Sponsored

GT350 or Whippled GTPP?

oldnick9333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 15 GTPP, 02 Lightning
Hoping for some input from those who may have considered similar options;

Anyone follow a similar path (upgrade GT and/or move up to GT350)?
I currently have both plus my baby...compound boost 02 Lightning. If one has the resourses, an FI GTPP w/ mods versus a factory GT350 is a tough call. As others have alluded to, what are your plans and goals.

IMO, vehicles are meant to be driven...not garaged. To me, depreciation or limited production means nothing. I have been to the drag strips and been challenged on the streets. My Lightning has been almost untouchable in both.
On the other hand, my GT and 350 have been beaten but I do not care because they are newer vehicles with up to date technology and comfort.

With new MPSS's on my GT, the supercharging whine is intoxicating, but the stock 350 @ 7500 RPM's on a twisty road course is also intoxicating.

Basically, again, it comes down to what your plans and goals are. If at all possible, drive both and make an informed decision.
Sponsored

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
What would concern me is if the GT350s are so great, why does the classified section seem to be plastered with them? Seems a lot of owners are selling them.
I sold/traded in my GT350 after almost 2 years of daily driving it. Even the GT350 doesn't compare to the GT350R.

And 234 Ferrari 458's. That car must suck ;)
This reminds me of Jay Leno and the amount of times he compared his GT350R to Ferrari!

but who does a double take on a GT? who goes wow...a supercharged 5.0...awesome? sorry...nobody.
When people see a GT350 they Say, "cool, a GT350 with its awesome 5.2 voodoo, I would love to own this car, it's the best mustang ever built." "I hear the driving experience is amazing."
just saying... nothing wrong with a blown 5.0 but they are common.
Funny story...
I had my GT350R out in the driveway while I was working in my garage when a kid drives up in his Dodge Dart...
Me "Hi there"
Kid "oh, just looking"
Me "no problem"
Kid "I really like your Focus RS!!"

Wyldfyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Nope. No need. Wasn’t going to write a check in full for $60k for one no matter what. Way more than I wanted to spend on a car and not worth it to me. But a check for literally half that for a Whippled garage queen? Yup.
Then that explains your opinion. You have no data... only looking at 0-60 and or quarter mile.

I've driven all of the contenders at this price point (and a couple more expensive cars) and the GT350 was the most fun to drive...so I bought it.

When I had my '15 GT, I found myself constantly flirting with jail just to "feel something".

I have a built Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG with over 700 HP. I love that car but after a while it's the same thing (The torque does help keep it fun though). Overall, you feel somewhat limited in what you can do on city streets. You'd have to break the law to feel something and it's just not worth it.

With the GT350, it's fun even if you're going 40 mph in 1st gear, or taking a curve at 55 mph in 2nd gear. It's fun when it's going 0 mph and you are simply walking out of the gas station back to the car lol.

Engineering counts too. We all should know that even though 0-60 in 3.9 - 4.1 is plenty fast, that's not the strength of the GT350. But don't be fooled. I may or may not have been playing around with a twin turbocharged SS one day and once my car got over 3500 rpm, he could NOT pull away. He looked VERY frustrated.

There's a point when your car has to be properly engineered to put all of that power down. Ask dodge...

Other than that it's just talking points.

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Queen Elizabeth’s tits
:lol:
:cheers:
Try not to beat up on Nomadic so much, he did get a hell of a lot of car for $30k and can embarrass cars that cost double in a roll race. Not so much on the track.

Having tracked a Whippled GT, it is fun and drives like a truck. I easily get passed in turns by cars I can roast on the street. I still have hella fun.:D

GT350 is still a "special" car and gets you some social points (mostly guys), but, when I had my NSX, I hated that cheaper muscle cars could blow me away on the street. Thus, I am biased toward sleepers and care less about image.:ford:

NSX... It was a great car for ladies...:love: batted waaaayyy out of my league... :faint:

Depreciation wise, GT350 track packs and 2017 GT350 will continue to drop.
The GT350 will disappear and Ford has already started bringing GT350 technology into the GT. It is reasonable to expect the 2019 or 2020 GT might have cross plane 5.2L and most of the GT350 suspension possibly in a 2020 GT PP. Basically, the GT350 could become the 2019/2020 GT PP minus the flat plane.:shrug:

Now if Camaro :headbang:ever fixes their styling or the front engine Corvettes drop in price for track ready versions... dunno

Wyldfyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
:lol:
:cheers:
Try not to beat up on Nomadic so much, he did get a hell of a lot of car for $30k and can embarrass cars that cost double in a roll race. Not so much on the track.

Having tracked a Whippled GT, it is fun and drives like a truck. I easily get passed in turns by cars I can roast on the street. I still have hella fun.:D

GT350 is still a "special" car and gets you some social points (mostly guys), but, when I had my NSX, I hated that cheaper muscle cars could blow me away on the street. Thus, I am biased toward sleepers and care less about image.:ford:

NSX... It was a great car for ladies...:love: batted waaaayyy out of my league... :faint:

The GT350 will disappear and Ford has already started bringing GT350 technology into the GT. It is reasonable to expect the 2019 or 2020 GT might have cross plane 5.2L and most of the GT350 suspension possibly in a 2020 GT PP. Basically, the GT350 could become the 2019/2020 GT PP minus the flat plane.:shrug:

Now if Camaro :headbang:ever fixes their styling or the front engine Corvettes drop in price for track ready versions... dunno
Great post. I do disagree on depreciation though. I've only recently been paying attention but for the last 5-10 years Ford has consistently taken Shelby and Boss tech and put it into the next gen GT. It hasn't resulted in Shelbys and Bosses depreciating though.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I've had 4 s197s. 3 stick, 1 auto. I Vortech FI the 2009 Bullitt (stick) which made 488 rwhp and 428 rwtq. It was perfect as the boost build really nice. A fun car to drive. From there I went to a Brembo 2011 Coyote and put a Roush on it making 600rwhp. The Brembo and the Bullitt both came with 3.73 GT500 axles. The 373 worked great with the Vortech on the Bullitt, but the 6 speed on the Brembo with the torque of the Roush was too much to really lay in to as the tires would spin, spin, spin.

If you mod a GT you will not get as much $ out of it on the sell. The Bullitt gave be a better return because it was a special edition. So, if you mod a GT you will suffer more on the resale than a GT350 in my opinion.

All that considered, I have decided the '18 is a perfect option of more power without the need for FI.

Just my opinion. The hunt is fun!

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
You actually just proved most peoples point, that if purchased new, a GT PP and then modding is not a good value. My guess is that your car new with mods would cost upwards of 50k and then within 2 years it was sold to you for an almost 20k loss. This was a bad investment for the original owner, but a good deal to you, congratulations on getting a heck of lot of car for the money.

But the OP was asking whether or not he should make the same mistake as the original owner of your car. Based upon how you voted with your money, you would advise against the OP making the mistake of a new GT with mods. There is a tinge of hipocracy in your argument.

You can't have it both ways. :shrug:
/ thread.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
but who does a double take on a GT? who goes wow...a supercharged 5.0...awesome? sorry...nobody.
When people see a GT350 they Say, "cool, a GT350 with its awesome 5.2 voodoo, I would love to own this car, it's the best mustang ever built." "I hear the driving experience is amazing."
just saying... nothing wrong with a blown 5.0 but they are common.
98% of the population wont be able to tell a low end v6 from a GT350R. Thats just how it is in the Mustang world.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Do you really think the average Mustang buyer realizes that GT350 spray lining technology or valvetrain carryover or manifold intake architecture was worked into the '18 car? Keyword: AVERAGE. Not enthusiast, which is very much the minority. In the end, the trickle down effect is very real and no one cares. The '15 - 17 cars have Boss 302 engine technology in them. Guess who cares...

Regardless, I still think the OP should get a GT and put a blower on it.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
98% of the population wont be able to tell a low end v6 from a GT350R. Thats just how it is in the Mustang world.
i thought this also, and have been completely surprised by how many people do a double take at the 350 as opposed to the GT. I would’ve completely agreed with you before i actually experienced the opposite.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Do you really think the average Mustang buyer realizes that GT350 spray lining technology or valvetrain carryover or manifold intake architecture was worked into the '18 car? Keyword: AVERAGE. Not enthusiast, which is very much the minority. In the end, the trickle down effect is very real and no one cares. The '15 - 17 cars have Boss 302 engine technology in them. Guess who cares...
Regardless, I still think the OP should get a GT and put a blower on it.
Very very good point. Yea, Ford can make fat bank on a GT350 while also selling a GT PP w Magride(from GT350) and counter wound rear springs(from GT350)...
I think Ford is doing a great job in making money on the current GT350/350R in track ready versions, while providing a very capable and durable lower cost GT that can be modded by the ‘everyman’ (including women) to be road course and drag strip capable toward top of their class. :ford:
We know the GT350/R ends somewhere in 2019,20,21.
I could see Ford making a 2020 GT Track Pack with GT350 brakes, coolers, and suspension with GT motor. Ford could basically charge $3-6k more for a 1SS 1LE direct track competitor just because Mustang styling is better.
Many thanks to the design team!!:ford:

Wyldfyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
OOOOOOH you are so wrong lol.

In my '15 GT I got "nice car". In my Shelby, I get camera phones on highways, kids screaming "wooooow", randoms coming over to talk at the gas station and even requests for pics.

EVERYDAY!

Don't drive a Shelby if you are an introvert, lol.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
OOOOOOH you are so wrong lol.

In my '15 GT I got "nice car". In my Shelby, I get camera phones on highways, kids screaming "wooooow", randoms coming over to talk at the gas station and even requests for pics.

EVERYDAY!

Don't drive a Shelby if you are an introvert, lol.
The first time I realized I was being filmed driving down the highway was a very awkward moment.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It’s weird, but I get mobbed every time I drive my 350. I don’t think that happens with a regular GT.
Sponsored