GT350 or BMW M4

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
How does a heavier car with less HP/TQ "smoke" a GT350?
M4's weigh in the 3550-3600lb range, while 350's are near on 3800 lbs. Manual M4's are trapping 116-117 in the 1/4, same as a 350. The DCT versions are faster.
Sponsored

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
M4's weigh in the 3550-3600lb range, while 350's are near on 3800 lbs. Manual M4's are trapping 116-117 in the 1/4, same as a 350. The DCT versions are faster.
My fault, I must have been looking at the other model M4's which are the same weight (covert). Point being, getting "smoked" is a hilarious statement to be made. It doesn't matter in the end, the M4 is a beautiful car.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
My fault, I must have been looking at the other model M4's which are the same weight (covert). Point being, getting "smoked" is a hilarious statement to be made. It doesn't matter in the end, the M4 is a beautiful car.
Why hilarious? A manual vs a manual will be closer, but not a DCT M4 vs a GT350 in the real world. The GT350 driver would have to get off the line and shift perfect. The DCT is faster than almost any transmission out there today and it never misses. (unless it breaks).

I'm not being a BMW fanboy or shill. I traded in a M4 for the GT350 and never looked back. I have pretty good experience in both cars now. The M4 has a lot of faults, but it is a straight line monster. Do some research and see what the magazine times are. Those are pros and amateurs are going to get less, but more so in the GT350 as it is easier to launch a DCT M3/4.

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Why hilarious? A manual vs a manual will be closer, but not a DCT M4 vs a GT350 in the real world. The GT350 driver would have to get off the line and shift perfect. The DCT is faster than almost any transmission out there today and it never misses. (unless it breaks).

I'm not being a BMW fanboy or shill. I traded in a M4 for the GT350 and never looked back. I have pretty good experience in both cars now. The M4 has a lot of faults, but it is a straight line monster. Do some research and see what the magazine times are. Those are pros and amateurs are going to get less, but more so in the GT350 as it is easier to launch a DCT M3/4.
We can argue semantics all day... gearing, weight, aero blah blah. In the end you made your choice. Despite my gripes with both manufactures I think you made the right choice.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Hmmm... No way I would have a German sterile car over an American FPC. I have no problem with a manual. But, the character of the cars are a lot different and the M4 has nowhere the looks nor sound.

Performance-wise, off the track, they're even... But, the driving dynamics are totally different. The M is just blah.

Add in total cost to own, repairs if needed, BMW's stick you in the arse labor and parts and insurance and I'm out. The 350 is a wiser choice for me.

But as a DD, I'd much rather have a FoRS than either of them.

Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
GT350 because to me it's more special than an M3/M4.

I asked my gf is she'd rather have a GT350 or an M4, she said GT350 as well.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I picked the gt350 over the m4 because it's special 8250 rpm FPC, huge brakes(the sound). The M4 is nice but it's 10k to 20k more and its a turbo motor, the next one will be a faster nothing separates it

I was interested in the M2 but I think the gt350 is more special and you can actually get one.

My only complaint with the 350 is weight but the days of light cars are gone.

I was interested in the brz but it's expensive for what you get and underpowered

Last edited:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Disagree, I love the GT350, but how do you come to that conclusion and in which way? A DCT (a MT will still beat, but it'll be closer) M4 will smoke a regular GT350 in a 1/4 mile straight line race and will easily hang with it on the track. In the hands of amateur drivers anyway. In the hands of pros a GT350 will beat an M4 on the track, but not by much.

The GT350R is probably a different story though.
I was referring to on a road course, which is the specialty of both cars. I don't care much for drag racing and would pick a Hellcat or GT500 over both if I did.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I was referring to on a road course, which is the specialty of both cars. I don't care much for drag racing and would pick a Hellcat or GT500 over both if I did.
I mostly agree with this and others on the subjective feel of the M4. Many here are quick to discount it though performance wise and they would be very surprised if they tangled with one on a road coarse or elsewhere. As somebody else said earlier in this thread, the M4 is no joke and that's all I'm saying as well.

Hill Country GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have been a long time BMW and Audi driver, most recently both e92 and F80 M3's.

I would agree with what many here have stated, BMW has lost their edge with the M. While my DCT F80 was an absolute beast in a strait line, it also felt numb and a bit boring to drive much of the time. Although as Minn19 said...from a power perspective, the combination of a highly underrated twin turbo 6 and the lightening fast shifts of the DCT...lets just say I had no problem hanging with most any car on the freeway, especially with my full exhaust and Dinantronics stage 2 tune. The car was an absolute beast.

Having said that, the GT350 is a much more visceral driving experience, from the sound, the steering, the powerband of the engine, etc. I really do not miss the M3 one bit.

I have no doubt that this GT350 will go down as one of my favorite cars to have owned.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
More fun to drive, visceral, true soul & character, and most especially the FPC sound... GT350/R all day every day 8 days a week.

Bimmerfans can have the rest... and I'm a Roundel fan too. :headbonk:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The M3/4 feels more traditional muscle car than the GT350. It has gobs of low end torque. Like...super low. And it feels SO. NUMB. It may have a stiffer chassis but the E92 I think communicated more to you.

redleg322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord 2.0t Touring, '17 GT350
I owned a Yas Marina Blue 2015 M4. M-DCT, full LED headlights, Merino leather, 19" wheels, all that jazz. Weighed 3,580 lbs and $78k as delivered.

The car is so well-built it spoils you. Amazing manners on street and can become a total hooligan when you want. Everything on that car is made to a psychotic standard, like you would expect from a Porsche. Nothing rattles, everything feels airtight and premium.

With that said, it never thrilled me. It was very fast, got lots of compliments, was comfortable and a technological wonder but it never gave me "the fizz". The engine is a total engineering experiment and not an emotional expression. Intake and exhaust noise? Forget it.

Just my two cents. Totally worth it if that's what you're looking for.

jackolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4
I've posted the same subject on both the F8x board and here.
It's pretty overwhelming on here where the heart is.
On the BMW board, not as overwhelming but definitely no one swaying me to stay.

I don't quite daily drive my car as I have a Tacoma that takes half the duty but I do take my M out 3/4 days of the week and yes, even winter I bring it out. I tend to avoid icy or blizzard conditions though.
Considering how often I use it as a daily driver, this decision keeps me on the fence.

Come on, any locals?? :help:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I owned a Yas Marina Blue 2015 M4. M-DCT, full LED headlights, Merino leather, 19" wheels, all that jazz. Weighed 3,580 lbs and $78k as delivered.

The car is so well-built it spoils you. Amazing manners on street and can become a total hooligan when you want. Everything on that car is made to a psychotic standard, like you would expect from a Porsche. Nothing rattles, everything feels airtight and premium.

With that said, it never thrilled me. It was very fast, got lots of compliments, was comfortable and a technological wonder but it never gave me "the fizz". The engine is a total engineering experiment and not an emotional expression. Intake and exhaust noise? Forget it.

Just my two cents. Totally worth it if that's what you're looking for.
Love the YMB color... and I also like Austin Yellow after that. This is the bimmer fan in me speaking. :D

Anway, yes these cars can move pretty quick... fast on & off the track. The big letdown is that exhaust noise... huge fail IMO for such pedigree. BMW engineers need to put the M back into Motorsport... right now it's lacking. Beautiful car though IMO... here's an M4 near me in YMB w/ the Sakhir orange interior but a hardtop convertible version. Sticker was easily over 80K. :eyebulge:

29027166720_b105e30271_b.jpg
Sponsored