Sponsored

GT 500 CFTP VS ZL1 1LE

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
“The” video on a channel with hundreds of videos. You couldn’t even post a link to the video in question and you’re talking comprehension.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
“The” video on a channel with hundreds of videos. You couldn’t even post a link to the video in question and you’re talking comprehension. You are clearly trolling.
from YouTube channel “ lethal garage “, titled “ and the winner is - throttle house exposed”.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Have you seen this video from Shelby Flyer ?

I too was a little disappointed when I saw the ZLE be one of the only cars that still gave the 500 a hard time on track (and this is amateur HPDE) but he clarifies that it has 'engine work'. Alright. However the 500 is basically stock and it eventually gets him. lol

I was lucky enough to be invited to the GT500 track tour and got a good 3-4 laps in a 500 CFTP on a track I know and driven lots of times in my 350. I'm still can't stop thinking about the 500 I thought it was that good. I was considering trying to 'upgrade' to an R from my '17 350 a couple of years ago but I'm glad I waited...

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.

I too was a little disappointed when I saw the ZLE be one of the only cars that still gave the 500 a hard time on track (and this is amateur HPDE) but he clarifies that it has 'engine work'. Alright. However the 500 is basically stock and it eventually gets him. lol

I was lucky enough to be invited to the GT500 track tour and got a good 3-4 laps in a 500 CFTP on a track I know and driven lots of times in my 350. I'm still can't stop thinking about the 500 I thought it was that good. I was considering trying to 'upgrade' to an R from my '17 350 a couple of years ago but I'm glad I waited...
it is a great video and this gentleman has some great content. He is a true mustang enthusiast, no question.

but when I look up track times put down by professional/semi professional drivers the zl1 1LE is consistently the better track car. I think two different people who own both have verified on this thread that the camaro is the better track car. Can’t get better confirmation than from actual people who own both.

Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
So go buy a fucking ZL1! Join Camaro6G and make corny posts over there! It’s weak as fuck to come into a section and bitch about a car you don’t even own. What the hell is wrong with you? You sound like a little kid that didn’t get his way. So now you’re going to act out.
This is accurate. I always figure these cats are just paid by whatever car manufacturer they are ‘pretending’ to not rep.

Happens all over.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I love what GM did with the chassis underneath the ZLE skin. I was already familiar with the DSSV's Multimatic supplied on the GT4 Mustang's and I find it interesting that GM used them on the ZLE but Ford went with comfort, Magneride-style, by using a damper that originated with GM's Delphi group. Kind of ironic.

Props to GM for offering a tighter performance package, knowing all the while that it would alienate some with it's edge being a bit more hardcore than the segment's competition. And at a price that would put smaller companies out of business. Ford went after the broader market, and at current it prefers something a bit softer to drive but with a monster of an engine.

I like them both and see them on the same side rather than as a sort of enemy to each other. Buy whatever the hell you want, customize it and make it your own. What you purchase doesn't really matter. Its what you do with it that matters.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I do agree with is - that for the amount of time they Ford took to develop the GT500 they should have been able to lighten it up and produce a car that bests the Camaro.
they started with the ecoboost, and slapped a blower on an oversized Coyote, so... :)

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE

If you’re referring to the blue car in that video, that appears to be an SS 1LE, not a ZL1 or ZLE. That said, with engine work, that’s still gonna be a beast on track.

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
I think $ 20,000 to $ 25,000 is enough of a delta for anybody who understands the value of a dollar.
Value is something you determine yourself… other people probably don’t value the same things you do, or everyone would like pink too.

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Just curious if anybody can explain to me why and how a Camaro with approximately 110 HP less and less torque is able to beat a GT 500 CFTP on the track ? Is there something with the suspension or the body geometry of the Camaro that makes it faster on a track ? Something really seems off. The other issue is the GT 500 CFTP costs nearly $ 100,000.00 and the ZL1 1LE can be bought for $ 25,000.00 Less ! Ford had plenty of time to make sure the GT 500 was the better track car and it seems like they missed the boat. It just seems like when GM really sets their mind to it they are always one step ahead of ford.
Why because the ZL1-1LE is a compromised streetcar, or dedicated track car. It does one thing well go around the track fast while beating the hell out of the driver in any other venue. There is a reason these cars pre Covid had to be heavily discounted to move. Also since you are so concerned with pricing vs lap time, why did you buy a R when the standard ZL1 posted a faster lap?
we’ll asswipe I own a gt 350 r and have driven a gt 500 as well. I do use google and YouTube for reference s*** for brains.
How did you drive the GT500? Just curious? Friends car :)

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How did you drive the GT500?
slowly, and in reverse, while sitting on the door sill to look where he was going. Oh wait, that's for the Countach.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Then Randy even said he ran the GT500 on worn tires and that it most likely would’ve have a better time if he he had fresh tires. He’s already posted a 2 second faster time at Laguna Seca with the GT500 vs 1LE and the car came within less than half a second of a GT3RS at Chuckwalla.
2 seconds? Care to post the times and references? The ZLE M6 went 1:34.3 with Randy driving as part of the Motortrend best drivers car comp, and the GT500 CFTP went 1:33.84 this year with Randy driving in the same competition (different year, though). The A10 ZLE would have likely shaved that 1/2 second and matched the CFTP. Wasn't same day, so not definitive.

In the Throttle House video w/ Randy driving the ZLE was faster around Willow Springs, but Randy did say he thinks the GT500 CFTP would have posted a quicker time than the ZLE if it had fresh tires. That was Ford's oops for supplying a car with less than fresh tires.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Just curious if anybody can explain to me why and how a Camaro with approximately 110 HP less and less torque is able to beat a GT 500 CFTP on the track ? Is there something with the suspension or the body geometry of the Camaro that makes it faster on a track ? Something really seems off. The other issue is the GT 500 CFTP costs nearly $ 100,000.00 and the ZL1 1LE can be bought for $ 25,000.00 Less ! Ford had plenty of time to make sure the GT 500 was the better track car and it seems like they missed the boat. It just seems like when GM really sets their mind to it they are always one step ahead of ford.
JMartin did a good job explaining the differences in his first page post. The ZLE is about as quick as a GT500 CFTP around a track with 110 less hp because of the suspension, superior base chassis, DSSV dampers (which are adjustable), less weight, better weight distribution (54/46 vs 56/44), and I think the Goodyear 3R tires are probably better than the Cup 2s on the CFTP as well when it comes to track use.
Sponsored