Sponsored

Going for 500whp N/A

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
I stand corrected. But they have to close a larger and heavier valve spring so thus, can't rev as high as the boss.
Gen 2 can rev as high as the boss if using the boss or Cobra Jet manifold and vct is tuned correctly.
Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M-6550-M50BEXH and M-6550-M50BINT are the cams that come stock in the gen 2 coyote. These were the boss cam upgrade from frpp. 13mm lift 263 duration. Still haven't seen anyone just do ported heads with stock cams to see how they do. Not saying that any other cams don't out perform them, just upgraded cams aren't as high as previous cams because the stock ones aren't terrible to begin with.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Gen 2 can rev as high as the boss if using the boss or Cobra Jet manifold and vct is tuned correctly.
For how long before that spring gives up holding a heavier valve at a higher lift? It may be fine for a street car that rarely sees redline but every so often on the street or drag strip, it's another for a track car that's always at redline...

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Well the problem with the Boss 302 springs is that they are still production springs. While it is still an upgrade from the stock Gen 1 springs they still had different seat pressures I believe it was when JPC Racing tested them a while back. If I was going through the motor and adding cams with more duration and possibly larger lift, I would be looking into aftermarket springs. When you look into aftermarket springs you also might want to look into heavy duty secondary chains. When talking with Tim Eichhorn over at MPR Racing Engines he had suggested that I go with aftermarket secondary chains as well. It took him about a month and a half to get his first batch of secondary chains to market, but so far they have been flawless for me.

Sponsored

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
M-6550-M50BEXH and M-6550-M50BINT are the cams that come stock in the gen 2 coyote. These were the boss cam upgrade from frpp. 13mm lift 263 duration. Still haven't seen anyone just do ported heads with stock cams to see how they do. Not saying that any other cams don't out perform them, just upgraded cams aren't as high as previous cams because the stock ones aren't terrible to begin with.
Stock cams, Upgraded valve springs, Kooks Long tubes, 3" kooks exhaust, GT 350 IM PORTED heads.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a base Dyno as reference

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Well the problem with the Boss 302 springs is that they are still production springs. While it is still an upgrade from the stock Gen 1 springs they still had different seat pressures I believe it was when JPC Racing tested them a while back. If I was going through the motor and adding cams with more duration and possibly larger lift, I would be looking into aftermarket springs. When you look into aftermarket springs you also might want to look into heavy duty secondary chains. When talking with Tim Eichhorn over at MPR Racing Engines he had suggested that I go with aftermarket secondary chains as well. It took him about a month and a half to get his first batch of secondary chains to market, but so far they have been flawless for me.
So stock always means bad? I can see those engines being reved up to 8000 with GT350 mani all over the place - if anything fails it would be OPG or CS so you better invest some money here. Chains were also upgraded in S550.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Why would you hassle to change the springs while still keeping the stock cams? :shrug:
Cost? Quite honestly id love to see his setup with those ported heads and upgraded springs on a CJ intake and spin it to 8k+ :headbang:

The cams would cost more than the cost of the CJ intake manifold.

Sponsored

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Cost? Quite honestly id love to see his setup with those ported heads and upgraded springs on a CJ intake and spin it to 8k+ :headbang:

The cams would cost more than the cost of the CJ intake manifold.
It wont change a thing without cams - GT350 mani was already designed to deliver peak power at 7500 - you will never get there without cams with longer duration
(vide every Coyote peaks at 7300). Even GT350 mani is able to deliver the power above 7500 rpm but it can't be done without proper cams.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
it still like to see what it gained. Not what the peak rpm is. Ive seen both cj and gt350 spun to 8k.

plus with the ported heads i doubt it would fall off at 7300 like every other coyote.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
plus with the ported heads i doubt it would fall off at 7300 like every other coyote.
No because at the end of the day cams dictates the max flow and efficiency - porting can help with gaining power but it will never move peak power in rpm range.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
cmon now are you saying ported heads wont dictate the flow and effiency?

Im not talking about hp at max rpm id like to see the gains and loss under peak one manifold to the next.

Hell since hes on gt350 now id like to see how the stock mani and the cj compared.

Again im not talking about where the graph falls off what id care more to know about is what is USEABLE before the graph falls off.

if ported heads & gt350 = 420~ ish @ 6k just picking a point here then what would

ported heads & cj = @6k

or what would

ported heads and stock intake = 6k?

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
reason for this would be great to see where is best to spend the money first?

ported heads stock cams and gt350 as his build consists of or

ported heads and aftermarket cams but stock manifold?

ported heads and stock cams with cj intake?

ported heads and stock cams with stock manifold?

at the end of the day its all about hp gained per $ here.

edit: or is the best bang for buck spending money on cams and intake (either gt350 or cj) instead of the ported heads would it make more than the numbers he posted?

edit: x2 jpcracing facebook just had a car make 492 on e85 with comp stage 3 cams and stock heads too. I was just at jpc yesturday and asked about that 492 build specifically. so i know its on comp stage 3 cams stock heads jlt intake and long tubes 47# injectors and e85. i dont remember what intake manifold though...... installed the tab on that 492 build was 6k labor and tune included.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1591433950887177&id=124566740907246&__tn__=*s
Sponsored

Last edited: