Sponsored

GT350 intake with GT500 airbox / cover?

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Nice work and it looks good.

Are your IAT's measured in the sense of daily driving w/traffic, open rural roads or straight highway bound? At what speed, RPM or how long of an idle time?

Or is the IAT from a track day?

What was the before/after comparison? Meaning, what was exterior temps and driving environment with original air box and IAT readings vs. same after the GT500 "cap" mod?

IAT's can vary greatly not only in a single vehicle being used in a single environment - but when trying to compare other vehicles outside that region, that are being used in different manners.

IAT temps when in stop and go traffic with significant idle time over driving time will be much greater than someone who's cruising on an open highway (or Auto Cross track).

I'm interested in your real world results if you have additional data for comparison sakes.
I definitely didn't go very in depth here. I just compared it to how the stock box reacted on my way to work and driving around town on city streets, no highway. Temps were around 60F so still relatively cool. IAT's dropped to ammbient quickly once moving. Not very scientific I know.

The obvious difference to me of course was at traffic lights and waiting in line to get on base where I work. IAT climbs much slower in those scenarios. Kind of a given I know.

As for track tests, honestly I dont know if it would perform different. I've never been on a track except for drifting many years ago. Not sure if I can datalog with the software the PP2 comes with if I ever make it to some sort of track day.

So really it was just me driving around town like normal as I had IAT selected to view lol.
Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I definitely didn't go very in depth here. I just compared it to how the stock box reacted on my way to work and driving around town on city streets, no highway. Temps were around 60F so still relatively cool. IAT's dropped to ammbient quickly once moving. Not very scientific I know.

The obvious difference to me of course was at traffic lights and waiting in line to get on base where I work. IAT climbs much slower in those scenarios. Kind of a given I know.

As for track tests, honestly I dont know if it would perform different. I've never been on a track except for drifting many years ago. Not sure if I can datalog with the software the PP2 comes with if I ever make it to some sort of track day.

So really it was just me driving around town like normal as I had IAT selected to view lol.
Nice clean install

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Great - thanks for the additional info.

So the foam that is discussed and seen in your pic, can that be trimmed back or will that create a breach of the airbox to lid seal?

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Great - thanks for the additional info.

So the foam that is discussed and seen in your pic, can that be trimmed back or will that create a breach of the airbox to lid seal?
It can be trimmed, which I should've done before hand tbh. The tape I used was just very wide.

stang1087

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I did this as well. My car has the 18+ calibration pack, Big Mouth snorkel and stock style grill with the honeycombs opened up. I hadn't bothered posting because I didn't notice much of a difference over the GT350/Bullitt style box. The lid itself doesn't fit the FPP kit so the lower tray will need to be replaced too. All hardware from the FPP kit fits the GT500 box.

I've switched between the two for testing. On highway I didn't notice any difference. In stop and go traffic the GT500 lid is more resistant to heat soak as expected. With the GT500 box, IATs will drop much faster at idle after heat soaking from parking at operating temp. This should be advantageous in the staging lanes. With the FPP kit I've gotten up to 120 degrees in the staging lanes with ambient temps around 70-75. I even saw 150 degrees in a drive through with ambient in the upper 90's The foam piece on the side doesn't fit well on either box. The FPP snorkel has a slightly different shape but fits the GT500 box well enough. Weather-stripping will need to added to the intake tube to seal on the box.

I had to drop the hood height to get a good seal with the FPP kit leaving the hood noticeably lower than the fender. I've been able to raise the hood back to flush with the fenders.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I did this as well. My car has the 18+ calibration pack, Big Mouth snorkel and stock style grill with the honeycombs opened up. I hadn't bothered posting because I didn't notice much of a difference over the GT350/Bullitt style box. The lid itself doesn't fit the FPP kit so the lower tray will need to be replaced too. All hardware from the FPP kit fits the GT500 box.

I've switched between the two for testing. On highway I didn't notice any difference. In stop and go traffic the GT500 lid is more resistant to heat soak as expected. With the GT500 box, IATs will drop much faster at idle after heat soaking from parking at operating temp. This should be advantageous in the staging lanes. With the FPP kit I've gotten up to 120 degrees in the staging lanes with ambient temps around 70-75. I even saw 150 degrees in a drive through with ambient in the upper 90's The foam piece on the side doesn't fit well on either box. The FPP snorkel has a slightly different shape but fits the GT500 box well enough. Weather-stripping will need to added to the intake tube to seal on the box.

I had to drop the hood height to get a good seal with the FPP kit leaving the hood noticeably lower than the fender. I've been able to raise the hood back to flush with the fenders.
Good info, thank you. For only a slight improvement in IAT's when sitting still, I think I will stick with the FP design.

There's room for improvement sealing with the hood for sure. As a test, I put some strips of painters tape sticky side up around the rubber seal and closed the hood. Then I opened the hood. All the tape should have stuck to the hood liner but it didn't near the back edge (towards the firewall). I am thinking to try adding a 1/4" of very pliable Aerocel closed cell foam to the hood liner for a better seal.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Heres the GT500 airbox with
I did this as well.
Do you guys recall the part number on that GT500 airbox? It comes in a top and bottom piece, not as a whole unit.

When I lookup the GT500 intake, it has a part # FR3Z-9A612-A for the lower tray of the 5.0, 2.3 and 3.7 and then another part # FR3Z-9A612-B for the 5.2 without supercharger.

This sounds like the GT350 and GT500 lower trays are the same part.

stang1087

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
@EFI
I ordered these items from Levittown Ford. I have the lower tray from the FPP kit. All I can say with confidence is the FRPP tray doesn't line up with the GT500 lid. Let me know if you have any other questions.

KR3Z-9661-A​
Cover​
KR3Z-9A612-A​
Tray - Engine Air Cleaner​

Reactions: EFI

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I ordered these items from Levittown Ford. I have the lower tray from the FPP kit. All I can say with confidence is the FRPP tray doesn't line up with the GT500 lid. Let me know if you have any other questions.

KR3Z-9661-A​
Cover​
KR3Z-9A612-A​
Tray - Engine Air Cleaner​
Awesome, thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigBeed

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Do you guys recall the part number on that GT500 airbox? It comes in a top and bottom piece, not as a whole unit.

When I lookup the GT500 intake, it has a part # FR3Z-9A612-A for the lower tray of the 5.0, 2.3 and 3.7 and then another part # FR3Z-9A612-B for the 5.2 without supercharger.

This sounds like the GT350 and GT500 lower trays are the same part.
The GT350 tray and GT500 tray are different. All the part numbers can be found in post #28 HERE

This is the GT500 tray - Original Tray Engine Air Cleaner KR3Z-9A612-A | Genuine Ford Auto Parts (levittownfordparts.com)

This is the GT500 lid - Original Cover KR3Z-9661-A | Genuine Ford Auto Parts (levittownfordparts.com)

You will also need various grommets and hardware that can be found in post #28

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
What type of HP gains do you expect from this swap?

OP
OP
BigBeed

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
What type of HP gains do you expect from this swap?
It's less about hp gains and more about keeping IAT's down so you get colder air quicker. Realistically it won't net any hp gain, mainly just "unlock" hp and tq that was already there but wasnt able to be had due to high IAT's.