Sponsored

Steeda H-pipe install now service engine soon/misfire.

Drock73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 A10 convertible
I had a dealership install a Steeda H-pipe with Hooker couplers on my 2019 PP1 convertible yesterday. Today while my wife was driving it I get a Ford Pass notification stating service engine soon indicating a misfire. SES is still on and plan to take in tomorrow for diagnostic. The H-pipe is the only performance mod I have done Yesterday when driving it the sound seemed excessively loud and I heard a rattle while on the gas. Only have 11.5k miles on vehicle and no prior issues. Searches indicated plugs/coils or possibly related to CAI. Car seems to run fine. Could it be an exhaust leak causing the misfire? If this is the case, would I need to do anything more than fix the leak? Could it cause plugs to be bad and needing replacement now. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
If you have an exhaust leak it's past the cataclysmic converters, H pipe isn't the cause of your misfire.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Something else is the issue. Definitely isn’t the H-Pipe.

Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
The dealership will usually do other stuff and inspections while its in there. I would check your repair bill to see what additional services they did as well as call your service advisor and ask them.

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
So, shot in the dark here, Im not an expert,
But lets say they F****d up his install and did something wrong... left some obstruction in the exhaust, pinched it off, clamped it too tightly and crushed it... did something to obstruct the exhaust flow... could that cause these symptoms?

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
So, shot in the dark here, Im not an expert,
But lets say they F****d up his install and did something wrong... left some obstruction in the exhaust, pinched it off, clamped it too tightly and crushed it... did something to obstruct the exhaust flow... could that cause these symptoms?
No.

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Handling Package
I had a dealership install a Steeda H-pipe with Hooker couplers on my 2019 PP1 convertible yesterday. Today while my wife was driving it I get a Ford Pass notification stating service engine soon indicating a misfire. SES is still on and plan to take in tomorrow for diagnostic. The H-pipe is the only performance mod I have done Yesterday when driving it the sound seemed excessively loud and I heard a rattle while on the gas. Only have 11.5k miles on vehicle and no prior issues. Searches indicated plugs/coils or possibly related to CAI. Car seems to run fine. Could it be an exhaust leak causing the misfire? If this is the case, would I need to do anything more than fix the leak? Could it cause plugs to be bad and needing replacement now. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Sorry to here this.. I doubt its caused by the H-pipe. Having swapped out several H/X-pipes on two of my mustangs without any issues it could be a coincidence or they somehow messed something up (exhaust leak). At least the dealership did the work so if they messed something up they have the resources to fix it. As for plugs I can't imagine at the low miles listed they would need replacing.

Sponsored

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
do you have a scanner to jot down the codes and then delete them ?

I wonder if they cut the exhuast while it was attached to the car and the vibrations killed an 02 sensor . Usually the exhuast it taken down and cut but i don't know what the installers did .

OP
OP

Drock73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 A10 convertible
Have at the shop now. I believe they said P303 which they said was plug and boot? They are trying to get covered under warranty. So strange it happened the day after h-pipe install. I am under the impression it is just a coincidence. I do feel the Steeda H-pipe is crazy loud and raspy compared to what I expected from reviews. So having them also look for a leak. If no leak then resonator going back in. They do have concern about putting resonator back in without a leak because of cutting near the angle. I would think if the are concerned about leak with resonator there would be the same leak at that joint with H-pipe. I am a Mustang enthusiast and unfortunately not a mechanic. Appreciate all the responses.

Video is with H-pipe in Sport + under a little acceleration. Sound normal?

Last edited:

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
It's hard to tell for sure, but it definitely sounds a lot louder than mine did with the h-pipe. I had a deep growl and zero rasp.

Also not sure why the shop would have a concern with the resonator replacement. Mine was positioned to where it was well clear of any angles and could be replaced at anytime using the steeda clamps. Maybe see if you can get some pictures of the placement to confirm they installed it correctly. Honestly not sure how it could go wrong, but I've seen people do some really strange things.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have at the shop now. I believe they said P303 which they said was plug and boot? They are trying to get covered under warranty. So strange it happened the day after h-pipe install. I am under the impression it is just a coincidence. I do feel the Steeda H-pipe is crazy loud and raspy compared to what I expected from reviews. So having them also look for a leak. If no leak then resonator going back in. They do have concern about putting resonator back in without a leak because of cutting near the angle. I would think if the are concerned about leak with resonator there would be the same leak at that joint with H-pipe. I am a Mustang enthusiast and unfortunately not a mechanic. Appreciate all the responses.

Video is with H-pipe in Sport + under a little acceleration. Sound normal?
Active exhaust in sport, or sport mode drive mode (with no active exhaust) ?

'Most' of the people who seem to not like the Steeda H are either / or non active exhaust and convertibles owners.

WD :like:

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
sounds more raspy and loud than mine does.. but the video quality is not great either, kind of sounds like there is an exhaust leak though... the clamps that come with the kit are not that great at all, if that is what they used.
Sponsored