Sponsored

GT 500 CFTP VS ZL1 1LE

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the two are too close for the comparison to matter. If you're wrapped around the axle over a second or two one way or the other you need a life, and go spend 20hrs at a HPDE event learning how to drive either one.

When you can out-drive Randy your opinion will matter, and not before.
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
ZLE: very fast track car, decent drag car, poor daily driver

GT500 CFTP: very fast track car, very fast drag car, good daily driver
Added for clarity (IMO) to the ZLE: cost effective track car (compared to similarly performing vehicles)
GT500 CFTP: Much more expensive than ZLE (esp. w/ ADM)

I think the big thing is the CFTP is much more expensive (since the ADM is real) - so you pay for the ability to have it be a good daily driver and be a monster on the track.

Last edited:

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
Have you seen this video from Shelby Flyer ?

I too was a little disappointed when I saw the ZLE be one of the only cars that still gave the 500 a hard time on track (and this is amateur HPDE) but he clarifies that it has 'engine work'. Alright. However the 500 is basically stock and it eventually gets him. lol

I was lucky enough to be invited to the GT500 track tour and got a good 3-4 laps in a 500 CFTP on a track I know and driven lots of times in my 350. I'm still can't stop thinking about the 500 I thought it was that good. I was considering trying to 'upgrade' to an R from my '17 350 a couple of years ago but I'm glad I waited...
I went to the North American GT500 Track Tour at NJMP and I didn't walk away with the same conclusion. Yes, it is a fantastic car. No, it does not make me want to trade or sell my 350R for it. There are plenty of other cars in the price range that I would covet over the GT500 CFTP car. I mention that trim because that would be the only version that I would want to purchase. It is very fast, but it doesn't trigger the same emotions and lust that I had for the 350R. My prior cars were all AMG or M cars.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
ZLE: very fast track car, decent drag car, poor daily driver

GT500 CFTP: very fast track car, very fast drag car, good daily driver
This is probably the best simple explanation. Both are great cars, both are probably within a second of each other +/- on any given day. Price wise it probably goes to the Z simple because adm and it’s priced better. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
I went to the North American GT500 Track Tour at NJMP and I didn't walk away with the same conclusion. Yes, it is a fantastic car. No, it does not make me want to trade or sell my 350R for it. There are plenty of other cars in the price range that I would covet over the GT500 CFTP car. I mention that trim because that would be the only version that I would want to purchase. It is very fast, but it doesn't trigger the same emotions and lust that I had for the 350R. My prior cars were all AMG or M cars.
bingo. Obviously someone not wearing the blue oval glasses.

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
2 seconds? Care to post the times and references? The ZLE M6 went 1:34.3 with Randy driving as part of the Motortrend best drivers car comp, and the GT500 CFTP went 1:33.84 this year with Randy driving in the same competition (different year, though). The A10 ZLE would have likely shaved that 1/2 second and matched the CFTP. Wasn't same day, so not definitive.

In the Throttle House video w/ Randy driving the ZLE was faster around Willow Springs, but Randy did say he thinks the GT500 CFTP would have posted a quicker time than the ZLE if it had fresh tires. That was Ford's oops for supplying a car with less than fresh tires.
2020 Ford Mustang GT500 CF - 1:33.84
Camaro ZL1 1LE Package - 1:34.30
Ford Shelby Mustang GT350R - 1:36.11

So I stand corrected it was actually about half a second faster than the ZL1 1LE? Must've got my times mixed up with the 350R. My bad; I'll update my post to clarify that. Either way, Ford did what they set out to do. They made a car that was quicker than the 350(R) on the track and the strip.

I don't have a dog in this fight. Like I mentioned, I, personally, wouldn't pay that much for one but other people would and they're still getting a damn good car for it considering the price of many of the cars it beat.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
I'm still eager to see someone run the goodyear supercar 3Rs from the ZLE. I believe they're faster than the cup2s and better at handling our piggy cars.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I'm still eager to see someone run the goodyear supercar 3Rs from the ZLE. I believe they're faster than the cup2s and better at handling our piggy cars.
I will find a set and slap them on when my cftp comes. I’ll go compare lap times at my local track with the GTR pro.

You have a link to those tires? Just ordered a set of R7s for the GTR. Really curious to compare those to the cup2s

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, I do not think the 3ra come wide enough for the 20inch rear wheel on the gt500. 305 is the widest.

Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... and I'm only seeing 19" on discount tire
yeah I found 20s on tire rack but only up to 305. Goodyear website shows that as max size as well.

BlackMustang690

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500
I own both cars, 2019 Zl1 1Le M6 and Base 2020 Gt500 (handling, recaros) . And while most people compare them to each other I think they are very different. Zl1 1Le is a track beast, ride is harsh but manageable when you switch out the GY3R to a 4S tire or a more friendly street tire. Having the manual really makes it a fun car being able to bang the gear. I only use the ZL1 for track days and kinda hard to beat it out on the track for the price. I see lots of P cars (gt4/gt3) on track and more than once I have had the owners come over and ask what mods the camaro has, shocks them when I say none.

Its only when you actually have them side by side that you start seeing where Ford dropped the ball on a lot of comfort features and quality. Some examples I have full head up display, cooled and heated Recaros, ambient lighting also the PDR (performance data recorder) is really cool. FYI the DSSV aren't adjustable for rebound/ compression they are only height adjustable.

The Gt500 is an amazing car yes the price is up there but all Shelby cars have been expensive and it think it carry's more heritage and that is why a lot of people like them. My first car was a mustang and have always had one since. 10 out of 10 its the car that me and wife take for a weekend cruise or for a nice dinner.

They are both fast cars but if you only had to pick one, the GT500 is the winner for me, well rounded and can do everything the Zl1 can. ZL1 1Le really can only do one thing well and that is track use.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I own both cars, 2019 Zl1 1Le M6 and Base 2020 Gt500 (handling, recaros) . And while most people compare them to each other I think they are very different. Zl1 1Le is a track beast, ride is harsh but manageable when you switch out the GY3R to a 4S tire or a more friendly street tire. Having the manual really makes it a fun car being able to bang the gear. I only use the ZL1 for track days and kinda hard to beat it out on the track for the price. I see lots of P cars (gt4/gt3) on track and more than once I have had the owners come over and ask what mods the camaro has, shocks them when I say none.

Its only when you actually have them side by side that you start seeing where Ford dropped the ball on a lot of comfort features and quality. Some examples I have full head up display, cooled and heated Recaros, ambient lighting also the PDR (performance data recorder) is really cool. FYI the DSSV aren't adjustable for rebound/ compression they are only height adjustable.

The Gt500 is an amazing car yes the price is up there but all Shelby cars have been expensive and it think it carry's more heritage and that is why a lot of people like them. My first car was a mustang and have always had one since. 10 out of 10 its the car that me and wife take for a weekend cruise or for a nice dinner.

They are both fast cars but if you only had to pick one, the GT500 is the winner for me, well rounded and can do everything the Zl1 can. ZL1 1Le really can only do one thing well and that is track use.
Which is exactly the ethos up and down the Mustang line.

Chevy: Track focused car, handles well, sacrifices livability
Ford: True grand tourer. Can handle itself on a track and keep up with the "track focused" cars, but doesn't sacrifice the daily experience
Dodge: Land bruiser dripping with style and horsepower. Can't keep up on a track, but focuses on daily comfort.

1 of the 3 outsells the other 2 easily. 1 is on death's door with no plans for a refresh or redesign currently announced. The other has not had meaningful updates other than engine updates in more than a decade.

Ford not only makes the better car, they make the better product.
Sponsored