Sponsored

Gt350 Shift Knob retrofit

cameleon1267

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT premium
Most aftermarket knobs will thread down too far and the reverse lockout will not work properly. That is why they use loctite. Put the car in reverse and thread the knob down and then back it out and double check reverse works properly. Let the loctite harden and you will be fine, Ford has used this many times with factory knobs. This knob was not designed to work on the GT/V6/EB cars, we simply made a modification many owners would not want to do on their own so the knob can be installed.
I let the blue loctite harden for 1 day. and today when I tried to wiggle it around the loctite gave up way to easily :(. I put back my oem knob and it's interesting how it is harder to thread in and it holds well without having to use anything.
I don't really want to use red loctite otherwise that knob will be there for ever. lol
Sponsored

wowstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang PP w/ Recaros
I was able to complete CJ's GT350 knob installation using blue loctite. That being said, I haven't tried too hard to wiggle it loose. One week of the stresses of normal driving and it hasn't budged. I'll be updating if I have any issues..

ramairgt1

15 GT PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whippled '20 Mustang GT PP2
I dont have the CJPP knob but the GT350 knob I bought and threaded myself has been fine for over a month. I also used blue locktite to keep it from moving.

AoAIronman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Ruby Red Manual
Does this knob work better on an MGW shifter since you wouldnt have to worry about the reverse collar having to come up or does the MGW still need to slide up for reverse?

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Does this knob work better on an MGW shifter since you wouldnt have to worry about the reverse collar having to come up or does the MGW still need to slide up for reverse?
Absolutely! It's a perfect combination. They compliment each other.

Sponsored

AoAIronman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely! It's a perfect combination. They compliment each other.
Sweet. So it was a straightforward install for you then? Got any pics?

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
I had to drill and tap it. Used the MGW stock shifter knob adapter. I turned down the diameter on a lathe(the part that goes into the knob).
image.jpg

AoAIronman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to drill and tap it. Used the MGW stock shifter knob adapter. I turned down the diameter on a lathe(the part that goes into the knob).
Looks good man. What exactly do you mean by turning down the diameter?

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A
Something about turning it down on a lathe says its not easy..lol what about those of us that don't have a machine shop.

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Looks good man. What exactly do you mean by turning down the diameter?
I had to machine the diameter down to fit in the knob. I think there are guys on here though, that have pulled the metal retainer in the underside, and that worked for them.

Sponsored

aschaefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Installed mine with my Boomba shifter handle today. Left the car in reverse to figure out how far down to screw the knob. Used Blue Loctite, so I have to wait until tomorrow morning to see how it feels in the car.

uRydOdX.jpg

wI7zmnx.jpg

fPQZglw.jpg

3Jz9VHd.jpg

aschaefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Holy hell, that looks *fantastic*
Thanks man! I really like it. The only bummer is that I think I got the thread dirty on the shift boot from messing with it while I had greasy hands from the install. Anyone know the best way to clean that stitching? The car is 4 days old :(

number6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium +PP
Thanks man! I really like it. The only bummer is that I think I got the thread dirty on the shift boot from messing with it while I had greasy hands from the install. Anyone know the best way to clean that stitching? The car is 4 days old :(
Was the Boomba shifter install a pain? I want that same setup and the shifter bracket. Was it easy getting your deposit back on the removal tool?

aschaefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Was the Boomba shifter install a pain? I want that same setup and the shifter bracket. Was it easy getting your deposit back on the removal tool?
No, the shifter install takes about 20-30 minutes. Most of the time is painstakingly screwing in the set screws, they are tough to get to if you dont have a hex key that was designed for odd angles.

I just sent the tool back today, but they include a USPS shipping label so all you have to do is tape it up and take it to the post office. Hopefully the money refund is easy.
Sponsored