermarket solutions for shift knobs, but I have been extremely happy with my decision to get this knob!

Here are some pictures to show how the knob looks in our normal mustangs! It was my first ever write up, so I hope you guys can cut me some slack!;) Just trying to help out the guys who were asking questions!
image.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Murdered_s550

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost
Here you can see the gap that is formed after installing the shift knob. Still brainstorming a way to make it sit flush. This is really my only complaint, but doesn't bother me to much. Just OCD about it I guess. Everything still works just as normal!
image.jpg

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
I appreciate the pics man but it looks like I"ll be getting rid of mine. That gap will drive me insane.

OP
OP
Murdered_s550

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost
I appreciate the pics man but it looks like I"ll be getting rid of mine. That gap will drive me insane.
That's really my only complaint, but can be a complete turn off for some like yourself. I just wonder if there's a simple way to reduce the gap? I believe CJPP shift knobs require an adapter would this help the gap? I might be completely wrong though, I haven't looked into what that adapter does.

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Race Red
Awesome thanks for the write up man! Also, I believe you mentioned that the reverse lock out doesn't work with this knob?

Sponsored

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
That's really my only complaint, but can be a complete turn off for some like yourself. I just wonder if there's a simple way to reduce the gap? I believe CJPP shift knobs require an adapter would this help the gap? I might be completely wrong though, I haven't looked into what that adapter does.
I think you'd have to shorten the shift rod to make it work

OP
OP
Murdered_s550

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost
Awesome thanks for the write up man! Also, I believe you mentioned that the reverse lock out doesn't work with this knob?
Everything is fully functional! Lock out reverse does work! Sorry for the confusion!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Murdered_s550

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost

batz1917

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT Premium (401a) w/ PP
Any chance you can post some pictures from your view in the drivers seat?

Like you, I have been waiting patiently for an aftermarket version of the GT350 shift knob to fit my GT. I bet this would look awesome with a short throw shifter and the Jam Nut collar BBB mentioned.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Murdered_s550

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost
Any chance you can post some pictures from your view in the drivers seat?

Like you, I have been waiting patiently for an aftermarket version of the GT350 shift knob to fit my GT. I bet this would look awesome with a short throw shifter and the Jam Nut collar BBB mentioned.
Car is in the shop until Friday, so I am unable to take pictures today, but yes as soon as I can I will get the pictures out! Does the jam nut just cover the gap? I am unsure what that actually does but I assume that is what it does, is that correct?

batz1917

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT Premium (401a) w/ PP
Car is in the shop until Friday, so I am unable to take pictures today, but yes as soon as I can I will get the pictures out! Does the jam nut just cover the gap? I am unsure what that actually does but I assume that is what it does, is that correct?
The Jam Nut cover was made for '11-'14 year shift knobs to fit on the 15-16s to allow room for the reverse lockout. I noticed it had its own thread in it so it may take some experimenting to see if it successfully covers the gap. At first glance it appears that it should, but don't take my word for it. The real question I have is will the cover be wider than the bottom of the shift knob?

OP
OP
Murdered_s550

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost
The Jam Nut cover was made for '11-'14 year shift knobs to fit on the 15-16s to allow room for the reverse lockout. I noticed it had its own thread in it so it may take some experimenting to see if it successfully covers the gap. At first glance it appears that it should, but don't take my word for it. The real question I have is will the cover be wider than the bottom of the shift knob?
The thread pattern matches. I might just have to try it and see. Like you said at first glance it appears it would work :headbang:

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
With the shifter now sitting so much higher with the gap I would think that the throw is quite a bit longer. Did you notice a big difference?