Gt vs 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Daily driver? American? Street oriented? Even as a Mustang owner, I'll say you're in the wrong place. Charger/Challenger RT Scat Pack ALL day, every day.
Sponsored

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
Where did you find a GT350 within 3k of a PP1 car? You can get a loaded up premium GT PP1 2019 for mid 40s no problem from almost any dealer in the US. You will be lucky to find a GT350 for less than 61k as most have other BS added to them. I'm sure there is a dealer in bumfuk Nebraska that has been sitting on a current model year GT350. They will discount the hell out of because the GM thought it would be fun to have something on their floor other than a F350 Dually. Even heavily discounted I don't see a new 350 being any less than 10k off of a PP1 Premium.

If you can buy a GT350 within 3k of a PP1 Premium, you are either paying too much for the PP1 or getting the best deal in the country on a 350.

I was between a new 19 GT350 or a 19 PP2 car. I love the GT350 and eventually may buy one (probably something more along the lines of a FP350S). However, I really like to tinker and change almost everything on my toy cars. The amount of money I saved by going with a PPL2 left me over 10k plus in cash over the Gt350 I was going to buy. 10 grand can buy a lot of fun stuff!

BTW, both great cars. Either one should bring a ton of joy! Good luck.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I had ordered a 2019 GT PP2. I cancelled the order after driving a 350 and bought a 2018 GT350 last Sunday. The car is in a different league over the GT PP1. If you can swing the extra dough, get the GT350.

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
If you have found a new GT350 within $3K of a new GT PP1, buy it. Neither were made for stop and go, red light to red light traffic though it would tilt more torwards the GT. With the price difference, GT350 and get it out on the weekends.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Not that buying a car like this involves a lot of logic, but here are some additional factors to weigh. TCO factors - the GT350 is going to retain a higher percentage resale over time, maintenance costs for the GT350 will be marginally higher. The GT350 comes with significant upgrades baked in - Tires/wheels/brakes alone are arguably $3-5K.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just something to think about... First (and last) time I drove a GT350 was a few months before I put in the order on my well-optioned 2018 GT. I knew at the time that used GT350s were around the same price range as the MSRP of the 2018, but I decided on the 2018 for the following reasons:
1. Engine durability. 2018 Coyote durability was TBD at the time, but I imagined it couldn't be too far off from the prior model year's. So far, it seems that hunch was right for me, as I have yet to have a single issue.
2. Custom spec. My 2018 was a custom order that I got to have spec'd EXACTLY how I wanted it. I'd have to jump through hoops to find the exact GT350 I wanted with a decent price
3. Modding. I get satisfaction out of building my car exactly how I want it, and in getting the 2018, I had some extra cash to play around with to mod my car (well, in my case, mod it a bit and also buy a Jetski)
4. Interior. The digital cluster, the big nav screen with Sync3, the leather-wrapped center console, the red leather and red contrast stitching... it's all just so much more satisfying than the GT350. The GT350's steering wheel feels a lot better, but my heated steering wheel was a life saver when the daily was out of commission over the winter and I had to commute the Mustang. The GT350's calculator-screen infotainment is just disrespectful in a car of that caliber

What I don't like about the GT that I like more about the Shelby:
1. Transmission. If you go for the manual, the ratios in the gt are SUPER wonky. The shifter feel isn't awful, but isn't quite as good as the GT350
2. Steering wheel feel. The GT350 caters more to the 3-and-9 hand position that I like. The GT's steering wheel seems to cater more to 2-and-10

Otherwise, they feel pretty similar. I was reaffirmed by this just the other day... I talked my good friend (previously a huge import fan) into getting a GT350, and as a result, started helping him to find a car. Therefore, I drove my 2018 GT to the dealership to test drive a 2016 GT350 track pack. Ultimately, after driving the 2 side-by-side, they don't feel very different. in the steering, the GT has a touch more dead zone on center, but once you're past that, they're weighted similarly and respond similarly. The power comes on similarly where it loves to be in the high RPM range (though my GT definitely FEELS faster), the brakes feel the same, the ride feels the same... there really isn't much of a difference between how they drive. When I was discussing with my friend what mustang would suit him best, it came down to these 3 questions:

Do you want a car to mod, or do you want something that you can mostly keep the same and be satisfied?
Do you care about your car being "special"?
Which one do you prefer the looks of?

Ultimately, all of his answers were the exact opposite of mine, which is why he's getting a GT350 whereas I got a 2018 GT. I think once you ask yourself those questions, you'll know which one will really work best for you.

Happy hunting!

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
Since there is not a lot of info on resale numbers as of yet on 2018s and 2019 vehicles, let's take a look at some resale history of two to three year old Mustangs. I have been in sales of high dollar super high resale retail product for over 23 years; so hopefully I can shine some light on the subject.

*2016-2017 GT350s can be had for 42 to 47k all day with less than 10k miles on them on the open market. New, these cars MSRPed at 50k for super basic up to 65k plus ADM if applicable. So in reality, they take a pretty big hit, especially if you paid over sticker for one; about 20% or more. Ah, forgot to add that every new GT350 comes with a $1300.00 gas guz tax. So add that to the total new cost of a GT350. The amount of depreciation becomes slightly even more.

*2016-2017 Fully Loaded GT PP1 Premiums are selling for 28 to 32k used and were in the mid 40s to even low 50s new. This is where a buyer would take the largest hit in depreciation. Any time you take a car that can be had for low 30s with little to no options and take that same car and push 50k for it, you are going to take a big hit. You would be looking at a 30% to 35% hit in depreciation.

*2016-2017 Basic PP1 cars that sold for 31 to 33 new (My father paid 31k for his new 2017 PP1 in 2017) are still going for 25 to 30k. Surprisingly a base car takes the smallest hit from looking at resales via private party/dealer and auction (yes I have access to auction pricing). So depreciation is only in the 12.5% to 20% numbers.

So in the scheme of things, the best bang for the buck in terms of resale would be a super base PP1 car from what history tells us. They are pretty darn good as it seems everyone always talks about the GT350 as holding it's value the best. But if you want all the goodies on your car like big touch screens, heated seats, cameras, whatever; be prepared to eat that cost. Small options like the ones I just listed never seem to bump up NADA or Bluebook that much. They nickle and dime you to death and don't retain a lot of value when you go to sell. Items like special packages and engines are what will help resale.

Don't ever buy a new vehicle as an investment unless it is something super special (ie. 2006 Fort GT). No matter what, they are all fun cars!

Last edited:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Gt350 sounds 5x better and is basically perfect stock. If you like nodding u may lean towards the GT.

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
For me I had to decide where I was going to spend the most time; the track or the street? I might get to the track one a year so I settled on the GT and have been very happy with my decision. If I were made of $$ I'd also own a GT350R for track days and keep enjoying my GT on the street.

One more thing: I already have too many kids trying to race me when I'm driving the GT. I can imagine when driving a GT350 that this would be worse.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Niether will give you the low end torque feeling like the ss did.

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
As the former owner of a 15 GT I LOVED (had to replace due to the birth of my son) I would go with the GT350 for the transmission alone. Not to mention the resale value and the track attack experience that is included. While you really can't go wrong the GT350 is special. I love normallly aspirated hi revving cars so I am a bit biased and I have always lusted after a GT350. Additionally I believe it is the best looking Mustang currently available including the GT500. At the time I bought my GT it was a 15k price difference minimum. To me, if 3k is the delta, the GT350 is too good a value to pass up. Good luck with your purchase.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I'm one of the few that has zero love for or the desire to own a GT350. if you want neck snapping torque from a Turbo or Blower and plan on modding go with the GT.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.