Sponsored

Going for 500whp N/A

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Here is the comparison.
The increase in HP and Torque was after adding 3" exhaust all the way back and ported heads. The first numbers came with the IM and Long tubes. Tuned with 93 octane.
My tuner/engine builder was not able to find cams that he liked. Yes there are cams staged 1,2,3 But none of them he was happy with for road course. I'd rather see higher torque numbers.
I did OPG, timing and added an oil cooler, the car runs absolutely amazing!

Sponsored

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
And this is what I was talking about - porting gives power but it will not move power band up where the tru power lies - for that you need more duration.
You can't have more lift in this engine without new pistons so you gonna need to either do that or live with Comps.

I should have my parts(billet opg&cs, comps stage 3 and ARP hardware) withing 2-3 weeks so I will let you know how it turned out.

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Here is the comparison.
The increase in HP and Torque was after adding 3" exhaust all the way back and ported heads. The first numbers came with the IM and Long tubes. Tuned with 93 octane.
My tuner/engine builder was not able to find cams that he liked. Yes there are cams staged 1,2,3 But none of them he was happy with for road course. I'd rather see higher torque numbers.
I did OPG, timing and added an oil cooler, the car runs absolutely amazing!

[MENTION=23031]mnmike59[/MENTION] Is that AFR reading correct from your car on the dyno? Also, did your tuner dabble in VCT adjustments with the new heads?

~Kris

Last edited:

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
And this is what I was talking about - porting gives power but it will not move power band up where the tru power lies - for that you need more duration.
You can't have more lift in this engine without new pistons so you gonna need to either do that or live with Comps.

I should have my parts(billet opg&cs, comps stage 3 and ARP hardware) withing 2-3 weeks so I will let you know how it turned out.
I was never talking about moving the power band up like you keep saying.

That chart is exactly what i was asking about and it shows the gains from the ported heads and exhaust.

The gains from 5200ish rpm to 7200 rpm is all from the ported heads and exhaust that is useable power in a 2k window.

where it falls off is not what i cared about. what i wanted to see is where in the rpm range the gains were being made. that graph shows from 5200ish on up them heads begin to shine.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
I was never talking about moving the power band up like you keep saying.

That chart is exactly what i was asking about and it shows the gains from the ported heads and exhaust.

The gains from 5200ish rpm to 7200 rpm is all from the ported heads and exhaust that is useable power in a 2k window.

where it falls off is not what i cared about. what i wanted to see is where in the rpm range the gains were being made. that graph shows from 5200ish on up them heads begin to shine.
This thread is not about YOU I reckon - it's about 500RWHP...

Sponsored

Scp-steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gtpp
What cyl head is on the car too
Cnc or hand ported ?
Cnc then hand ported?

Sponsored
OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I think for the most part it's good reading and brings up some interesting points. I will not be switching valve springs. Should get underway Tuesday and Dyno tune on Wednesday if all goes well. Lund and Finish Line performance will be handling it...

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I think for the most part it's good reading and brings up some interesting points. I will not be switching valve springs. Should get underway Tuesday and Dyno tune on Wednesday if all goes well. Lund and Finish Line performance will be handling it...
If I am not mistaken I think the stage 3s get VCT locked, that's one thing I DO NOT like about those cams. But they should make solid power.

Kris

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Correction, just as mentioned, they do utilize stock phasers and do not have a limit set. All comp cam options are only .002" more lift, only duration changes, that is how they will allow for stock valve springs and do not require a phaser lock. I was mistaken on brand that locks out their cams, I saw this on a local car. It may have been MMR cams, if they make them, if that sounds right?

That being said, whoever your tuner is OP, MAKE THEM CALIBRATE VCT...

Kris

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
want to see how big of a deal vct really is check this out.

http://www.fordnxt.com/news/how-much-power-does-coyote-vct-account-for-aem-answers-the-question/

The testing conducted by AEM proves how vital the VCT system is. With no VCT, the Coyote engine peaks out at 6,500 RPM making 423.1 hp. With the intake only VCT, the engine only picks up 5.8 peak horsepower jumping to 428.9 hp at the same 6,500 RPM. With the exhaust VCT also activated, the engine puts out 465.4 hp at 6,500 RPM. This is where carefully studying the dyno information is valuable. A total gain at peak RPM of 42.3 hp might not sound like its worth the trouble of the VCT, but closer inspection shows a much bigger story. At 3,900 RPM the engine is making 109.3 hp more with the VCT activated than it was without.

The story is very similar, and perhaps even more dramatic in terms of torque. With no VCT the engine made 368.6 lb-ft at 5,400 RPM. With the intake VCT active, that torque jumps to a peak of 412.2 lb-ft, and the peak drops down to 4,400 RPM, torque stays above 400 lb-ft until nearly 5,400 RPM. Activating the VCT on the exhaust cam shows another substantial spike in peak torque output, taking total peak torque to 454.4 lb-ft at 4,400 RPM. That’s a gain of 85.8 lb-ft, at peak.

Once again with torque, the graph proves out how valuable the VCT is for torque as well. Take a look at the torque graph at 3,700 RPM. At that point we can see that with VCT, the Coyote engine is making another 149.9 lb-ft than without. Even at the horsepower peak of 6,500 RPM, torque with VCT active is still outrunning torque with it deactivated, with the engine making over 375 lb-ft at 6,500 RPM. The non VCT setup never outmatches the VCT activated setup for torque or horsepower, especially below peak where it matters the most.
Sponsored