Sponsored

Going for 500whp N/A

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Chain-drive: The Gen 2 phasers , primary chain, and crank-sprocket are a matched set and cannot be interchanged with Gen 1 chain-drive. Also, VCT bolts are new for Gen 2 chain-drive due to bolt clearance to VCT solenoids. A calibration modification will be needed due to Gen 2 mid-lock phases • Chain Drive Kit PN - M-6004-A5015 so does this mean that the Gen 2 coyote motor comes with some type of phaser lock?
Sponsored

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
I'm waiting for my Comp Cams 3 to show up - no springs for me.

Stock Boss 302 had rev limiter set at 7500 rpm FROM FACTORY but those engines rev up to 8000 without any drama. S550 Coyote will make its peak power at 7300 rpm with
GT350 or Boss intake manifold, a bit more with Cobra. Cams will move this up couple of hundred but you really should not spin that motor above 8000 without any additional head work.
You really don't need anything else - those stock Boss springs will hold just fine.

Gearhead26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
Chain-drive: The Gen 2 phasers , primary chain, and crank-sprocket are a matched set and cannot be interchanged with Gen 1 chain-drive. Also, VCT bolts are new for Gen 2 chain-drive due to bolt clearance to VCT solenoids. A calibration modification will be needed due to Gen 2 mid-lock phases • Chain Drive Kit PN - M-6004-A5015 so does this mean that the Gen 2 coyote motor comes with some type of phaser lock?
I dont believe so but damn this thread is going to make me go full retard in research mode again.

if i recall correctly the phasers can "sweep" a total of +/- 50 degrees.

Now heres the huge part that i tried to get out of comp cams but no one can give me a straight answer.

are factory cams installed "straight up" or installed at what degree negative or advanced?

that has a big effect on how much lift one can stuff in a coyote head if doing custom grind cams. i also know some comp cams require a different cam core due to size of the base circle being different one version to the next.

last i knew and best i can remember at the moment is that the gen2 coyotes can run the comp stage 3 na cams WITHOUT phase locks but the gen1 requires them.

what makes it even more complicated is what i mentioned earlier is that CR is not the only series of cams comp offers.

again here we are with "off the shelf" cam grinds.

for the love of god i wish jpc and mmr for example would list their cam specs they offer.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
The problem is all shops have their specs listed for gen1 Coyote only while the S550 Coyote is a bit different - what was seen as an upgrade 5 years ago is already installed form factory nowadays.
I'm also not sure where the middle of phaser is in the later model - the fact you don't need any limiters suggest they are a bit advanced from factory.

Gearhead26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
well either that or the valve to piston clearance is differet too. so the gen2s dont require phase locks.

Iffffffff i had the coin or if i could give a limb id LOVE to have giant lift custom cams and custom 13:1 compression pistons with valve reliefs to run e85 and NO PHASE locks to maintain the VCT ability of the engine and not have to sacrifice low rpm torque.

The thought of such a build with big cams big compression on e85 with full vct makes my pants tight lol.

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lund made peak power at 7800 RPM and carried all the way to 8000 RPM on the new S550 with the boss manifold. In fact the cams that come in the gen 2 platform are the upgraded cams for the boss 302 heads that was offered by frpp.

Gearhead26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
blah stock cams yes.

though i think there could be better than those and the comp stage 3 cams but seems no one lists the specs of their super secret "custom" cams

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Lund made peak power at 7800 RPM and carried all the way to 8000 RPM on the new S550 with the boss manifold. In fact the cams that come in the gen 2 platform are the upgraded cams for the boss 302 heads that was offered by frpp.
They program the rev limiter to 7800 but if you take a look at some dyno charts you can clearly see that 90% of them peaks at 7300...

GT350 intake delivers the peak power at 7500 they say...well not with S550 heads...

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope I think you're looking at the Holley sniper or an auto dyno. The boss is tuned for 7750 while the Cobra Jet is tune for 8000. If you get a different manifold you also need VCT adjustments, maybe that's what's going on they're not doing the VCT adjustments.

Sponsored

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
im not convinced the gt350 is even the best intake for the money.
For peak power? No.

GT350 mani offers best compromise between power, torque and fuel economy - if everything you want is a peak power go for Cobra Jet.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was reading on Facebook last week that somebody bought the new Holley sniper race version and their Dino was no better than the regular Holley sniper I was pretty disappointed. Hopefully some better dinos come out

Gearhead26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
holley race is just for boosted applications i thought the design was the same.

What id like to see is like the holley ls style with the removable lid for nitrous.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Holly Race is as tall as the Cobra Jet or the boss manifold and the top lid is removable. It's also a little thicker sheet metal being used for boosted applications, the guy who did it Dyno had an auto and it was still N/A. The new Holley sniper race claims to make max power at $8,000 RPM but on his Dino he made max power at 7300. Which is the same as the short Holly sniper.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
As I said - S550 coyote makes peak power at 7300 no matter which mani you will use. This is where the stock head "begins to choke" - you can raise it a bit with cams but that's it.

So yeah, some manifolds can make power even over 8000 rpm but so what, your cylinder heads will never flow past that.
Sponsored