GT350 or Mach 1

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
The Voodoo will go down in Ford history as one of the best engines ever(despite some issues), Its the engine that makes the 350 what it is. The Mach 1 is nice and, If you are street driving you may consider it but the GT350 is very streetable (Well, the R a little less so)
I needed a "hell yeah" emoji for this but a :thumbsup: will have to suffice
Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
GT350 for fun driving
ES350 for daily driving

That's what I do :giggle: :like:

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Why not both? Thinking of getting a Mach 1 to supplement my 2019 GT350. Figure the Mach 1 more for daily driving around town, and save the GT350 for when I can really open it up on open highways.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I think it's an extraordinarily tough decision right now.

Mach 1
Pros: warranty, you can order what you want, lower price.
Cons: for street driving the extra coolers, etc just mean extra money you are paying. It probably won't retain it's value as well as a Shelby in the long run. Direct injection means it probably won't last as long and might be more expensive to repair in the long run.

GT350
Pros: the Voodoo is awesome. The brakes are amazing. Good interior. It is a special car.
Cons: with the current market they might be overvalued. Certainly I think most used cars are overvalued. If you are keeping it a long time this won't matter, but if you are selling in the next couple years it might end up being an issue.

I'd probably choose a Mach right now just because I think the Shelbys are too high. Way too high.
I agree with most of what you said, but I think you are way off the mark here on reliability. I'm 99% sure Ford axed the Voodoo because warranty claims were costing way too damn much. The Coyote by comparison is a reliability champ. Plus, 10 years down the line when both are out of warranty, which one is going to cost a kidney for a rebuild, and which one are you gonna be able to pull from a scrapyard?

Also wanted to point out that while Ford did indeed cheap out on the Mach 1 rear brake, it doesn't seem to make any practical difference in performance, as the Mach and GT350 have similar brake distances. And the interiors are basically identical, same as every other Mustang from the ecoboost on up....

Either way both will be very fun cars to drive

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The Mach 1 is a cool car, but itā€™s not a 350. Itā€™s not meant to be. The voodoo was developed for the 350 and from the beginning it was intended to be a limited run. Any high performance motor costs more to rebuild, its the nature of the beast. Rebuilding a voodoo isnā€™t necessarily going to cost a kidney to rebuild and a coyote out of a GT is no inexpensive proposition either. If I was daily ing Iā€™d probably choose a Mach 1. Iā€™m pretty picky where I leave my 350ā€™s. Probably wouldnā€™t be as paranoid with a Mach 1 but then again probably would. Iā€™ve had the chance to ring out a Mach 1 and there is a difference between the brakes.

I agree with most of what you said, but I think you are way off the mark here on reliability. I'm 99% sure Ford axed the Voodoo because warranty claims were costing way too damn much. The Coyote by comparison is a reliability champ. Plus, 10 years down the line when both are out of warranty, which one is going to cost a kidney for a rebuild, and which one are you gonna be able to pull from a scrapyard?

Also wanted to point out that while Ford did indeed cheap out on the Mach 1 rear brake, it doesn't seem to make any practical difference in performance, as the Mach and GT350 have similar brake distances. And the interiors are basically identical, same as every other Mustang from the ecoboost on up....

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I think Ford planned the Voodoo for a short run. I think Ford actually built the Voodoo for a longer time frame than initially planned, because the GT350 was such a huge success and won so many awards. Yes there are some reliability concerns. That's why I don't own one anymore, so I can relate to those that stay away for that reason.

The Roadrunner engine in the Boss 302 was only made for two years. Similar deal.

I agree that Coyotes will be cheaper to build (especially from scratch). Definitely true. What will be easy to find will be a truck version, though. So not really what you want unless dollars are way more important to you than performance. The Coyote is a little bland and boring after owning and driving a Voodoo. Still a good engine, but not nearly as fun.

Rebuilding an existing engine will probably also cost more for a Voodoo, but in my opinion the Voodoo is worth the effort, time and money to rebuild. If I were building a Coyote I definitely wouldn't build a stock one. I'd be looking to upgrade as much as possible.

As far as brakes go, the GT350 brakes are amazing. Regular GT PP brakes are fine. They just don't have the quick reaction and the feel of the GT350 units. I really miss the brakes that the GT350 had as much as I miss the Voodoo engine power delivery and sound.

Yes the interiors are pretty similar, although I'd argue the Cobra logo is a lot cooler than the Mach logo. And does the Mach have alcantera, or does it have slippery leather seats? I have the impression the Mach interior is leather. I prefer the leather on the steering wheel, but on the seats it's much nicer to have alcantera.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I think Ford planned the Voodoo for a short run. I think Ford actually built the Voodoo for a longer time frame than initially planned, because the GT350 was such a huge success and won so many awards. Yes there are some reliability concerns. That's why I don't own one anymore, so I can relate to those that stay away for that reason.

The Roadrunner engine in the Boss 302 was only made for two years. Similar deal.

I agree that Coyotes will be cheaper to build (especially from scratch). Definitely true. What will be easy to find will be a truck version, though. So not really what you want unless dollars are way more important to you than performance. The Coyote is a little bland and boring after owning and driving a Voodoo. Still a good engine, but not nearly as fun.

Rebuilding an existing engine will probably also cost more for a Voodoo, but in my opinion the Voodoo is worth the effort, time and money to rebuild. If I were building a Coyote I definitely wouldn't build a stock one. I'd be looking to upgrade as much as possible.

As far as brakes go, the GT350 brakes are amazing. Regular GT PP brakes are fine. They just don't have the quick reaction and the feel of the GT350 units. I really miss the brakes that the GT350 had as much as I miss the Voodoo engine power delivery and sound.

Yes the interiors are pretty similar, although I'd argue the Cobra logo is a lot cooler than the Mach logo. And does the Mach have alcantera, or does it have slippery leather seats? I have the impression the Mach interior is leather. I prefer the leather on the steering wheel, but on the seats it's much nicer to have alcantera.
I mean you're not wrong that the truck coyote will be easier to find, but I have no reason to believe the Mustang version will be rare, with what 60k+ cars a year since 2018, and they are most likely going to use it on the S650 as well; hell if you did replace it, like you mention, it would likely be an upgrade with whatever they do in 2024. Either way TBH I doubt most people will have to completely replace an engine, but $10k versus $25k or whatever the Voodoo cost is worth noting.

RE the brakes, you guys are of course entitled to you own subjective opinions, but both C&D and R&T recorded infintestimly shorter breaking distances for the Mach 1 v the 350 when on the same tires. Since I don't track my car I can't comment on track usage, but I can say the Mach brakes are very good with a quick bite and I have zero issue with them.

Interiorwise/exterior, I do think the Shelby badging is obviously cooler. Most everyone knows a Shelby is special, while I think most of the public will be scratching their heads and asking, "what is a Mach?". Also the GT350 has that nice race wheel. The Mach doesn't have alcantara, but to me, that's a plus as I hate alcantara, so to each their own.

Anyway like I've said before, if car prices hadn't gone bonkers in late '20/21 I would have bought a GT350, but with things being the way they are, for a daily driver that actually sees miles I think the Mach is the better bet.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I mean you're not wrong that the truck coyote will be easier to find, but I have no reason to believe the Mustang version will be rare, with what 60k+ cars a year since 2018, and they are most likely going to use it on the S650 as well; hell if you did replace it, like you mention, it would likely be an upgrade with whatever they do in 2024. Either way TBH I doubt most people will have to completely replace an engine, but $10k versus $25k or whatever the Voodoo cost is worth noting.

RE the brakes, you guys are of course entitled to you own subjective opinions, but both C&D and R&T recorded infintestimly shorter breaking distances for the Mach 1 v the 350 when on the same tires. Since I don't track my car I can't comment on track usage, but I can say the Mach brakes are very good with a quick bite and I have zero issue with them.

Interiorwise/exterior, I do think the Shelby badging is obviously cooler. Most everyone knows a Shelby is special, while I think most of the public will be scratching their heads and asking, "what is a Mach?". Also the GT350 has that nice race wheel. The Mach doesn't have alcantara, but to me, that's a plus as I hate alcantara, so to each their own.

Anyway like I've said before, if car prices hadn't gone bonkers in late '20/21 I would have bought a GT350, but with things being the way they are, for a daily driver that actually sees miles I think the Mach is the better bet.
The GT350 is considerably faster on track (in track rats terms) then the Mach 1 and the lack of the rear Brembo setup is a difference. Not dissing the Mach 1. Would love to be able to have both

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you want to think about the relationship between the various models of Mustang, you can, in a relative way, map the Ford Mustang product line against the Porsche 911 product line. Now, they're different products, but the relationship between the sub-products within the line are pretty similar.

So, start by mapping (not comparing, mapping) the 911 to the Mustang GT. The 911 GTS maps across to the Mach 1. The GT3 maps to the GT350 and the GT3RS maps to the GT350R.

While lots of people think the GT350 is just a GT with a Voodoo, it's not just about the Voodoo, it's the full package. Suspension components (just look at those front knuckles...), seats, and tuning very different from the regular GT series. Brakes, same thing. Electronics - the ABS, the VDM, etc all are set up to enable serious on-track performance. The 911 GTS is a great car and quite good on the track, but the GT3 and GT3RS are in a different league. Just like the GT350 and the R.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Its always a game of how much streetability do you want to give up to brag about how fast your car is on the ā€˜ring. I figure the people who are good enough to need the difference already know the answer.
Sponsored