Sponsored

Whippled GT350 on a 3.5" pulley Built by Competition Auto in spring lake NC

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
I'm trying to Gauge people's opinions on this car. I originally posted this is the forced induction forums and was told to post it here and i would probably have better luck.

Now, these guys do build engines and i have no idea if it is built or not since he traded it in to a dealer. (which makes me skeptical but maybe he was just in a hurry)

On Good Friday I went to test drive a gt350 and to my surprise (not listed) it had a whipple on it.

Not only did it have a whipple it had been pulleyed down from the stock 3.75" that comes with the kit to a 3.5”

Now, I haven’t really been looking at supercharged cars so I’m not really sure if a 3.5” pulley is safe on a gt350 without heavy bottom end mods or running exclusively on e85. Any help would be appreciated.

I kinda feel in love with the car and while it’s not really intended to be a daily, it will get 10k miles a year and I’d like it to survive more than 1 year.

Dealer has no idea of what other supporting mods have been done.

Would taking it to a ford dealer and having a leak down check and compression check done on it address the major concerns and then i could just pulley it down to something milder for more frequent driving abuse?

Do you think they could run a scope in a cylinder and see if the piston is stock or not ?

Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
You could ask the dealer if they can contact the guy that traded it in to see if he would be willing to ask questions. You can probably also call Competition Auto and ask. They may remember the car or have records.

OP
OP
sumfoo1

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
You could ask the dealer if they can contact the guy that traded it in to see if he would be willing to ask questions. You can probably also call Competition Auto and ask. They may remember the car or have records.
Called them, everyone seems to be happy with their work from the reviews i read but their book keeping isn't too solid... i got "yeah we put a supercharger on it"

I asked about OPGs or anything like that, being that they build racing engines i wouldn't have thought that pistons would have been a huge ask but *crickets*

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Called them, everyone seems to be happy with their work from the reviews i read but their book keeping isn't too solid... i got "yeah we put a supercharger on it"

I asked about OPGs or anything like that, being that they build racing engines i wouldn't have thought that pistons would have been a huge ask but *crickets*
Kinda makes me wonder how good the shop actually is if they dont keep simple computer records.

OP
OP
sumfoo1

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Kinda makes me wonder how good the shop actually is if they dont keep simple computer records.
Yeah i have conflicting views on this. One it seems like computer records would be a good thing on the other hand, my favorite local machine shop still does everything by hand as far as records and what not are concerned.
Good ole' boys can sometimes do better work than the slick well advertised places.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yeah i have conflicting views on this. One it seems like computer records would be a good thing on the other hand, my favorite local machine shop still does everything by hand as far as records and what not are concerned.
Good ole' boys can sometimes do better work than the slick well advertised places.
But can they find their records? If so thats not a problem, it sounds like this shop can't.

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
If I was in love with the car and had to have it, what I would personally do is.
Take it to another near by trusted performance shop (not where the work was done). Tell them the situation on the car and ask them to check it all out in depth. Tell them you will be happy to pay a fee to do so as long as its reasonable.

I have actually done this when I bought a used 03 cobra that was putting 625 to the wheel. I had great results and ended up buying the car. Had it for three years without issue.
Good luck.

OP
OP
sumfoo1

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
If I was in love with the car and had to have it, what I would personally do is.
Take it to another near by trusted performance shop (not where the work was done). Tell them the situation on the car and ask them to check it all out in depth. Tell them you will be happy to pay a fee to do so as long as its reasonable.

I have actually done this when I bought a used 03 cobra that was putting 625 to the wheel. I had great results and ended up buying the car. Had it for three years without issue.
Good luck.

Yeah we have a ford dealer that does performance work and I asked them , they said $250 for a leak down and compression test with a general look over

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah we have a ford dealer that does performance work and I asked them , they said $250 for a leak down and compression test with a general look over
Man that seems steep on price. But if you feel comfortable with that amount and a dealership that does what I'm guessing is only a few kit complete superchargers then go for it. I personally would want a full blown performance only shop doing the testing. Dealerships usually put a bad taste in my mouth, to many morons ya know....

OP
OP
sumfoo1

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Second chance to drive the car and while it dispatched with a 991 turbo s with ease, I got stuck in 5:00 traffic and it was bucking a good bit. Seemed like between 2000/3000 at tip in throttle levels the bypass valve in the blower couldn’t decide if it wanted to be open or closed. Not too bad if you were cruising but if you got stuck in stop and go, it was pretty obnoxious.

That combined with the pulley that’s too small for street boost etc... etc... and I’m out, I found two more cars completely stock and under 10k miles, hopefully one will be in the garage this weekend.

Sponsored

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
Second chance to drive the car and while it dispatched with a 991 turbo s with ease, I got stuck in 5:00 traffic and it was bucking a good bit. Seemed like between 2000/3000 at tip in throttle levels the bypass valve in the blower couldn’t decide if it wanted to be open or closed. Not too bad if you were cruising but if you got stuck in stop and go, it was pretty obnoxious.

That combined with the pulley that’s too small for street boost etc... etc... and I’m out, I found two more cars completely stock and under 10k miles, hopefully one will be in the garage this weekend.
Don't blame you one bit after your thoughts. Good luck, the right one will end up in the garage soon enough. Stock and not modded always your safest bet.

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor

If I came across that car, and was in the market, i'd get it, no questions asked. You can easily revert it back to stock, sell the SC kit for 5-6k and use that money for other upgrades or towards the payment of the car. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
sumfoo1

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R

Good move.
I’d pass on someone else’s mess. It would be different if you knew the previous owner. Stock used cars are always best, the more original they are the better. At least then you know what you’re getting.
Sponsored