Sponsored

Got the dreaded "Service Engine Soon" warning light...

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Still no engine light or issues this morning, it's looking like it is resolved but I guess time will tell.
Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I have another question, has anyone heard of a throttle controller causing a misfire code?
No, the throttle controller just adjusts the throttle position electronically. The misfire code is going to be engine related like a bad spark plug.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
That was my thinking also but the only change after having the light consistently on for several drives over a few days, was removing the TC and the light going off and staying off.

Like I said though, it could just be a coincidence.

Sponsored

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
The TC basically has 2 ends, you disconnect the existing cable going to the gas pedal and connect it to one end of the TC and then plug the other end of the TC back into the gas pedal.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
The TC basically has 2 ends, you disconnect the existing cable going to the gas pedal and connect it to one end of the TC and then plug the other end of the TC back into the gas pedal.
The best TC you can have is your right foot.

Transient misfires, that are random misfires that happens rarely (flashing CEL for a brief moment), are stored in different tables and DO NOT trigger check engine light (solid). These tables are cleared after three consecutive engine cycles (from stone cold to operating temperature and a sufficient quantity of miles/engine speed and load).

Misfires that will light continuously up the check engine light are more serious and are usually related to bad spark plugs, coils, or something more severe. To my knowledge these do not clear themselves.
I'll keep the box disconnected, it can interfere with the car systems.

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
P0305 is a misfire on cylinder #5. Keep all aftermarket stuff unplugged and go through a full drive cycle or 2. You can play swaptronics and throw parts at it if the CEL comes back or a better strategy is to let Ford figure it out.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
It is hard to know sometimes what the source is of a problem you are experiencing. Electronics seem to be a funny thing at times. I've had a instances over the decades where an issue was generated by electronic feedback from a seemingly non-interactive source.

Like you, disconnecting/reconnecting things I changed from stock resolved issues...and I still was left scratching my head on why. It could be your throttle controller went bad and was sending interference signals instead of expected signals. It happens.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I have not had the engine light come back on and haven't had any noticeable issues when driving but I did pick up a new Vgate vLinker scan tool in case I need it in the future and it is actually showing that Cylinder #5 has a misfire still.

What exactly does it mean if it's not setting off the "check engine" light?

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
What exactly does it mean if it's not setting off the "check engine" light?
It means it is not misfiring any more.

Bad advice is to not clear codes. The dealer tech will read and clear codes then go for a drive cycle to see if it returns. At least the good ones will. It's when you clear a code and it comes back is when you know you need to have it looked at.

So you just saved yourself a diagnostic fee from your dealer. Obviously if the same code returns you do not clear it and take it in.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
If I am reading this right, it appears to be showing that the code is still active?

OBD-IIOBD-II

DTCs: 99
----------------------------

P0305 [0x0305]
Cylinder 5 - misfire detected
Cylinder #5 Misfire Detected
P0305(00) [0x030500] Archive (inactive)
Cylinder 5 - misfire detected
Cylinder #5 Misfire Detected
Status: Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle
P0316(00) [0x031600] Archive (inactive)
Misfire detected during start-up - first 1000 revolutions
Status: Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Says it's inactive. It should turn the light on if active. Usually it will say pending if it hasn't miss fired enough times to set the light.

I'd say keep your appointment and only cancel the day before if it does not turn back on.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If you are handy with computers there is a free software called ForScan that gives you dealer level access to your car's systems.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Says it's inactive. It should turn the light on if active. Usually it will say pending if it hasn't miss fired enough times to set the light.

I'd say keep your appointment and only cancel the day before if it does not turn back on.
I already cancelled the appt. I have been driving it daily for over a week, including a couple hundred mile trip over the weekend and no signs of an issue.

I just assumed that the 1st DTC listed in the report was the most current, and that one doesn't show inactive but I could be wrong about that.
Sponsored