GT350 or BMW M4

masar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Petr
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Lightning Blue, 2017 AG Raptor
Hi guys, i am new to this forum. Currently driving 2015 BM M4 which i bought in February 2015 as new. I owned several sport cars in past like Nissan 300ZX TT Corvette C6,Ferrari 360, Ferrari 430 (2 cars ), Lambo Murcielago, Lambo Gallardo (2 cars), Porsche 911 997. Now after "italian passion" gone and i i am very happy with the M4 which is perfect daily driver and excellent sport car. But something is boring about the M4, perhaps the fact its so perfect. I never falled in love with the M4 and i can not explain why... But currently there is no car which can replace it, i can not find any 2+2 coupe which would be better, perhaps the GT350?

I really like GT350 and especially R. Its very hard to find here in Europe and especially R - practically impossible to get one. But i have good friend in US who might help me to get the car. However if i calculate price, transport, custom, registration in Europe even standard GT350 will cost aprox. 80 000 USD while fully loaded M4 cost me 73 000 USD (I have friend in BMW who gave me really great offer). And now the question. Would you prefer GT 350 over M4 if you have possibility to buy fully loaded M4 by 7000 USD cheaper? Is it worth it? Is it good move? I don't want to be disappointed because the M4 is really great car.

I also had 2012 Camaro SS actually its EU version 6,2 V8 with 430hp. I had this car 3 years and sold it in 2015 before M4. I did not drive this car too much but it was terrible car in terms of driving and handling. The M4 is totally different league, just hope from what i read and see on videos that GT350 is similar...
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The M4 is just another coupe. "M" has completely lost its core culture. The design is uninspiring, the steering is unacceptably numb and disconnected (and not just for an M car but for ANY car), the sound it makes is less pleasant than my refried bean farts, and it has zero character. None. As a luxury car, it's fine. As a soulful raw sports car (what M cars SHOULD be) it's a pitiful and unacceptable failure. If you want something with character that is actually lovable, immediately dump pile of nonesense and get a 350.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Well I think this is a tough decision... the M4 is still a really nice high performance car, IMHO. German engineering too. Arguably it does have many attributes, features, and options the GT350 cannot match, R or non-R. But the all new Shelby has a some key factors that are both objectively & subjectively better.... to start the FPC Voodoo engine & its unparalleled sound plus the more fun to drive factor. More character and soul too. Hard to trump that right off the bat.

Have you had a chance to ride (or drive) in a GT350 yet? I hope you can and that'll help you personally... more than what you see, read, or watch online.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Nastang, that's pretty harsh. I'm sure the M4 is a great car. However I had a M4 ordered. When I started hearing about the GT350 I decided not to take delivery of the M4. Now that I have one, I think I made the right choice.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Hi guys, i am new to this forum. Currently driving 2015 BM M4 which i bought in February 2015 as new. I owned several sport cars in past like Nissan 300ZX TT Corvette C6,Ferrari 360, Ferrari 430 (2 cars ), Lambo Murcielago, Lambo Gallardo (2 cars), Porsche 911 997. Now after "italian passion" gone and i i am very happy with the M4 which is perfect daily driver and excellent sport car. But something is boring about the M4, perhaps the fact its so perfect. I never falled in love with the M4 and i can not explain why... But currently there is no car which can replace it, i can not find any 2+2 coupe which would be better, perhaps the GT350?

I really like GT350 and especially R. Its very hard to find here in Europe and especially R - practically impossible to get one. But i have good friend in US who might help me to get the car. However if i calculate price, transport, custom, registration in Europe even standard GT350 will cost aprox. 80 000 USD while fully loaded M4 cost me 73 000 USD (I have friend in BMW who gave me really great offer). And now the question. Would you prefer GT 350 over M4 if you have possibility to buy fully loaded M4 by 7000 USD cheaper? Is it worth it? Is it good move? I don't want to be disappointed because the M4 is really great car.

I also had 2012 Camaro SS actually its EU version 6,2 V8 with 430hp. I had this car 3 years and sold it in 2015 before M4. I did not drive this car too much but it was terrible car in terms of driving and handling. The M4 is totally different league, just hope from what i read and see on videos that GT350 is similar...
BMW M cars are like Porsche 911(regular versions). High performance, sterilized cars. If you're after speed, performance, and boring perfection, those are the cars for you. If you want a raw, exciting experience, in a car that has passion and soul off the charts, but don't mind minor imperfections, then the GT350 is your car.

In short: If you want a high performing appliance, keep your car. If you want a raw, high performing car, get the Shelby.

Also, I agree with nastang. BMW M use to be one of the best, now it's lame, just like the rest. I call those cars and many more, cookie cutter cars.

Last edited:

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
Completely agree with [MENTION=19414]Shift[/MENTION]. I've spent some solid seat time in an F80 M3. It is extremely fast and capable, but it is missing any sort of soul or emotion. "Sterilized" is a perfect way to describe it.

Also, if you really want a deciding factor, have someone else drive one while you stand on the curb and listen to the sad sounds coming from its exhaust.

I had an E46 M3 that was the most visceral, emotional diva of a car I've ever owned. Sold it to a buddy who brings it to Cars and Coffee, so I can still see her and reminisce.

OP
OP

masar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Petr
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Lightning Blue, 2017 AG Raptor
Yes, actually what most of you write here its true. The M4 is high performance, sterilized car with no big passion. And thats probably reason why seems to me boring. But sometime i have feeling that its just me who think its boring. Because i have lot of people telling me how great car i own and so on....

Actually i was about to buy used 2014 Audi RS5 one year ago because i really liked it but than my friend from BMW came to me with this good offer on M4 and i could not say no. I was never M guy.....I want to keep M4 definitely one more year actually this summer and than i think to sell it by end of 2016.

2017 GT350 would be possible replacement as i want track package with tech package. But i should decide soon till end of June to find some car,, order and have car by February/March 2017 here in Europe.

The story behind is that i went to US car dealer here to see Ford Raptor and Dodge RAM because i want to buy some pick up. And i saw 2016 GT Mustang there. Checking that car on internet i found GT350 and passion began. Actually i decided for Raptor and i will be buying 2017 Ford Raptor in US via my friend so i am thinking to agree with some dealer on package Raptor + Shelby and perhaps i can get better price. And i seriously think about R ready to pay 20K over MSRP maximum. R would be here in Europe real jewel.....

I did not have opportunity to drive it and i doubt I will...One and probably first GT350 coming to Prague this month and i am going to see it, maybe they let me drive it. I drove standard GT Mustang 5.0 last week and it was so much better than my 2012 Camaro, i liked it. I hope GT350 will be even better.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
If I were to use the car as a daily driver, I'd likely prefer an M2/M3/M4 to a GT350. As a sometimes car that you drive for the visceral pleasure of driving, but also livable, I think the GT350 is hard to beat.

But that's just me. I have a very boring commute with lots of traffic and uninspired roads.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If I were to use the car as a daily driver, I'd likely prefer an M2/M3/M4 to a GT350. As a sometimes car that you drive for the visceral pleasure of driving, but also livable, I think the GT350 is hard to beat.

But that's just me. I have a very boring commute with lots of traffic and uninspired roads.
A '17 GT350 with the convenience package would be hard to beat for a fast DD. Track pack is standard, so then you're getting the heated/cooled leather & alcantara seats, 8" Sync 3, etc.

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
[MENTION=19414]Shift[/MENTION]

Nail on the head.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
But sometime i have feeling that its just me who think its boring. Because i have lot of people telling me how great car i own and so on...
Those people telling you what a great car you own, are saying that because it's a BMW M. Those aren't car people, that's called a sheep. They don't know why it's awesome or bad, they just know it's a BMW M, and that's good enough for them.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes, actually what most of you write here its true. The M4 is high performance, sterilized car with no big passion. And thats probably reason why seems to me boring. But sometime i have feeling that its just me who think its boring. Because i have lot of people telling me how great car i own and so on....

Actually i was about to buy used 2014 Audi RS5 one year ago because i really liked it but than my friend from BMW came to me with this good offer on M4 and i could not say no. I was never M guy.....I want to keep M4 definitely one more year actually this summer and than i think to sell it by end of 2016.

2017 GT350 would be possible replacement as i want track package with tech package. But i should decide soon till end of June to find some car,, order and have car by February/March 2017 here in Europe.

The story behind is that i went to US car dealer here to see Ford Raptor and Dodge RAM because i want to buy some pick up. And i saw 2016 GT Mustang there. Checking that car on internet i found GT350 and passion began. Actually i decided for Raptor and i will be buying 2017 Ford Raptor in US via my friend so i am thinking to agree with some dealer on package Raptor + Shelby and perhaps i can get better price. And i seriously think about R ready to pay 20K over MSRP maximum. R would be here in Europe real jewel.....

I did not have opportunity to drive it and i doubt I will...One and probably first GT350 coming to Prague this month and i am going to see it, maybe they let me drive it. I drove standard GT Mustang 5.0 last week and it was so much better than my 2012 Camaro, i liked it. I hope GT350 will be even better.
I drove past the Ford dealer near the airport a few weeks ago and noticed they had several Mustangs on the lot (and a huge Mustang billboard sign). Is that where the GT350 will be? It will be in May? If so and you are unable to see the one there, PM me and maybe we can arrange something.

macinehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
avalanche gray gt 350
The M4 is just another coupe. "M" has completely lost its core culture. The design is uninspiring, the steering is unacceptably numb and disconnected (and not just for an M car but for ANY car), the sound it makes is less pleasant than my refried bean farts, and it has zero character. None. As a luxury car, it's fine. As a soulful raw sports car (what M cars SHOULD be) it's a pitiful and unacceptable failure. If you want something with character that is actually lovable, immediately dump pile of nonesense and get a 350.
I could be wrong but I'm guessing you never spent any serious time behind the wheel of an M4. And yes I'm a car guy. A 60 year old car guy. Have owned many hi perf cars and motorcycles, including 6 vettes, a gt500, an M3, M4, 911, classic American muscle, Mercedes, Volvo, two Audis, and many, many others.
Whether or not a Gt350 is better than an M4 is debatable, and it may be better. To say an M4 is crap, as iyour post implies, is incorrect. Don't believe everything you read.

Grunholle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
///M
I personally would take a 2017 GT350 over an M4. The ///M brand is very diluted at the moment, sure the M3/M4 are fast capable machines but as others have mentioned, the experience is very sterile compared to prior generations. BMW in recent times have overly abused the ///M-branding across their entire model line. You have lackluster in-between models like the M235i, an M-version of every X-SAV and even obese, overpriced examples like the M6 Competition.

I would say the only ray of light in the ///M world is the M4 GTS from a performance POV and that they didn't totally screw up the M2. I'm expecting (hoping?) the forthcoming M2 CS/CSL will be a return to form for the M-division and I'm also looking forward to seeing what the Toyota/BMW co-venture brings. Will that stop BMW from whoring the ///M brand? No, they know they can sell more cars by slapping on a badge, bodywork and half-developed performance parts.

The GT350 on the other hand will definitely will be a rare bird in the EU and I have no doubt the involvement and excitement will be satisfied by even a non-R model. If I were you however, the R may be worth the bump in price and the ADM if you're going through all the effort?

This is coming from a die-hard ///M owner.
Sponsored