Not open for further replies.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Base is super soft, clumsy, and wobbly? LOL. On the street it sure isn’t. It’s a pure joy to drive and handles great.
Enjoy your stiff commute. Glad I’m not you.
Count me in on the stiffer > soft suspension. On the street the handling on the base Mustang is.. lacking to say the least.
I'll take better handling and more directness over a softer, not even cushy version which is the base Mustang. If you're going for comfort anyways the Mustang isn't the choice. Go Lexus or Infiniti LOL.
At least I know when I take a corner I can get my car in and out of it knowing it will stay.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Why does this seem like it's turned into more of a pissing contest that is overcomplicating things? If you're not buying a gt350 to use at the track then it's a waste. The 2018/2019 GT can take a gt350 in the 1/4 mile. It doesn't need as much room to spread its wings. I just don't see the gt350 ever really getting the chance to outshine a GT in daily driven conditions.

But if someone is contemplating a gt350 as a daily and NOT a track car then there's something else, purely subjective, drawing them to the car. In which case, what's the point of asking? The best answer is to go with your heart/gut. If you think you'll be asking yourself "but what if I got the gt350" every time you drive your GT, then get the gt350. The same argument also applies when you're in stop and go traffic with your gt350. Screw novelty, or what people consider "special," get what YOU think will make you the most happy.

When I was shopping for a new car, the Camaro offered an engine much more akin to what I prefer and like, but I know if I got it I'd always be wondering "what if" for the Mustang. I also humored a gt350 but just didn't see the point. I barely find an opportunity to bring my 2019 to redline, and I foresaw that happening. I also, and will probably get slammed for this, don't like the sound. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal, but I don't want to see a Mustang and hear a Ferrari. So I guess, to clarify, I don't like the sound on a Mustang. Saying I don't like the sound at all is a stretch.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Some people prefer more a "driver's car". NVH be damned. Just because you're not using it at the track doesn't mean it can't be a superior road handling car.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't get it either. Just buy what you friggin' want. And for fahck's sake it's not Magnaride, it's

MagnEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetic. Ride. Control.

Not Magnatic ride control......

tenor.gif

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Base is super soft, clumsy, and wobbly? LOL. On the street it sure isn’t. It’s a pure joy to drive and handles great.
Enjoy your stiff commute. Glad I’m not you.
Someone who's never pushed a car ever I see, if you think it handles great. It's merely acceptable or 'fine' at less than 8/10ths. If you autocross it, take it to the track and actually take it near its limits, you'll see how sloppy and overly soft it is.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Super soft? Eh, I don't know about that. When I hear super soft I think Raptor or early 2000's Cadillac. Clumsy? DEFINITELY. But the base cars are base for a reason. Nothing wrong with that but don't kid yourselves either. This goes for both perspectives.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Why does this seem like it's turned into more of a pissing contest that is overcomplicating things? If you're not buying a gt350 to use at the track then it's a waste.
Most people don't normally use much more than about 30% of any car's performance potential on the street either. So much potential is wasted no matter which Mustang you get.

The 2018/2019 GT can take a gt350 in the 1/4 mile. It doesn't need as much room to spread its wings. I just don't see the gt350 ever really getting the chance to outshine a GT in daily driven conditions.
Drag racing and street sprints are not everybody's top metric. Hard to believe.

When I was shopping for a new car, the Camaro offered an engine much more akin to what I prefer and like, but I know if I got it I'd always be wondering "what if" for the Mustang. I also humored a gt350 but just didn't see the point. I barely find an opportunity to bring my 2019 to redline, and I foresaw that happening. I also, and will probably get slammed for this, don't like the sound. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal, but I don't want to see a Mustang and hear a Ferrari. So I guess, to clarify, I don't like the sound on a Mustang. Saying I don't like the sound at all is a stretch.
Except when on the track, I hardly ever run within a thousand rpm of redline in any car. Don't need to, when I know that itch will get scratched plenty good at the next track day.

Personally I'd rather drive a Mustang that sounded like a Ferrari than have people be saying to themselves "yup, there goes another Flowmaster'ed Mustang". Let 'em wonder.

Norm

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I don't want to see a Mustang and hear a Ferrari. So I guess, to clarify, I don't like the sound on a Mustang. Saying I don't like the sound at all is a stretch.
It doesn't sound like a ferrari, it should but, the unequal length exhaust headers makes it sound like chewbacca.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I've owned both a 17 GTPP and 17 GT350. Had the GTPP for a year and a half, the GT350 for just under a year now. Neither are DD's, they sit in the garage except for warm sunny days.

Ordinarily I'd steer people towards the GT350. It's amazing. I may never get rid of it.

BUT.

I don't think it would make a good DD for a few reasons.

#1, even at the stock ride height, the front splitter tries to scrape on everything. To the point that you always have a little anxiety about running over stuff in the road and whether you can make it in and out of certain parking lots.

#2, in the GT I felt like I could rip on her early and more often. The GT350 has an external oil cooler and that's nice and all for a hot day when you're really beating on it, but on cool days it takes foooorever for the engine to get up to temp. (Talking the min oil temp of 190°F to unlock 8250rpm redline.) It may take ten miles of driving to get the engine warm, or on a cold day it may not hit operating temp at all. The cold oil pressure at idle in the 350 is like 100psi, and quite a few of the cars (including mine) exhibit some piston slap from the forged pistons and the sloppy tolerances. I'm just not comfortable putting a lot of load on the engine when it isn't fully warm.

#3, most of the GT350's out there have Recaros and they're just not a good DD seat. I love mine, but with as little as I drive it the side bolstering is exhibiting some wear and I'm very careful getting in and out. I had the cloth Recaros in my GTPP and they didn't show any wear at all with way more miles and use on them. The alcantara doesn't stand up very well.

ETA one more thing: #4: speaking of alcantara, I'm always very conscious about what's on my hands before I get in the car. I make an effort to wash them always. The alcantara wrap on the wheel will soak up your skin oil and get nasty after a while. I never worried about this in the GT.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It doesn't sound like a ferrari, it should but, the unequal length exhaust headers makes it sound like chewbacca.
Actually it shouldn't and won't even with equal length headers. The firing order is completely different despite alternating banks.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Actually it shouldn't and won't even with equal length headers. The firing order is completely different despite alternating banks.
Yep. And not only that, but it also only has a single plane intake manifold vs Ferrari's dual plane... If I remember correctly, that's the main reason for the different firing order

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yep. And not only that, but it also only has a single plane intake manifold vs Ferrari's dual plane... If I remember correctly, that's the main reason for the different firing order
I'd attribute most of the sound difference to this. I don't think the firing order makes much difference, especially if you've got equal-length headers.

One day, someone will throw one of those Borla ITB setups on a Voodoo and we'll all get to hear the glory...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd attribute most of the sound difference to this. I don't think the firing order makes much difference, especially if you've got equal-length headers.

One day, someone will throw one of those Borla ITB setups on a Voodoo and we'll all get to hear the glory...
Firing order makes for a pretty significant difference in engine sound. It's one of the biggest sound differences between the old modulars/windsors and the coyote. The header design does too, but don't discount firing order.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Firing order is sort of related to why H-pipes and X-pipes in crossplane v8 engines can sound so different.

The Voodoo engine is rather unconventional even for a FPC engine - the crank throws are 0 - 180 - 0 - 180 rather than the FPC-conventional 0 - 180 - 180 - 0 arrangement. And the OE exhaust primaries are not merged 4 into 1 but in a 3 into 1 with the last primary merging further downstream. IIRC, this was partly driven to avoid sounding too Euro-exotic and turn off too many US enthusiasts who still want to hear some low-frequency rumble.

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.